Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #46
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse
It has to be that the pleasure is worth the pain.
Wish I knew(or at least wanted to know) how to work on-em.
I'd most certainly own one.
Well Come on Over Tony, Well learn Together, I got wireing on the way, and maybe a leak at the drive shaft.
Arebin, I broke the kickstand yesterday..

I got a pm from a guy, that came and looked at the 990 some time a go, he is going to pick up a 09-530 EXC this week, so we got new meat. Dont new guys have to buy every one a tank of gas, after there first ADV ride....
forrestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #47
slomo510
what to ride today?

Oddometer: 200
Had a fun time with ya'll in blackwater... i hope i get to do some more riding in '10!
WERA#510
2013 R1200GSW
slomo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 AM   #48
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,830
Last Ride!

It is not yet 2010 so there may be more to post here. I know there is one more ride in progress.

WAIT FOR IT !

Mug? Inept?

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #49
ineptizoid OP
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,336
Teaser pic:

Outstanding end-of-the-year ride in Eglin's east end! I'll be updating the thread with more pics soon.

In the meantime, a fellow ADVer is coming thru town this evening and will be "Tent Spacing" it at my place. Any of you hooligans want to come by for a cold one and some ADV-type camaraderie, feel free. Denalidirt should be in town by 6 or so...

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #50
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
What a treat to come home to. Good work Tony.

I always figgered we were cut from the same cloth: it was somewhere on the road yesterday or today, in GA or FL, that i thought it would be cool to do a 2009 Year In Review.

Lots of good riding and gathering w/ you folks this year. I'm sure grateful for it all.

Best wishes to all for a great holiday and New Year
+1K

thanks for this thread inept, I had forgotten some of the best highlights of this last year. heres to another one just as good/mo betta!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #51
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid
In the meantime, a fellow ADVer is coming thru town this evening and will be "Tent Spacing" it at my place. Any of you hooligans want to come by for a cold one and some ADV-type camaraderie, feel free. Denalidirt should be in town by 6 or so...
Feed him some more Mexican food, we served him some Enchiladas last night and informed him all about the SICK SOCIETY!
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #52
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,863
cough cough cough

SOCIETY!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #53
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,905
MU13-B year-ender

Until Inept pipes in w/ his coverage, here's my humble submit.

Hitting MU13-B is an end of year tradition for me. For the last few years i've done it solo, but this year i had Tony to keep me company. Very cool. Inept's always a great riding partner

To get your bearings, 13-B is way the hell over to the east-- as far east on the EG reservation that you can go. EG is bordered on the east by US331, and 13-B is just south of Defuniak:

It's a great riding area-- more like Blackwater than anywhere else on EG. And it's not open all that much, so it has a bit of 'rare' cachet going for it. Is it worth the ride over from the west and overnighting in Defuniak? Not to some, but absolutely is to me

Meet at Inept Haus Monday morn

The plan was to hook up with Vic at Speck Pond after noon at some point.

Before jumping into the range we hit the last gas stop at the Tom Thumb on 87. As we pull up to the pumps we see a familiar-looking oval sticker...

Turns out to be ADVer 'Probe' with his KLR on the bumper hitch

Probe's cool (of course) and man does he have stories-- we yack and agree to ride together across the range to Speck Pond to meet w/ Vic

We get through the weird no-cell zone around Turkey Creek and i find a text from Vic that he's already headed to Speck. We burn up 85 to hit RR213 and cook it quickly to 285 and up to Speck. Vic's in the cab of his truck ready to ride and get cold

Probe has to take off back to his truck all the way across the reservation back on 87. Good guy-- was cool to meet and ride and share stories w/ him. We'll be seeing more of Probe, believe it

To be continued
Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #54
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Thumb

rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #55
Mugwest

MU13-B year-ender

Probe has left Speck Pond and Vic leads us off into familiar Indigo haunts. I shadow Vic at speed in the twisties and marvel how hard i'm working while he has his left hand on his hip most of the time

This was the same area we ran the Fleas through at Sweatfest I in 2008. Had not been there since then, so it was a cool refresher

I steered us toward 13-B since it was getting late. We stopped at the Hat Tree (just outside a live range) and Vic and i posted hats.

We all signed my hat, which was in honor of my late step-father who worked for Wagner Brake and Lighting

Vic peeled off to head back to his truck, and Inept and i continued on to 13-B.

We haul ass to the game check station at RR200 and my jaw drops to see the red range gates chained shut I had called the Guard weeks earlier to check 13-B's schedule and was told 2x that it was open from 18 December on. Have you seen a Pissed MugTM ?? Inept has

It's sundown anyway so we loop around 13-B and head up to our cheap hotel home for the night. Offload gear and head a few blocks up 331 to the wally-world for feed and beer. Get the necessaries for burritos and suds and rail back to the room.

Those of you who were privy to Inept's $ANF$ fireside stories ain't heard nuthin' yet. Much laughter, much TV critique, and not so much as a noise complaint (it helps when you stay at a hotel that is a ghost town)

Up in the morning and first on my list is to finally locate the Cosson Farm bombing site. I first heard of this incident back in high school, and through the years i've asked Defuniak locals about it. Seems everyone wanted to forget it. A few weeks ago i finally figured out where it was, and with heavy hearts Tony and i went there

The facts: on 11th August 1944 the Eglin ranges were being pounded by bombs as per usual. Nothing new to the aircrews flying or the locals who lived nearby. Night bombing was routine as the wartime mission needs ramped up.

But 11 August was different: as the Cosson family was gathered at their farm a scant 1 mile from the EG boundary (and 3 miles from the nearest live range), cluster bomblets came sailing in.

In seconds 2 family members were shredded, and 2 more mortally wounded. Additional survivors were seriously wounded, one being paralyzed for life. The bodies were loaded in a pickup and hauled to the hospital in Defuniak, 7-odd miles away on dirt roads.

According to the story, the nurse in charge said there was no room and that the Cossons were near death and to take them to the undertaker. An Army officer from Eglin showed up and ordered the nurse to treat them or he would place the Defuniak hospital under martial law.

Should you care to learn more use Google: "Cosson Bombing". There's a lot to become irate about at how this family was treated.

Map view:

The EG boundary is the orange line. The distance between range C-62 and the Cosson farm is 3 miles.

So Inept and i dutifully found the site:

I felt pretty damned solemn there.

I was surprised to see the same locally-painted circa 1980's sign at the site, when i'd read that Congressman Jeff Miller had passed a 2003 bill in Congress to task the Air Force with erecting and maintaining a memorial there-- but Inept and i saw recent survey stakes in place so maybe they'll be getting to it before too long

The surviving family was told by an Eglin nurse years later that the pilot of the aircraft went insane when he was told of the carnage of that night

This story touches me.

To be continued

Mugwest screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 10:36 PM
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #56
Mugwest

MU13-B year-ender

So the somber mood needs to be lightened. Best way to do that is hit the EG woods, of course.

Undaunted by the sight of closed range gates the day before, we try a smaller, less-used trail into 13-B that i found last year. My plan was to take a series of small tracks in that are not gated-- then if busted a plausible entry story would be available

Turns out not to be necessary: someone had left the range gate wide open. We sailed through yee-hawing at our good luck

Inept's stoked at getting into the legendary 13-B

We roam around having fun and not seeing a soul. In one thicket near some target trucks there was what looked like bear shit all over the place.

The mudded-out climbs and descents of last year were just as gnarly this year

After i go through the middle (deep) the better Inept line looks to be in the runoff ditch-- all hardpan clay as the mud was all washed away:

his wheels (and boots ) were a bit cleaner than mine

This stuff is fun and challenging to stay upright in-- at its deepest, it's nearly up to the top of the boot, definitely more than axle-deep. But the bottom is hard, so you can just sink in and eventually get traction

climbed this 80-foot dude (called 'Match Point tower' on my old 1968 range map), which i'd been wanting to do for years. It's still very sturdy, much more than it looks.

Inept got some video from the top deck-- that's one hair-raising spectacular view from up there. No railing to interfere w/ the panorama either

We make our way quietly to the main game check station to see if the gate is still locked as on the previous day. It is, so we surmise that 13-B was officially closed, and that we just lucked out that the back gate was left open by someone. We skedaddle back into the unit to play some more

It's the sun that finally runs us out. We need some rays to make it all the way back to the west side, so we bid adieu to a cool riding area.

Be back in a year, if not sooner

Headed back west and homeward we pop into Indigo for a break and to look for Mini's Glockenteile. No dice, Brian.

Inept remarked at what a memory-laden place Indigo is-- Indeed. In the still pines you can almost hear the hoots and hollers of "FREEDOM!!!" and giant cannonball splashes off the dock. And man, that dock simply did not look right without 13 bikes parked on it

There's still physical evidence of some Hooliganism, too

Cold ride getting home, but of course worth every ounce of effort. Great to have Probe and Vic along on the first day. Probe, come ride w/ us more often-- i'm sure you know a bunch of places that we have'nt seen yet

As so often happens, the end of one adventure spawns the concept of another: at Indigo Inept was sufficiently moved to declare his intention to host a late winter/early Spring camp outing on the eastern range. Indigo or perhaps Basin Bayou-- i'm Automatic In.

Happy New Year YFF's. Great times riding with you folks this year-- Hooligans, Fleas, TLH Peckerwoods, all. I'm confident '10 will be chock full of fine times as well.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #57
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,170

Mini Trail screwed with this post 12-31-2009 at 10:49 AM
Mini Trail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #58
slomo510
what to ride today?

Oddometer: 200
Mug, would love to do the MU13 run on slicks with ya'll some day... let me know when ya;ll want to get out there agian.. i dotn get home from the rig till the 4th
-Richard
WERA#510
2013 R1200GSW
slomo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #59
ineptizoid OP
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,336
Last Hooligan ride of '09

As Mug already said, we had a good time riding with Vic and Jimmy on Monday. Jimmy rides his KLR all over EG, he's been exploring out there for about 40 years, so he's pretty familiar with the place. He's got lotsa good stories too! We crashed in "DeFunk" for the night and Mug prepared a MugMeal (TM):

After a long day in the saddle, this was some good grub! Ate/drank a few of these. I mighta overdone it a wee bit with that red pepper, I was feelin' it in the morning--it burns you twice:

Stopped at the Cosson Family Memorial; I hadn't even heard about this incident until Mug told me about it:

Lotsa old target vehicles out on MU-13B:

Mug ran his DR thru some mud; I told him that since it was orange, it would probably make his bike faster:

We climbed the old tower out there in MU-13B, what a view!

Our bikes as seen from the top:

If you can see them, they can see you

Mug found a snake, we were wondering what kind of snake it was. My guess is a Banded Watersnake. Paging Buzztail to the white courtesy phone:

Good ride, good times! A fantastic way to end the year. Let's do it again!

AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERY ONE OF YOU. (EVEN SDH!)

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #60
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,863
Common Florida Brown snake

Storeria dekayi victa

http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/ << Good bit of info about the locals

Banded watersnake Nerodia fasciata pictiventris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail