User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #76
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Bartron,
Thanks. Just to follow up and put closure to this, my LeoVince came out of the box with the baffle installed at the exit end of the muffler. The 5 hole disc appears to be something that they include that you install between the short pipe and the inlet side of the muffler to eliminate/reduce popping on deceleration. Thanks for your photos in the exhaust post. Extra bolts aren't needed for F800 installation.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #77
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 693
So, finally got around to half-installing the Holan balanced rack on the bike. I had a half-stripped bolt which I ended up stripping completely so I'll have to deal with that before the install is completed.

However, I did make peace with the Holan rack and the LV Carbon exhaust.

It is not straight plug and play. You have to play with the orientation of the header link-pipe (number 2) and the pipe. Then you have to bring the exhaust closer in to the body of the bike. Bringing it in close involves some modification of the mounting bits.

The LV installation calls for a spacer (number 4) between the can and the bike-mount.

To make this work, you need to:

1. Decrease the spacer. Cut it in half, get rid of it completely, use a bunch of washers, etc. I used a spacer I had around which is about 1/3rd the size of LV's.

2. Use a shorter bolt. The LV bolt is designed to work with the big spacer. There's not enough thread in the frame to use the LV bolt and tighten all the way in (plus it has a lag-bolt neck). I had one around, so popped that in.

Voila, near the footpeg there's about 3/4 inch of room and at the back there's just over an inch.

There's some tension on the system with all this, as there is even with the stock LV install. Time will tell if everything will blow apart on the trail - should give some warning though.

I'll post pics once I'm done the rest of the install.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #78
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

I installed my Holan balanced racks two nights ago and found the same situation. The front of the LeoVince hits the inside of the Holan frame at the front of the pipe (header end). I twisted the link pipe and twisted the exhaust pipe to gain a bit of clearance. I could only end up with about 1/32" to 1/16" of clearance. This put quite a bit of pull on the system and I had to really hold the muffler up and in to get the bolt in. When I rode it yesterday there was exhaust leakage as the sound was much louder than before. Tonight I took it apart and set it up closer to where it is supposed to be. This took all the strain out of the system and took out the exhaust leakage. Now quiet again. However, the pipe is touching the rack again. I am thinking about putting a kink in the link pipe with a hammer but not sure if this is a good idea or not. There is plenty of clearance at the rear. It is just at the front I have an issue. I would like to get about a half an inch of clearance in case I drop the bike and the rack bends a bit. The racks look great and are beefy. Just got to work out the issue with the pipe.

oclv454 screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 08:38 PM
Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #79
alan
if the helmet fits..

Oddometer: 44
gotta go

Time to buy some carrying capacity as I want to take a late sunshine trip to Spain.
Been scanning ebay but nada so have to buy new :o(

Asked Fuel and Beowulf if their product fits under the Holan setup but both companies obviously share similare sales prevention policy and are not interested in finding an answer so it will be one of the four pipes mentioned on page one. Probably garden shed products

(I expect to see Holan/Metal Mule rack with narrow exhaust on ebay the day after I place my order)

Thanks to everyone for a very useful topic
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #80
alan
if the helmet fits..

beowulf

Just called Beowulf again to see if they could confirm if the pipe fits with MM/Hoan rack and 'Sharon' offered a full refund if the pipe didn't fit! Not bad for 10 postage especially as their pipe is half the price of others
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #81
alan
if the helmet fits..

update

I've bitten the bullet and gone for a Metal Mule set up for the followin reasons.

The M/M frames are actually narrower than the Holan.
The M/M pipe is specifically made (by Scorpion) so misses the framework at both ends plus it is also longer so the contents of the right pannier are not cooked and the panny itself not blackened with soot.
The build quality is top notch and the quick release will be a godsend when squeezing through narrow gateways/picking up fallen bike/ease of removal for dodgy overnight stops. Not to mention looking for a sturdy seat when camping

Same thing with the engine bars and bash plate.
Read that so many bars foul bash plates so gone for the whole package and got a discount for doing so.
All good!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #82
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Congrats. I've heard the MM are top notch. The racks being a bit narrower is correct. From what I have heard, this is achieved by pushing the racks further rearward where the body work is narrower. This puts the weight further back and doesn't lend as well to the frames helping to prevent body damage in tip overs when the bags are off.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #83
alan
if the helmet fits..

Oh!

Is that right? Can't be much difference surely. The cases should help protect the bike and myself on my travels and I thought having the narrowest possible as well as the narrowest pannier option would help maneuverability and fuel economy.
At the end of the day there is no perfect solution especially if you factor cost into the equation but I'm happy.

Just trying to remember the formula women use for multiple shoe purchases where the sum of the text on your credit card statement is smaller than the size of the package that arrives in the post...
Old 10-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #84
alan
if the helmet fits..

I think the rack and the passenger peg seem to protect the bike judging by the lackof damage shown on this metal mule promo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r1Yv...eature=related
Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #85
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
bump.... any new updates for anyone?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #86
motogaz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
So what's the resolution??

Can you attach pics of your balanced system, part list and install info?? It would be a huge help for this noob.

Also, how much does it suck to not have a balanced system, a little or a lot?

Thanks again
motogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #87
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 693
I overcame the touching LeoVince to the Holan rack issue by getting rid of the spacer and playing around with rotation of the link pipe IIRC. Several thousand offroad miles later, nothing has moved, rubbed or failed. The racks are solid and held up my Wolfman Expo's well.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #88
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 962
Here is Holan balanced with MiVV Suono. Works great.

2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:25 AM   #89
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
From this picture it looks like they achieve part of the "balance" by spacing out the right side more than necessary. Is that the case?
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 AM   #90
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Right side is the same as their unbalanced set. The frame stick out only as far as necessary to place them that far forward (theres that point in the tank at the widest part, its pretty close to this). Metal mule get closer by moving the frames further rearward behind that point.

Unbalanced sucks a lot in my opinion!! The rear end is wide enough without being unbalanced as well!
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote