sent from my banana phone.
Solo Ride – Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back – 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #107
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
For the benefit of others, here is how the Holan racks fit with the BMW Akrapovik exhaust. Long story short, yes, it fits. Yes it requires a bit of modification with an instrument of persuasion. I didn't know this going into it, as someone else posted that it works, but if you can handle hammering your $$$ titanium exhaust with a ball peen hammer, yep, it fits.

The issue is not at the back, where other have posted pics. This issue is the front of the rack near the front of the exhaust can. The exhaust can be fit without hammering, but it is stressing the cat and pressing on the can.

So, on to the hammering! It's not the first time I've hammered an exhaust into place, and probably won't be the last!

The Rear: Not an issue, but I did end up giving it a few whacks just in case.

The problem: rubbing up front.

Mark out the path of destruction with a marker:

Hammer away... I tried to use a proper die but it's just easier to use the hammer directly, even when off the bike and hammering on a concrete floor. And when you're done, and the racks are back on, you actually cannot see the hammer marks. Either way, my bike is an adventure bike not a show queen, so with the other evidence of crashes, I don't give a shit about some dents in the exhaust can.

Clearance. Not much, but sufficient.

Done:

And a pic with the new bags. Thanks to Jason at ADVmotorrad for the rack and bags, he's a great guy to deal with!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #108
Rharrod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Nice,
Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #109
CharlieK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Akrapovic are pretty tucked in vs. stock..

CharlieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #110
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Nice comparison vid. I think the Akrapovik sounds great without the baffle. Not actually that much louder and certainly not annoyingly loud, but lets out deep notes. Certainly weighs a lot less than the stocker too.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #111
Geppe
Joven

Oddometer: 2
Hello I wonder if you guys can measure the width of just the rack, of the Holan (balanced) and also the Metal Mule (balanced), I want to see if there is big difference.

Is it any other balance panniers out there or this two brands are the only ones that make them. I have also though about making the rack myself and fit them the closest way possible.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #112
Kibo303
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
My Metal mule balanced racks should be in next week and can check for ya. I believe they put the CM width on their websites?
Kibo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #113
Lager Meister OP
Work less, ride more

Oddometer: 153
The Holan balanced rack measures 21" across the back "inside-to-inside" and 22-3/8" outside-to-outside. There's 1-1/4" clearance between the rack and the exhaust. I'm using the Metal Mule exhaust. If you make your own racks, you could maybe make them 1" to 1-1/2" narrower overall compared to the Holans, depending on which exhaust you go with and how much clearance you're comfortable with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lager Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #114
Ronnybonnyswe
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Very useful info! I have Twobrothers exaust and I would like Holan balanced rack with the newest Touratech Zega Pro2. Are the dimensions of Holan and TT loops exactly the same? (TT-350mm×245mm outside, 18mm) Are there any brackets in the way of TT? I wonder because you can not change the fittings on the TT pro2. "It is factory-fitted with an*entirely new attachment system*that combines suitability with maximum ease of use, facilitating single-handed use - you could say it's "Plug and play" for fully packed aluminium panniers!"
Ronnybonnyswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #115
Lager Meister OP
Work less, ride more

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnybonnyswe View Post
Very useful info! I have Twobrothers exaust and I would like Holan balanced rack with the newest Touratech Zega Pro2. Are the dimensions of Holan and TT loops exactly the same? (TT-350mm×245mm outside, 18mm) Are there any brackets in the way of TT? I wonder because you can not change the fittings on the TT pro2. "It is factory-fitted with an*entirely new attachment system*that combines suitability with maximum ease of use, facilitating single-handed use - you could say it's "Plug and play" for fully packed aluminium panniers!"
The hoops on my Holan rack are ~350mm x ~248mm (outside). I bought the Zega Pros and installed the 18mm mount kits myself. They fit very snug on the Holan rack, but they won't fit on the Touratech rack on my wife's G650GS. They're only off by a few millimeters, but it's enough that they just won't fit. I bought my rack in early 2010, so it would be helpful to get measurements from others who bought their racks more recently to make sure the dimensions haven't changed to be compatible with TT.
Lager Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #116
Cdlabate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I installed the MIVV oval carbon can today. Fits with Holan symmetrical rack no problem. Install was easy and looks good.

Cdlabate is offline   Reply With Quote