Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #46
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
When I woke up the next morning I discovered the first carnage to my bike. I still don't understand how, but somehow I cracked the casting on the fork where the fork guard attaches.

THat first day the we were all very diligent in looking at and fixing our bikes...
Mike Kay & 610

SepticSkeptic & 610

BentAero & his 310 (note the Kolpin fuel tank for later

Lifeinsepia (510 I think)

THe hotel we stayed at was pretty decent, $70 split in 2 or sometmes 3 ways wasn't too bad.

Forgot to mention After a checkpoint the group took off but I flagged down Mike and stopped him, JCH4 saw us take off but didn't see us stop so he slid to a stop to avoid crashing into us. Sorry for that dude!
Anyway, the next day I snuck a stealth photo of JCH4's road rash from the incident...

Got a little reminder of the season.

We had a decent breakfast at the hotel, I had my normal order of Huevos Rancheros

I dunno what happened between these guys the night before, but Septic Skeptic is suddenly happily out of the closet, and Lifeinsepia is ashamed, very ashamed.

Eventually we hit the road. And had a pretty good run through some sandy whoops. No pix cuz it was fast and scary.
the road was pretty whooped out so we haded back twoards the water, and Mike wanted to check out his old house so we headed to the beach.

The sand on the beach was surprisingly much deeper than the sand we'd been in til that point and I thought that stuff was pretty deep. the sand was full of shell too.

Me, Yossarian, Mike and SepticSkeptic got way out in front.

We waited a while and eventually Mike decided to turn around and go back for the others.

As soon as he turned 'round the others came around the corner.

Mike looked back asking if we should proceed or turn back. I thought WTF and gave him a thumbs up.

After he went I realized the tide was high and he timed it pretty perfectly to follow the swell of water and not get wet.

Yossarian opted for the go around but got a little stuck going up hill

Me and SepticSkeptic were the only ones who followed Mike into the Sea of Cortez. My wave timing was, um, not good.
I got quite wet and darned near wiped out on a big rock at the end. Eventually though the three of us made it to the other side and I was looking forward to a little more beach riding. But only a few of the others found us again on the beach, and it turned out some of the guys we done with the deep sand so we hit the road for Gonzaga.

Even though I knew they were there and what to expect I had some exciting moments on the Vados (dips) in the road to Puertocitos. I caught some pretty good air a couple of times.

Gas at Puertocitos was open and we gassed up. We were sposed to meet the chase truck there, but couldn't find him so we drove around a bit looking for him. THe Pemex guy said he saw the truck/trailer go through 15 or 20 min before us.
So we hit the road and went toward Gonzaga
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #47
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a cool video from norcalslowpoke:

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #48
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

The road past Puertocitos is progressing quickly. :
There is no mistake about it, the Government of Mexico has raised the priority of roads throughout Baja. We ran into it several times on this trip, many roads that were dirt a year or two ago are paved now.
As much as we complain about the Mexicans taking over California, the opposite is certainly just as true, the gringo's are having a HUGE and negative impact as well.

Since I knew you'all were gonna ask, I did some GPS marking...
I have the end of the pavement about N30 08.568 W114 38.480

There really is very little left of the road from Puertocitos.
I was here less than a year ago, and all of the 'hard' parts have been paved.

There was a fair bit of traffic on the road, some really, REALLY heavily loaded bikes that were going pretty slow. I started 'feeling it' and so I was BOMBING down the road. I blew by a bunch of KLR's and some DRZ's and even a few Road bikes. Not to mention the typical campers and pickups etc.
We turned off and took the old road to Gonzaga,

It didn't take long for us to find a bit more challenge, and JCH4 had a small biff turning in sand.

Eventually the wash turned on to a road.
Life in Sepia

Yossarian

The road led straight to the infamous Alfonsina's. At the Pemex we ran into the guy on the 640 who was waiting for his bud on the KLR. And Waiting... And Waiting... And Well, he had made a pillow and was taking a nice siesta.

After a little while the others rolled up...

I've actually never seen a KTM so loaded before

these guys take the hardcore biker of the day award though...

We spent a little time chillaxing and exploring the beach

Norcalslowpoke:

Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #49
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
I so want to ride through Baja! Thanks for taking us along.. really appreciating all those pics
Old 01-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #50
HiggyB
El Pollo Gordo

Oddometer: 299
Aweomse, the pics of Alfonsina's and the ride there took me right back to my recent trip in November!

Baja Again: Another solo ride around northern Baja ADV Photo Thread | Full Ride Report

HiggyB.com | About Me | KTM 950 Adventure | Ride Reports | Videos
HiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #51
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,818
very nice rr and i'm so jealous...

more please....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #52
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,882
What a cool pic of my "loaded KTM"
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #53
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
I parked by the beach to take pics and think I saw you guys go down the road. It took me a lot longer to get through the same path and missed you guys at the end.

Had the van.

Great pics and good team work with this crew.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #54
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
I parked by the beach to take pics and think I saw you guys go down the road. It took me a lot longer to get through the same path and missed you guys at the end.

Had the van.

Great pics and good team work with this crew.
Yeah, we had a incident before coco's as you'll see and they weren;t gonna stay around. Too bad we missed you. Honestly we were kinda anti-social on this trip. I blame it on a drive to get all the way down on a short schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
What a cool pic of my "loaded KTM"
LOL, I LOVED the mounted WD40 can! I'ma gonna get me an adventure someday
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #55
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,270
nice ride xymo.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #56
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just got some additional pics from Septic Skeptic

here's me the morning we left San Felipe, before the beach.

photo: SepticSkeptic

Lifeinsepia

norcalslowpoke

here's one of me taking a picture when we got to the beach. R -> L BentAero, Xymotic, Lifeinsepia, Mike Kay

FWIW, here's the shot I took

here's one of me just S. of Puertocitos

Yossarian, same spot

Here's his shot of our lunch @ alfonsina's.
Mike Kay, BentAero, Yossarian, norcalslowpoke, xymotic, jch4

We ran into these two the night before. The rider was following the jeep, because he had no headlight. The Jeep however, has no shocks. So needless to say they were a bit slower going down the deep sand than a guy on a 610 with dual HID's for example :)

The street bike guys left Alfonsna's shortly after we did.

OK, so as I said before, I was feelin it on this road. Now I had a few shrimp tacos, 1/2 a vicoden and a couple cerveza's. Life was good.
I was flyin. 55 or 60 mph, then there was a pretty deep dip that I didn't see till I was on top of it. No Biggie, I've hit dozens of these things.
Well, whoooo boy! My suspension wasn't setup quite right, and my rear shock pogo-sticked me out of that dip with the bike nearly vertical on the front wheel. I remember loosing control of the bike, and that's it. I have no recollection of the impact.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #57
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #58
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Norcalslowpoke said he found me lying in the fetal position with my eyes wide open staring at him, but unresponsive. When asked my name, my response was "Ugummmmhuh"
In this Pic, john is standing where the rear of the bike 'landed' you can see the way I lost steering to the side, the hole is behind him about chest high and the pic is shot where the bike and I stopped.

I definitely took a decent hit to the noggin. The scary part is that it was the second HARD hit to the same side of the head in a week. As you'll recall I wiped out pretty hard on my test run. This was also an absolutely terrible place to eat it. Maybe 15 miles of hard dirt road from Coco's corner. I suppose if I was really in a bad way we'd have gone back to Alfonsina's and gotten a plane to come in and get me, but it would easily taken 6 hours to have gotten medical attention.

The bike looked to be in remarkably good shape, and (after 15 minutes or so) I wanted to ride but the boys would have none of it. They made me sit and relax and wait for the chase truck.

The guys really did things right, they were mad at me when I took off my helmet. They looked after me, the guys on road bikes rode ahead and told the rest of the crew what happened and the gang loaded my bike into the chase trailer.

I would have replaced the Shoei after my first big hit, but just didn't have time. This time I actually cracked the shell a little bit. This pic is me after the crash. The cruncgh at the bottom is new, the huge gouges at top were a week old. I thought they were too dang expensive, but boy I tell you I am sold on the Shoei Hornet!

All-in-all we probably lost a couple hours worth of time dealing with me because I was over-exuberant. I already knew that you need to be a little more cautious far out there, but I felt safe with a group and a truck and I rode like it was a local weekend ride. I had a long bumpy ride in the back seat of the truck to think about how dumb and lucky I had been. I also had a bit of a hard time discerning if I was getting car-sick, or if I wanted to barf because of a concussion... Well, at least I had a decent sunset to look at for a while.

photo by Septic Skeptic

photo by Septic Skeptic

Meanwhile the guys made it to coco's quite a bit sooner than we did. Coco really has the place decked out for xmas. He had a genny running, had lights all over, it looked like he had a couple campers he was even renting out to riders. Photo(s) by SepticSkeptic

click for full size
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 01-09-2010 at 02:42 PM
Old 01-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #59
SepticSkeptic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Ahhh Haaaa, Photoshop CS3 is on my borrowed laptop. PhotoMerge FTW.

SepticSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #60
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

I don't know who's fake newb you are, but I think SepticSkeptic is dead. It's uncool of you to be hacking his login.

Those look WAY better than the lame-O ones I make with the free canon photostitch software I have. I might have to break down and get cs3. So, thanks for ruining my life, again.

We went to Mexico with 8 guys but came back with 7. This FF is living the dream. Everyone should hate him accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepticSkeptic
Ahhh Haaaa, Photoshop CS3 is on my borrowed laptop. PhotoMerge FTW.

Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale