Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #61
tosaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Great story Xymotic! Thanks for sharing it, and for the great photos.

Two questions, what is the reason for zip tying the spokes and what year and model is your friends all white Husky?

Thanks and please keep the tales coming!
1986 Honda ATC350X
tosaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #62
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosaw
Great story Xymotic! Thanks for sharing it, and for the great photos.

Two questions, what is the reason for zip tying the spokes and what year and model is your friends all white Husky?

Thanks and please keep the tales coming!
When the spokes get loose, "in theory" the tie will break or get loose and it makes it easy to see if things are getting wonky. And, if you do break a spoke, again "in theory" it will keep it all together and keep it from flopping around.

I don't know the exact specifics, but it's a 350 I think. I'll ask him.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #63
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
So you're back now? Was it fun or just a bunch of serious riding? Where are the photos of those beaches you were talking about with all of the girls?

Dude, I'm going to have to recommend that you stop getting concussions. They can cause drain bamage.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #64
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
thats an adventure

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #65
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieFalls
So you're back now? Was it fun or just a bunch of serious riding? Where are the photos of those beaches you were talking about with all of the girls?

Dude, I'm going to have to recommend that you stop getting concussions. They can cause drain bamage.
It was Way fun AND serious riding, and the worst of it is whenever I found a spot where I would not DIE to stop and take a photo I did, but all my photo's make the roads look really easy.

Yes, Back now. Physically anyway, mentally I may be more gone than my normal space cadetedness.

What happens in Cabo, never happened
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #66
IMAGE111
KTM 950

Oddometer: 29
LOL I guess this Norcalslowpoke. That was my slow ass black KLR and wheatwhacker's overloaded KTM.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #67
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAGE111
LOL I guess this Norcalslowpoke. That was my slow ass black KLR and wheatwhacker's overloaded KTM.

yup Is that supposed to be a shot of hot chicks on the beach? Sadly, it's better than any I got.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #68
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Aaron,

great, GREAT photos

Who was on the 640 adv in your group? I talked with him for a while and I was a tard when he asked me if I had passed you I told him I didn't really know cuz I was flyin.

Weird thing is you actually got a picture of it

That's me in the middle, I think I just passed Septic Skeptic and was about to pass jch4. A little bit later I was all full of myself about how I blew everyone's doors off and SepticSkeptic BLEW by me off the road on a whooped out section. Passed me like I was stopped and that hurt my soul a little bit

Looking at your Coco's pix, it looks like you got there pretty early. Did you guys leave anfonsina's before us? Or did you pass me when I crashed?
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #69
IMAGE111
KTM 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Aaron,

great, GREAT photos

Who was on the 640 adv in your group? I talked with him for a while and I was atard when he asked me if I had passed you I told him I didn;t really know cuz I was flyin.

Weird thing is you actually got a picture of it

That's me in the middle, I think I just passed Septic Skeptic and was about to pass jch4. A little bit later I was all full of myself about how I blew everyone's doors off and SepticSkeptic BLEW by me off the road on a whooped out section. Passed me like I was stopped and that hurt my soul a little bit

Looking at your Coco's pix, it looks like you got there pretty early. Did you guys leave anfonsina's before us? Or did you pass me when I crashed?
Thanks!!! Roundstock was the 640 rider!!! WheatWhacker and John on the 950's I did not have a watch so I have no idea what time anything happened...LOL you guys were flying!!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #70
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks!!! Roundstock was the 660 rider!!! I did not have a watch so I have no idea what time anything happened...LOL you guys were flying!!!!!
Roundstock was cool taking a siesta at the Alfonsina's sign waiting for y'all. I looked for his bike at Alfonsina's but never saw it. I didn't realize you were all together until just now LOL. I was really ticked I didn't grab a pic of him when he waited for you, it was just so "Mexico." Seeing your pics I think I "get" why you took so long.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #71
IMAGE111
KTM 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Roundstock was cool taking a siesta at the Alfonsina's sign waiting for y'all. I looked for his bike at Alfonsina's but never saw it. I didn't realize you were all together until just now LOL. I was really ticked I didn't grab a pic of him when he waited for you, it was just so "Mexico." Seeing your pics I think I "get" why you took so long.
LOL Fuuuuckk I was not even thinking about trying to keep up with him..... this was my first big trip. He was so super cool and patient. You guys should hook up next time you would have fun... We kind of all met up and started riding together in San Felipe...
Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #72
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
LOL Fuuuuckk I was not even thinking about trying to keep up with him..... this was my first big trip. He was so super cool and patient. You guys should hook up next time you would have fun... We kind of all met up and started riding together in San Felipe...
You should prolly come ride with the LA Weekend ride here on ADV, great bunch of riders, though we can be squids (we need more shooters LOL)
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #73
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

As you can see the guys got to Coco's about sunset, we got there quite a while later in the truck. The guys left almost as soon as we showed up. In this pic you can see they are just streaks :)

I was rushed so I didn't really get to talk to Coco, but I did go in and wish him well. Last time I saw him was right after he lost the second leg, and he didn't look good. But I have to say he seems happy, he had a lot of family around and he was really doing well.

We discovered that my bike had taken a bit of a spill in the trailer.

Because my little adventure cost us some time, we decided we needed to highway it to Bay of Los Angeles. The guys on the 310 and 350 were not looking forward to making a long slab run in the cold and dark so we loaded them up and there were now 5 of us in the truck.

Even though it was pretty late, the proprietor of the hotel in Bay of LA opened the kitchen and cooked us all a good meal. The next day we unloaded the bikes and I got to have my first good look at the bike.

Initially I thuoght I'd bent the bars a little. I took off the top clamp and adjusted some stuff which is when I discovered I had actually bent the top clamp.

I also really bent the through bolts that held the risers to the forks. This became a much larger issue, because when I tried to re-attach stuff I stripped out the riser. I was depressed that my trip was over after the second day.

I seriously thought my ride was over.
Then, to my amazement John says "you need a HDB top clamp? I think I have one! And then produced a huge bag of spare parts.

He didn't have a top clamp, but he did have two HDB bar risers which were exactly what I needed.

It was surreal to be in Mexico and have aftermarket Husqvarna parts magically appear.

The Owner heard about my crash and had offered to drive me back to TJ if I needed. He also sent his Maintenance guy over to help, and he took my top clamp and bent riser bolts and disappeared for 30 minutes.

When he came back he'd straightened the clamp and riser and I was able to get everything put back together.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 01-10-2010 at 12:24 AM
Old 01-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #74
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 737
Repairs to go...

That repair is the essence of Baja.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #75
xymotic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood
That repair is the essence of Baja.
Eggzactly
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale