Old 01-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #91
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
Wow! Awesome report, stunning photography
We aim to please

I'll get the next bits up today and tomorrow, so stay tuned !

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #92
littleDONKEY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Day 02 - 26/7-09 (Hiking to Prekestolen)
First peek of the fjord.....

.........and around the next corner - the pulpit

Lars just making sure our track has been logged

There are many different ways to near the edge. Here's one technique. Used by many I might add. It's a huge drop.

Here is the other way

Lars isn't too keen on heights so I thought I'd show him how the view from the edge was.

Wonder how many pictures are now circulating around the interwebs with a point of view from the cruice ship looking up ?

P: Lars ('s camera, hehe)
Realy nice pictures...just Amazing!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #93
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Day 11 - 5/8-09
225 km - Total milage: 3992 km
Stabbursdalen - Kautokeino

Recycling an image from the previous day to remind everyone what region of the world we are in.

The trip was in reality over. We'd acclomplished what we set out to and the combination of the cancelled road racing in Mo i Rana on the return trip and my almost hospitalized machine, we'd decided to ride the shortest way back down to Oslo through Finland and Sweden. The terrain on this route is not very challenging so we were hoping my bike would make it....

The first leg would take us to Kautokeino by way of Karasjok, in the heart of Sami country.

Saying our goodbyes to the makeshift chef from the night before

All pictures this day is by Lars (or at least his camera)

Thick seafog held a firm grip on the budding morning, but the road was nice and the sun would soon prevail anyhow

We saw this in Porsanger; "Reindeer police"....snicker....

This is where we had a late breakfast

We really were very lucky with the weather after the first week

Signs up here are in Sami first, then Norwegian.

Riding into Karasjok we filled our tanks and went on a hunt for maps showing the region in greater detail than the ones we already had. After finding the maps we settled in with an ice cream in the sun and along comes this guy on a scooter dressed to tour the world.

His name was Honda Kawayamazuki....... (just guessing, it might be something different entirely) was on a world trip and had ridden his scooter from Tokyo through Russia and was now on a mission to make it to North Cape. We loked at maps and pointed him in the right diection. He was a serious chain smoker too, must've lit four cigs just in the 20 minutes we were talking to him.

We wished him luck and set off in the opposite direction of Honda

In Kautokeino we rode into this site; Arctic Motell AS, phone: (+47) 78 48 54 00
[ GPS: N68 59.869 E23 02.276 ]

It was very nice. The people we're nice and the grass was nice. The amenities were old, but clean.
These chairs cost us NOK 90,- a piece at Jysk and they worked perfectly the whole trip. Very good investment in a country where sitting on the ground leaves you with wet pants more often than not.

To paraphrase Doctor Sheldon Cooper: Bazinga ! Yet again you've fallen victim to another one of my practical jokes (The Big Bang Theory)

How much fun is it to "barrow" someones camera and take obscure pictures only to let the owner discover the nice "present" in the comfort of their own home days or weeks later ?!

I've left out the one where I pointed the camera down the front of my pants.....

There were insects in Nothern Norway to say the least. Both in Stabbursdalen and here in Kautokeino we were fighting a losing battle with the bloodsuckers.

Don't know if this one was mid flight or sitting on the lense, cool non the less

Like most other days this one was comming to an end and since we were late in the season we would actually see the sun dipping below the horizon

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #94
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Day 12 - 6/8-09
492 km - Total milage: 4484 km
Kautokeino (Norway) through Finland to Rörbäck (Sweden)

Yet again recycling a map

Another glorious day in Lars and Thomas land and we didn't waste any time packing our shit and getting ready for departure. This was to be the distance we covered

Drying some laundry

P: Lars

The mosquitoes were mostly nocturnal, but the gnats were ever present (you can see them in the air agasint the black of my boots)

Gnatbites and me is a bad combination so I try to avoid them. Lars isn't that bothered.

Lars has just washed the lenses to his goggles and we're ready

The road south is pretty monotone like most other high plain roads. I'm not saying it's boring or anything, but there's not that much to stop and take pictures of.

Near the Finnish border

Norway, Sweden and Finland have open borders so you don't have to stop - not that there's anything to stop for.....just a sign saying you're entering another country

We crossed the arctic circle again, this time in Finland

I bled my cooling system for the nth time over the last few days and it was becomming more and more obvious I was probably not going to make it all the way home...

(translation Cock Ola)

We crossed back into Sweden and stopped for pizza before finding Rörbäcks Camping.
I highly recommend this place !
(phone: (+46) (0)924-350 47) [ GPS: N65 47.959 E22 35.845 ]

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #95
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Thanx to your report, Scandinavia has just made it on my "must do before I die" list

Based on your pics, there are a lot of similarities to traveling in Alaska and Canada.

Awesome, keep it coming...
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #96
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
Thanx to your report, Scandinavia has just made it on my "must do before I die" list

Based on your pics, there are a lot of similarities to traveling in Alaska and Canada.

Awesome, keep it coming...
Thank you.
When you compare Scandinavia to northern North America on a map it's easy to see why they look similar. Having said that Norway and Sweden look completely different. Norway is mountainous throughout where as Sweden in more flat with thick forest.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #97
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Day 13 - 7/8-09
23 km - Total milage: 4507 km
Rörbäck - E4 and back to Rörbäck

The day the earth stood still. The death of a comrade.

It was time to face facts. Over breakfast I was talking to Lars about the possibilty of renting a van - if they had a "return in Southern Sweden" policy.

My bike wouldn't start. It was turning over just fine, but not igniting. I had initially given up, but gave it one last try. Lo and behold - it started, the sound wasn't pretty, but it was running. I jumped on and spun off toward the highway E4.

When I got to the highway overpass I stopped and waited for Lars.
And waited.
And waited some more.
Finally I had to shut the engine off to avoid it getting too hot. Lars never showed up so I decided to ride back towards the camping (about 10 km from the highway). The bike fired up right away.

When I got back to the camping I found Lars dressed down, it was obvious he wasn't near ready to ride anywhere. He'd been talking to the owner (of the camping site) about either getting hold of a van or a bike garage to fix my bike. He'd tried calling me, but there was no cellphone coverage out on the peninsula. Apparently when my bike fired up water had spewed out the exhaust... not a good sign at the best of times. It was decided then and, I wasn't riding anywhere.

This was a friday. The time was about 10am and I was looking for a sollution to my woes.
The nearest garage was in Umeå, some 300 kms away. I spoke to a guy who said he would look at the bike on monday and if need be have parts shipped in on tuesday. So that was a 4 day wait and I still needed to move the bike 300 kms. We tried finding someone with a van and I got an offer to drive me and the bike to Oslo for NOK 10.000 which I kindly declined (Around US$ 1600).

I finally manned up (or down, depending on your views) and called my dad. It was a long shot and he was at work ofcourse. I explained the situation and asked if he'd help. And just like that he said he would. He's so awsome. Genuine hero.

He left Oslo at noon with Lars' family trailer hitched up.
Lars would ride back to Oslo on his own and I waved him off after he had borrowed some elctrical tape from me and done the old goggle-shade trick. He would be riding into the sun for a couple of days.

Left to my own devices I changed out of riding clothes into shorts and a tee shirt. It was another great day and I relaxed on the porch with the owner. We talked for a few hours before I decided to take a walk around the peninsula. It turned out to be a fantastic place. I took some pictures before fetching my Thermarest and finding a spot on the beach to soak up the sun.

I asked the owner about all the planks on the peninsula and I was told there used to be a sawmill out here and all the leftover wood they had was used to build an artificial island/ peer of sorts so that the big boats would be able to get close enough to load the wood. The sea here is almost pure freshwater so alot of the wood has been preserved

This day reminded me alot of thr trip around Australia a few years back; without a worry in the world just enjoying life in the sun

I hadn't eaten anything but a couple of ice creams since breakfast and Lars had what little food we had left with him. The camping only had a small kiosk and didn't offer hot meals. Luckily I had one bag of dried food left in one of the panniers and the owner suggested I stay in one of the rooms they rented out since it was vacant that night anyway. He even refused to accept the money I offered. What a guy.

A great little room right above the marina

My company while dining

I discovered that by standing on the very edge (literally toes dangling) of one of the floating piers I actually had cell phone covereage, barely, and stayed in touch with my dad. He had to stop and sleep on the way and would arrive in the morning.

The day was drawing to an end and there was a full moon

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #98
lefteris
fat daddy

Oddometer: 282
Great report!

Sorry for your bike though..

Lefteris
lefteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #99
MarkE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
I've left out the one where I pointed the camera down the front of my pants.....

Thank you!!
Actually thank you for the whole RR, but especially thank you for being merciful!

I often think I would like to visit Norway; now I know it for certain.
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #100
lofoten
Emperor and Grand Wazoo

Oddometer: 75
what an absolute delight.
experiencing Norway from my armchair.

Thank you so much for posting.

Norway is on my itinerary.
I have been fascinated by The Lofoten Islands since being given a book about them when I was 11 years old. 42 years ago. That's where my handle comes from.

Once again. Thank you.

Best wishes.
their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

—T. E. Lawrence from "Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
lofoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #101
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,223
Thankyou for such a fantastic RR.

One of the above pictures shows a skijump. Several years ago, wife and I did the Denmark - Sweden - Finland - Norway - Northcape - Norway(westcoast) - Lofoten - Denmark-trip. Absolute the most fantastic ride ever. I´ve always thought that a trip to the southeren europe, but it has completely changed. The northeren cultures is more in my blood than the southeren and it fits me.

Soon I´ll be readying up my bike with a light travel setup(Hennessy Hammock, giantloop, huge tank capacity). I´ll be doing some research at SOE homepage and find the most dirtoriented route to northcape.

Again sad for your bike but you got a great helpful dad(respect).

Regards
Mikael
Denmark
Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #102
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE

Thank you!!
Actually thank you for the whole RR, but especially thank you for being merciful!

I often think I would like to visit Norway; now I know it for certain.
Oh, I'm not done yet

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #103
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locul@hotmail.com
Thankyou for such a fantastic RR.

One of the above pictures shows a skijump. Several years ago, wife and I did the Denmark - Sweden - Finland - Norway - Northcape - Norway(westcoast) - Lofoten - Denmark-trip. Absolute the most fantastic ride ever. I´ve always thought that a trip to the southeren europe, but it has completely changed. The northeren cultures is more in my blood than the southeren and it fits me.

Soon I´ll be readying up my bike with a light travel setup(Hennessy Hammock, giantloop, huge tank capacity). I´ll be doing some research at SOE homepage and find the most dirtoriented route to northcape.

Again sad for your bike but you got a great helpful dad(respect).

Regards
Mikael
Denmark
Good luck with that ! THe guys on SOE will surely be able to help you find a great route north

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #104
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofoten
what an absolute delight.
experiencing Norway from my armchair.

Thank you so much for posting.

Norway is on my itinerary.
I have been fascinated by The Lofoten Islands since being given a book about them when I was 11 years old. 42 years ago. That's where my handle comes from.

Once again. Thank you.

Best wishes.
Whoa ! And you haven't been there in person yet ? What are you waiting for !

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 01-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #105
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

So this will sadly be the last episode in this epic saga (yeah I know I'm full of it). Thank you all for tagging along and all the kind words.

Day 14 - 8/8-09 (Come to think of it I actually took delivery of my bike on 8/8-02)
1350 km - Total milage: 5857km (4507 km of which on the bike)
Rörbäck - Oslo

My dad, the HERO, arrived at 10.30am on saturday and he was pretty beat having just covered 1350 km in one go and he was ecstatic about turning around and doing it again....

He had a shower while I got the bike on the trailer and my luggage in the back of the car. After a cup of coffee we were off at noon. We got home on sunday at 10am.

Again: Thank you dad !

These are the last two pics I took on this trip.

Lars made it home ok, and actually met my dad about halfway between Rörbäck and Oslo, near Östersund.

These are Lars' pictures from the ride home

Drying hay the old fashioned way

Our complete route. Roughly.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !