User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
RobStar OP
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
F800GS Leaking / Seeping Valve Cover Gasket

I know there's another thread in Ride Reports discussing ChiTown's leaking valve cover gasket but that went from a great ride report to mechanic pissing match.

Anyway, a few days ago a friend noticed some slight oil seepage coming from the upper left hand side of the engine on my F800GS. It's just started in the last few days and my bike has about 9900 miles on it. I'm calling it a seep rather than a leak at this point since it is very very slight and not dripping down under the bike or coating too much of the engine and the dipstick is still showing full.

I've been changing oil and filter every 3000 miles and at 6000 switched over the Amsoil synthetic so at this point I'm into my second round of Amsoil.

Just thought I'd post this up for future reference and to see if anyone else has run into this. I'll take it to the dealer when they open on Tuesday morning and report back with the results.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure

RobStar screwed with this post 12-27-2009 at 03:19 PM Reason: To correct the title
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Head gasket is lower on the bike. Mine leaks from the very top seal, what I would call a valve cover on an auto engine. Has been slowly getting worse and now making a total mess (even getting to the ground) so it will have to be dealt with... I find it strange since it appears to be a nice moulded synthetic gasket.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Something is happening in the upper left area on mine. Lots of crud is collecting there. If I get around to washing the bike I'll check it out and post results. Not enought leakage to get to the bottom of the engine or the ground. Got a three day ride planned before washing and servicing. Current mileage ~7000.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
transalp russ
Gadget Addict

Oddometer: 25
It seems many F800GSs are leaking from here, it's the rocker box gasket, certainly the dealers in the UK are aware of this, mine was fixed for free in few hours.

I'm glad mine developed a leak here, I was feeling left out with everyone else having problems with their F800GS and mine had been trouble free!

It's on the internet so it's got to be true!
transalp russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,704
Mine is weeping from the top left as well.
It's a Harley in training.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
never.ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Hey guys. I had the same thing on my bike. I noticed it at the start of my Baja trip in November. Did the trip, kept an eye on it and it never got worse. I would wipe it clean and it would leak from the left side and then half way down the head by the end of each day.

Got back to Colorado, took the bike in for the 6000 mile service and told them what was up. They were VERY quick to say, oh yeah, that's a warranty issue.

So, they replaced the valve cover gasket and I am good to go. No issues at all now. They said the leaking that I was seeing (and that you guys are seeing) is not too much of an issue if you do not get the bike in right away. My 1500 miles in Baja is a testament to that.

It seems to me it is a know issue, at least at my dealer. Brad and the guys at Northern Colorado Euro were great and got me dialed in with ease. I actually called them when I was in Baja and asked about the leaking and they put my mind to ease about the issue.

So, I would stop by your dealer and see what they say
never.ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
They (almost) all do that!

(Mine does ... not a problem so far and valve cover has to come off for 20,000 Km service)
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
RobStar OP
Still On Training Wheels

Sorry, my mistake on the head gasket... I'm a camera operator not a very good wrench operator!

I tried to correct the Thread Title in advanced editing option but it didn't work. Maybe someone can help me track down a Moderator to change it from head to valve cover?

Mods... anyone?

Thanks!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
Old 12-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Fixed it for you. A friend's 800ST was seeping there and was replaced at the 20,000km service.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
RobStar OP
Still On Training Wheels

Thanks for the title fix!

If it's "common" with this engine type / model any ideas what causes it? Is it a poor seal quality and/or tightening from the factory? Is it known to continue on after the repair?

IMO, I want it repaired ASAP rather than wait until the 20k service, plus I don't want oil build up all over my engine.

Thanks!

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
Old 12-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 264
I had mine leak a little. It is a 2009 with 11K miles. Mine was from overfilling the oil when I changed it. I had about 1/2 over and when I drained the excess out it stopped leaking.

I will keep an eye on it.
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Cool, thanks Joel.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Yup. Got that T-shirt too. It was a quick warranty fix. Stated culprit: hardening valve gasket sealer used by the factory. It has not been an issue since that fix over 30,000 miles past.

Dieselboy screwed with this post 12-27-2009 at 07:17 PM
Dieselboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
kkug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Ok mine was leaking also. When I took the cover off to check the valve clearence I put on Permentex Right Stuff sealant.

I know I should have went to the dealer and donated a bunch of money to them for a new gasket and seals.

But I beat to a different drum. So so far no leaks.

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Im really having trouble with this oil leak, i temporarily fixed it at 7000, bike shop looked at it at 10,000, it started at 19,000 fixed shortly after and now at 28000 its leaking again.
Just a stab in the dark but i think there is actually something wrong with, either the cover or the machining of the head itelf.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote