Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Just use Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Sealant:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...et_Sealant.htm

It will fill large clearance gaps that Hylomar will not yet it will stay flexible and maintain its seal for just as long. Husky also has some head cover issues and this is the only sealant I have found that works every time on valve covers or engine cases that have leaky gaps.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
Im really having trouble with this oil leak, i temporarily fixed it at 7000, bike shop looked at it at 10,000, it started at 19,000 fixed shortly after and now at 28000 its leaking again.
Just a stab in the dark but i think there is actually something wrong with, either the cover or the machining of the head itelf.
Cover could be tweaked a little, I ride a Harley... On the HD if its not flat, it'll leak again after you change the gasket. Has the fix till now just been a new gasket?

The dealership or bike shop should be able to check to see if its flat/flush, on the HD you could warp it if you didn't fasten it down in the correct sequence to the correct torque specifications.

$5 off your SmugMug Photo Hosting Account
Discount Code -gZGyUIZz6nv0w
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #18
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Im pretty sure they just removed the silicone sealant i used the first time and fixed it the same way then changed the gasket at 20,000. both times they checked the cover and there were no problems.
At the moment it seaped and stopped so im leaving it, watching it and hoping it dosn't leak for a while.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #19
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,999
As I recall, in ChiTown's case the cover was warped or incorrectly machined, and was replaced. Hopefully for most of us, a bit of hi-temp RTV will fix things up....

Seems odd to me that the manual calls for the sealant to only be used on the left-hand half of the gasket ... why NOT put it all the way around....???

Joel: Thanks for the notes on how to get to it ....
I'm coming up on the 12K mark and will probably be in there to check the valves, and hope that I don't need to swap out any "oil sinks"

Just as note, Rev. #4 of the manual calls for this sealant, don't know if it is hardening or non-hardening :

Bond 1209

Surface sealant

07 58 9 062 376

JRWooden screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 08:54 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #20
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
I believe BMW's theory is glue down the left side which is the usual leaky side and leave the right side dry to slide.....

I have a pet theory on ChiTowns warped cover.... He has some videos out there of riding through water that is above the top of the engine and a little higher then the air scoops. Aluminum is fine with thermal upshocks, actually it is impossible to warp or crack aluminum by heating it rapidly, but downshocks are another story.....
Joel:

Thanks!

I like both of your theories!

I remember all kinds of gyrations when they first started putting Aluminum heads on cast iron blocks as a result of the differential rates of thermal expansion .... the "dry slide" on the gasket seems "logical" ...

And the deep water crossings have always scared me due to the sudden "quench" ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #21
RobStar OP
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
The dealer did a warranty repair on mine today; said they had seen about four others or so with the same problem.

They used the factory gasket but they also added a bit of sealer around the curvy bits where the seepage comes from.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #22
doubleoh7
AKA Chief FallsAlot

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStar
The dealer did a warranty repair on mine today; said they had seen about four others or so with the same problem.

They used the factory gasket but they also added a bit of sealer around the curvy bits where the seepage comes from.

RobStar
Sweeeeet warranty repair = precedence
doubleoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #23
amycyclenut
faster dammit

Oddometer: 108
I'm not a mechanic and don't claim to be, but I'm bring a CB450 back to life and when I removed the cylinder head covers to adjust the valves, the old paper-like gaskets were toast. My favorite mechanic (who is also happens to be a BMW tech), sent me to the local Honda shop for Honda Bond. Might be an option in this case?
1974 CB450
1970 CB350
amycyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #24
cyclynnut
Cyclynnut

Oddometer: 24
My F650 is doing it too

My F650 GS '09 started this at about 11,000 miles. Going to have it checked when I get the gas tank cracking fixed. Still love the bike but it is a pain to keep taking it to the dealership-and being bikeless.
cyclynnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
My 09 F658 is now seeping oil from the left side valve cover gasket. ~ 8500 miles. I'm taking it in next week for new tank and now gasket repair. Anyone know if they will put on a new gasket + sealant or just use sealant on the old gasket?
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #26
AbeFroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I've had the same weeping valve cover at around 18,000 miles. Minor and probably would've been harder to notice if I washed the bike more often. Took it in thinking it would be a gasket. They told me the cover was warped and ordered in a new one. That took a week and when it arrived it was warped as well. Seems to be fine now, was fixed under warranty. They did say this was rather common as if the faulty replacement wasn't a clue.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 807
Bluhduh Me to

Mine's doing it, too. Found a mess the last time I washed it. Luckily the engine's black so I can pretty much ignore till it's time to take the bike in for something else. Not worth the 120 mile round-trip to the dealer for now. 8600 miles or so at discovery time; no clue when it started.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #28
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Ditto here, dealer "fixed" the leak (left side) with a dose of sealant. Was done @ 6000 mile service. Now every time I shut the bike off after a ride I smell oil but haven't seen any, I'm going to have to take a closer look to find the source of the smell.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #29
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
This freaks me out

How can I inspect whether my valve cover is leaking without pulling plastics off? It's so high up in there, in the engine cavity, so to speak. Where exactly are you guys seeing oil dripping down? Pics?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #30
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
This freaks me out

How can I inspect whether my valve cover is leaking without pulling plastics off? It's so high up in there, in the engine cavity, so to speak. Where exactly are you guys seeing oil dripping down? Pics?
If you look over in ChiTowns problem thread and his photo's of his leak (just to the left of the smiley face!) on the left side of the bike you will see the castings around the two cam shafts, they usually leak around the join there (middle of the camshafts) ... it really easy to see once you know what you are looking for.

Unless it is a bad leak, ie drips on the garage floor, its probably not too bad. Mine was just a little weep that did no harm, so I let it go until the cover had to come off to check the valves.

Seems good now, but I will keep my eye on it.

Really in most cases its nothing to get too alarmed over (BMW probably think of it as character!)
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote