Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #31
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Well ... guess I was wrong about the cam cover gasket leak being fixed!

It has a small weep again. After reading this thread and Chi Towns I suspect that I might need a new cam cover. If it doesn't get any worse I will leave it until the next service.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #32
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Just an observation: all the leaks seem to come from the left front valve cover. Could it be that residual oil is collecting in that area since when the bike is on it's side stand the left forward part of the engine is the lowest point?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #33
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Leak

Whether there is a little pool of oil or not it shouldn't matter. The gasket should seal it. Look at the valve cover gaskets on a boxer twin. The valve cover is horizontal so there is always oil sitting in the bottom against the gasket and they don't leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BykMyk
Just an observation: all the leaks seem to come from the left front valve cover. Could it be that residual oil is collecting in that area since when the bike is on it's side stand the left forward part of the engine is the lowest point?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #34
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
One more to add to the list. My 2010 650 was leaking oil from the left valve cover. Dealer discovered it on the 6k service and replaced gasket under warranty.
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #35
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,131
Interesting that the shop manual says to use gasket sealer ONLY on the left side of the valve cover gasket?

I'm sure they've got their reasons... of course it leaks anyway...
Mine just started at about 9K miles.............
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #36
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I think the reason for the left half is because of the cam align bore cutouts on the left side create decreased gasket sealing pressure due to the gasket thickness. Mine was leaking so I took it apart and found no sealant applied to the area specified in the repair manual. Applied Permatex high temp RTV after thorough cleaning and de-greasing with new gaskets. Let it sit overnight before starting and it has been absolutely dry for 4000 miles since. For some reason the sealant wasn't applied at the factory or by a service when the valves were checked. I applied RTV only in the area specified and applied a light coat to both the gasket and the cylinder head. No RTV was used between the gasket and cam cover. Pretty much followed the factory procedure to the letter.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 AM   #37
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
I think the reason for the left half is because of the cam align bore cutouts on the left side create decreased gasket sealing pressure due to the gasket thickness.
Thanks - that makes sense!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #38
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 605
Hummm, wondered why lately I've been smelling burnt oil smells... checked mine just a moment ago - yep, crud building up on the left side. 27,000 miles. Starting to see problems with this bike.

TheCowboy
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #39
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
This freaks me out

How can I inspect whether my valve cover is leaking without pulling plastics off? It's so high up in there, in the engine cavity, so to speak. Where exactly are you guys seeing oil dripping down? Pics?
Even a light seepage will show up. Oil tends to spread out and look more dramatic than it is.

In the Army they classify leaks in to three categories
Class 1 -
seepage of fluid, but not enough to form drops
Class 2 - enough to form drops, but not enough to form drips
Class 3 - fluid leaking enough to form drips

BTW, I have a Class 1 on the top left of my engine.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #40
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 622
When I had my cover off I noticed the film of stuff they used from the factory was pretty hard. I cleaned mine and put on RTV and no leaks. Then again, I was just opening up the cover to check the valves so I didn't have a leak to begin with. Still don't! Maybe not enough Kms on it yet!

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #41
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 605
Pissed Air Box

OK guys, in order to get to the head gasket you had to remove the airbox. Now, when you did - there were three rubber tubes at the very back of the airbox you HAD to remove in order to get the whole airbox out of the way. The MIDDLE tube goes to some gizzmo which looks like it is part of the emissions system (not really sure) - BUT as I pulled it off of the plastic fitting on the airbox, the fitting on the airbox broke right off (damn plastic shit anyway)!

My question - what is that thing-a-mu-gig that the middle tube from the airbox goes to??

I pulled the airbox off to change spark plugs - now my bike acts like its only running on one cylinder... it sucks.

TheCowboy
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #42
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
Spark plug

You did put 2 back in? just kidding I am sure someone will chime in with real help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy2
OK guys, in order to get to the head gasket you had to remove the airbox. Now, when you did - there were three rubber tubes at the very back of the airbox you HAD to remove in order to get the whole airbox out of the way. The MIDDLE tube goes to some gizzmo which looks like it is part of the emissions system (not really sure) - BUT as I pulled it off of the plastic fitting on the airbox, the fitting on the airbox broke right off (damn plastic shit anyway)!

My question - what is that thing-a-mu-gig that the middle tube from the airbox goes to??

I pulled the airbox off to change spark plugs - now my bike acts like its only running on one cylinder... it sucks.

TheCowboy
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #43
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy2

TheCowboy
usually that middle one breaks off when a tech removes the box and sets it on the floor, and then I trip over it lol.

It goes to the canister purge valve which is USA only breather shit.

Setting aside the legal and moral issues, both of which I mostly lack.....

Plug the broken of center nipple on the air box with a dab of rtv and the bike will run just fine again.

On the plus side, you will never have to worry about water sucked into the engine through the canister stall. Solid fuel stall when you over fill the tank. Or tank implody stall when the canister vent plugs.

Or you can glue it back on with abs weld.

Good luck, have fun

p.s. This paticular oops can make the bike idle poorly but doesent usually cause a flat out miss, you may wish to check the spark plug insulator, electrode gap, and coil while your in there.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.

JoelWisman screwed with this post 03-26-2010 at 06:29 PM
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #44
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Welcome back Joel, we missed ya.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #45
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike
Welcome back Joel, we missed ya.
I'm not really here, I'm just a figment of your immagination :)

I'm going to stay out of motorcycle psycho therapy threads and ignore people that wish to vent or lobby for 600 posts, but if there's someone that wants an opinnion or has a technical question that I know the answer to, I'm happy to help.

Besides, the weather is great and bikes are flying off the floor. I'm busy again at last, life is good and so is my mood.

Thanks for the welcome guzzymike
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote