User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #46
Big Duke 6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Valve cover leaking

I have an 09 f800gs-around 2500 miles- and have not noticed a leak yet. By the descriptions it sounds like a problem that I had with a Honda CB750 back in the early '80s. Honda was just starting to block off/severely restrict emissions "blow back" by plugging the crankcase vent tube. This caused excessive crankcase pressure to build up and push oil out the valve cover gasket and run down onto my foot. With the water stalling and the charcoal canister problems, the way I understand it, It could be similar. The cure on the Honda was to remove the plug!
Big Duke 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #47
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Good to see ya Joel. i've enjoyed reading your posts and glad your back.... Your a great asset IMO and appreciate your insight on issues.
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #48
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHillbilly
Good to see ya Joel. i've enjoyed reading your posts and glad your back.... Your a great asset IMO and appreciate your insight on issues.
+1 Joel. What BMWHillbilly said.

There's no way to keep these forums from becoming dick-swinging contests from time to time. But you have given us high value info for free. And you should know that many of us here appreciate it.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #49
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
+1 Joel. What BMWHillbilly said.

There's no way to keep these forums from becoming dick-swinging contests from time to time. But you have given us high value info for free. And you should know that many of us here appreciate it.

David
+1 I too have reached my wits end on this forum and had to spend some time away a while back so I didn't go insane from all the dick-swinging. I understand completely. I am extremely gad to see you around again. IMO, you've always brought good info to the table and tell it like it is. I appreciate it too Joel.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #50
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Joel:

Yeah... what they said, good to hear from you again!

Whenever II get back to St. Louie I'm buying you dinner ....
Mandy and Ryan's too ... if they would see fit to be seen with the likes of me (and you) in public

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 AM   #51
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Joel:

Yeah... what they said, good to hear from you again!

Whenever II get back to St. Louie I'm buying you dinner ....
Mandy and Ryan's too ... if they would see fit to be seen with the likes of me (and you) in public

Jim
Sounds great. Ryan's not afraid to be seen with me. Mandy... Maybe lol
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #52
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
Sounds great. Ryan's not afraid to be seen with me. Mandy... Maybe lol
We might be able to talk Mandy into it ... she was seen in public with ME ... so you gotta be up-hill from there
Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #53
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Ok antoher leak, usually i let it go until it starts spewing out and the oil level would actually drop but i've had the 5th gasket in 33,000k's done 1000k's ago its been looked at at least 7 times no one can fix it and im over it.

Has anyone had theirs fixed or doe it themselves succesfully without it starting again 6K miles later?

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #54
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Going in tomorrow to Sandia BMW, NM.....Mine began leaking at 2800 miles.... Along with the leak came a pretty awe full valve tick first five seconds from start....Sort of like how a hydraulic lifted engine sounds....with out oil in the lifters.....Then after about five seconds it goes away.... Anyone else noticed this????

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #55
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Along with the leak came a pretty awe full valve tick first five seconds from start....Sort of like how a hydraulic lifted engine sounds....with out oil in the lifters.....Then after about five seconds it goes away.... Anyone else noticed this????
They all do that.

No, seriously Erling, mine has been clattering away at startup since day one, and I've just passed 21,000 miles. Joel has posted an extremely thorough expiation of what's going on here.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #56
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Valve cover leak...

I've got the leak also ... started at about 8K miles.

The manual says sealant is needed along the left side (only) of the gasket.
I would hope that before a new gasket (properly sealed of course) is installed that the valve cover would be checked for any warpage... there have been cases of that being noted...
Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #57
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,348
Mine has it too, no big deal just a seep. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said, "Yeah, looks like BMW forgot to put gasket sealant on a few bikes when they built 'em." I said, "A few??"

I'll have them try to fix mine when it goes in for its 12,000 service.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #58
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
Ok antoher leak, usually i let it go until it starts spewing out and the oil level would actually drop but i've had the 5th gasket in 33,000k's done 1000k's ago its been looked at at least 7 times no one can fix it and im over it.

Has anyone had theirs fixed or doe it themselves succesfully without it starting again 6K miles later?
5 gaskets! That's insane! I hate saying this, but take your bike to another dealer and explain the situation.

It's not rocket science, the cover needs to be flat, shoulder bolts the correct leingth, rubber top hats correct thickness, no positive pressure from the crankcase, gasket, head and cover mating surfaces spottlessly cleaned of oil, rtv liberally applied to left side only.

If just the original gasket leaks, ok, throw another on. If that leaks in short order, it's time to check all of the above. It only takes 20 minutes to check all of the above and corporate isn't stingy about paying for what's really wrong.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 05-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #59
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Yeah its going to their other dealeship to have a diffrent mechanic to have a better look at it, its not a BM dealer but he's certified.
I'm starting to think the bolts could be part of the problem as they say everything is straight, maybe some new bolts with some crush tubes 0.5-1.5mm shorter than the bolts might help get it that little bit tighter on the head.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #60
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
Yeah its going to their other dealeship to have a diffrent mechanic to have a better look at it, its not a BM dealer but he's certified.
I'm starting to think the bolts could be part of the problem as they say everything is straight, maybe some new bolts with some crush tubes 0.5-1.5mm shorter than the bolts might help get it that little bit tighter on the head.
the shoulder bolts, top hat washer, and rubber gromette are cheap, I can order one of each up and measure if it will help.

Also I submit measurement of crankcase pressure is in order.

This is done by finding a nipple that will screw in where the dipstick goes, or ordering another dipstick, drilling it and attaching a small nipple, then run a hose from there to the front so you can watch a pressure gauge as you ride.

A simple turbo boost gauge will work fine.

0-1 psi is great, 2-3 is marginal, 4 or more psi shows either the breather system is blocked or there's massive blow by.

Let me know if you need help. Something is not right and I'm sorry your having to deal with it.