Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 AM   #61
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
thanks mate, i apreciate the help. i'll rip the oil guage out of my car or find something else and give it a whirl.
And most importantly someone finally beleives me.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #62
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
They all do that.

No, seriously Erling, mine has been clattering away at startup since day one, and I've just passed 21,000 miles. Joel has posted an extremely thorough expiation of what's going on here.

David
.....ha-ha.....I`m just gigle`ing at the "they all do that" part.... I`ve seen that a lot lately here....hi-hi....Thanks for posting the linky.....That joel is something else.....( Thanks Joel as well).....Hopefully the dealer will fix it today.....less the rattle.,....of course...

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #63
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
Soooooooo.....Made the trip to Sandia BMW, NM...... They changes the valve cover gasket......and had new rear bearings installed. The new ones had red seal cover.....instead of black ones.....We shall see what happens....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #64
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman

I have a pet theory on ChiTowns warped cover.... He has some videos out there of riding through water that is above the top of the engine and a little higher then the air scoops. Aluminum is fine with thermal upshocks, actually it is impossible to warp or crack aluminum by heating it rapidly, but downshocks are another story.....

Good theory except that the first leak starting in Utah two months before the water crossing video in Arkansas.

Gina's BMW said my valve cover was defective.
I'm used to BMW representative's thinking (hoping) my bike's issues are my fault, so it's cool Joel... I know you're one of the good guys.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #65
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
As I am getting ready to have this issue address by my dealership I am wondering how to phrase the issue so that instead of wasting my time just replacing the gasket, only to possibly have it fail again and again (more time wasted) if the issue is more fundamental like a warped part or some such. Should I just mention that I have been following this issue with other owners via owners groups and that there are various reasons why the leak is happening and that I'd like them to check each one to be sure they fix it the first time? Or will that be too condescending?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #66
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Not how you want to word it, but Gina's BMW proved mine was faulty by placing the cover on a piece of granite to show it was out of square or warped.

YRMV

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #67
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
i'll rip the oil guage out of my car or find something else and give it a whirl.
woops, vacumn guage not oil pressure guage.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #68
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Howdy,

Count me in for two complete gasket changes.

My first was at < 3000klms and the only water my bike had seen up to then was riding in the rain (which I seem to do a lot of).

Fast forward to 15000klms and two days after a tire change the familiar oil smell is back again and the gasket is again changed 500klms later.

The only times I had ridden my bike in any water, excepting rain, between those two times was around 9000klms when I rode it through quite a few rivers where the water was over the engine for short periods (with no issue riding the bike during and after the crossings) and then at about 12000klms when I rode over some neat causeways too many times.... the photos were good -so a minimum of 3000klms had gone past before I needed the gasket changed again.

So I can't say that water/river crossings have an impact on the gasket (not saying they wont ever but my limited experience so far does not fit this idea).

Tony
Sydney Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #69
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
I'm late to this party but if you can time the replacement with a valve adjust BMW should eat most of the cost to tear the bike down since they have to be there anyway. You only pay for the hour to check/adjust the valves.
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #70
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

I thought it was water for a while, my bikes usually see more water than an olimpic swimmer. None have ever had this problem and the BMW dosnt show any signs of warpage unless the head is machines wrong somewhere.
Mine's spending most of next week with a yamaha dealerhip, not sure what i'll do if they cant find anything. i'll feel like an ass selling it off the the next poor basterd so thats not an option.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #71
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider
As I am getting ready to have this issue address by my dealership I am wondering how to phrase the issue so that instead of wasting my time just replacing the gasket, only to possibly have it fail again and again (more time wasted) if the issue is more fundamental like a warped part or some such. Should I just mention that I have been following this issue with other owners via owners groups and that there are various reasons why the leak is happening and that I'd like them to check each one to be sure they fix it the first time? Or will that be too condescending?
I would say it depends on if this is the first time your valve cover gasket has leaked.

ADV threads may seem like a slice of life, but they are not.

If every member of this forum who owns an F800GS that has NOT had a valve cover gasket leak, or has had a leak but it was repaired and never reoccured, posted here about it here and went on to discouss their NON leak, this thread would be 30 pages long.

I would say that quality control of the cover, gasket, or assymbly sucks on these engines.

That is bassed on seeing about 1 in 20 leak inside the warranty period. If any leaked more then once that came through my dealership I can't recall it.

The point is, just because you have an oil leak does not mean your going to have a nightmare solving it.

If your dealer doesent get it right the first time, then I think it is appropriat to question if they know what they are doing or give suggestions.

Often suggestions can be helpful, but if your dealers service department doesent know what they are doing, and plenty don't, they are unlikely to respond well to advice from an Internet forum.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #72
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Good advice,
Like anything your going to get further if you be polite but stuborn enough to not come across as a push over. Every time i've been in there its been an open discussion and i was asked to hang around and have looksee and brainstorm while it was apart.
They are good people there and i don't doubt their ability they are just missing something i guess.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #73
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
I just called my dealer told them the gasket was weeping/leaking. They said bring it in and fixed it no questions asked. I wish I could tell you the same story about the kickstand bushings. That they called abuse/wear/tear.
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #74
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Mine did the very same thing (2008 f650gs twin) at the very same place between 15000km-18000km I believe. I waited for the 20000km service since it was the time they were going to check the valf clearences. Mech. said they applied some rtv to the corners for it was less then it should be. But at no time it started seeping again. Then there was an overheating (leater learned that it was the fan stuck because of mud. I used it all winter long and it never opened, and , although I never rode on dirt, the mud accumulated in the fan, but this is another story), and they changed the valf cover gasget under warranty. Did 2000 more km. No leakage yet. But I will check again after reading so many reoccurrences. Then my battery died and replaced under warranty. They recalled the thing in the tank that measures the fuel level because of the wrong calculation of the fuel left in the tank. I was out of fuel more than twice because of it. Now they say there will be a recall about the rear sprocket and probably the chain and replace it under warranty. Now I will go and abuse the chain and the sprocket before the change
Old 05-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #75
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Now they say there will be a recall about the rear sprocket and probably the chain and replace it under warranty
Your dealer said this? Affecting the F650gs only?
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote