Old 06-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #167
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkmych
+1 here on the top rack. Thanks Dave.
Awesome! Great to hear thanks Mark!

...and one last pic from the trip. I couldn't resist!

We were lucky enough to spot two Bighorn Sheep went we were camped at Cottonwood Creek in the Grand Canyon. Amazing!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #168
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Mark's (www.adventuredecals.com) bike all ready to go for a trip down the West Coast and over to the Grand Canyon and then back to Vancouver.

MOD V2 Skid Plate, Tool Box, and Top Rack on board. Also a Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag is along for the trip.

Speaking of Giant Loop there is a great review on their blog of the MOD V2 Skid Plate on their project F800 GS here...

http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/20...s-project.html

Here is a pic too;

Check out the blog for more details.

Thanks!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #169
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
Motooverland bash plate f800gs

Received and installed my skid plate.

The purchase process was smooth as silk. The piece itself appears to be great quality.

Installation only took me about 5 minutes it fit perfectly. This is the most hassle free installation of any motorcycle accessory I have ever experienced.

Photos below. Looks like original equipment...

Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #170
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
Received and installed my skid plate.

The purchase process was smooth as silk. The piece itself appears to be great quality.

Installation only took me about 5 minutes it fit perfectly. This is the most hassle free installation of any motorcycle accessory I have ever experienced.

Photos below. Looks like original equipment...

Thanks Gumbeaux!!

Great to hear you like it and thanks for the review!

Enjoy riding your machine and we'll see you out there

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #171
toowheels OP
on a mission...

"Scratch" sale

Looks like we may have a couple of V2 Skid Plates in the Scratched (and not dented) "sale bin".

We had some material that was gouged from the supplier and then waterjet cut and THEN the gouges showed their face.

What they are supposed to look like...

I don't know how many there are yet but it's mostly pretty minor...and certainly much less than anyone that will beat up their bike will get.

So I'm throwing it out there to email me; dave@motooverland.com if you would like to get a V2 Skid Plate "a little rough looking" at a lower price TBD.

Cheers,

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #172
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD Top Rack/ Jesse Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
All: FWIW the MOD rear rack works well with the Jesse pannier mount racks. You use the front (i.e. passenger grab rail ) spacers and bolts as supplied. For the rear mounts use the long bolts from the kit. You need two 1/2"(H) x 3/4"(W) spacers to make up the difference between the Jesse rack and the plate.

I used a couple of brass spacers from the hardware store:

Here are the spacers installed:

Finally, here's the rack along with the bags: BTW, I have the plate mounted in the "forward" slot. I have no problem with removing the Touratech seat.

And a side view:
I've had a lot of requests on how well the MOD F800/F650 GS Top Rack works with the Jesse Side Racks so I'm bumping this post back to the end.

Thanks!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #173
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD CNC'd V2 skid plate bracket

A while ago we made a running change to a new CNC machined aluminium front bracket. We never had any problems with the original ones but we wanted to make something a little stronger to take some of the stress of an impact out of the rubber-break away engine mounts underneath, so you'd be able to finish a ride. We've never showed it before so...

Here's a pic with one of the CNC machined counter bored engine mounts that gets welded inside the bottom of the V2 Skid Plate:

Of course the bracket comes with full stainless steel hardware too.

These pieces of the big picture really demonstrate how solid the skid plate assembly is!

Thanks!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 08-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #174
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
Looks like we may have a couple of V2 Skid Plates in the Scratched (and not dented) "sale bin".

We had some material that was gouged from the supplier and then waterjet cut and THEN the gouges showed their face.

What they are supposed to look like...

I don't know how many there are yet but it's mostly pretty minor...and certainly much less than anyone that will beat up their bike will get.

So I'm throwing it out there to email me; dave@motooverland.com if you would like to get a V2 Skid Plate "a little rough looking" at a lower price TBD.

Cheers,

Dave
Update on the scratched V2 Skid Plates. There weren't many to begin with and they are all gone as of a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks for the interest in them...hopefully we won't have any more.

We also now have stock in the V2 Skid Plates.
They have the most protection in coverage AND construction of any F8 skid plate on the market that fits a wide variety of engine bars like: Adv-Spec, BMW, Givi, Hepco + Becker, Holan {&Pro}, SW-Motech and Touratech!

The Top Rack is also in stock too. Yes the one with more features and options than any other.

Happy adventuring!!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 09-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #175
Keystone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Wow, got my MOD Rack and Bash plate installed. Everything fit together perfectly -- I'm using the rack for my Givi topcase and for Rotopax and I've test fit both. I think this rack holds my case tighter than any other toprack I've tried across four bikes and seven years.

If you must take a topcase through rough terrain then having a solid topcase mount is a must -- it's the stress of a topcase bobble-heading back and forth that ends up breaking stuff. Between the thickness of the metal and the welded reinforcing bracket I don't think this rack is going to break any time soon!

I do have a problem with the bash plate though -- it's much cleaner than my bike. Dave, can I exchange it for a dirtier one?

Anyway, pictures once I get it in action and scratch it up a bit.
'05 F650GS (Sold)
'04 K1200RS (Sold)
'03 F650GS (Crashed)
(formerly hyperiate)

http://www.shoottheapex.com
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 AM   #176
Keystone
Gnarly Adventurer

The hardest part about installation was removing the rubber mounts from the engine casing or the old plate (I had two stay with the bike and two stay with the plate). The detentes on the plate don't hold the mounts very well so I needed to hold the opposite plate with a vise-grip and hope that the rubber was stronger than the nut's hold on the threads. It ended up being ok and I chased the threads and used a dab of anti-seize, but I'm sure I reduced the longevity of the mount a bit.

I wonder whether a small mount like that is the sort of thing that can be sourced elsewhere rather than pay BMW $50 for their mounting kit.
'05 F650GS (Sold)
'04 K1200RS (Sold)
'03 F650GS (Crashed)
(formerly hyperiate)

Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #177
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone
Wow, got my MOD Rack and Bash plate installed. Everything fit together perfectly -- I'm using the rack for my Givi topcase and for Rotopax and I've test fit both. I think this rack holds my case tighter than any other toprack I've tried across four bikes and seven years.

If you must take a topcase through rough terrain then having a solid topcase mount is a must -- it's the stress of a topcase bobble-heading back and forth that ends up breaking stuff. Between the thickness of the metal and the welded reinforcing bracket I don't think this rack is going to break any time soon!

I do have a problem with the bash plate though -- it's much cleaner than my bike. Dave, can I exchange it for a dirtier one?

Anyway, pictures once I get it in action and scratch it up a bit.
Hey Tom!

Thanks for the great review!

It's on you to make your skid plate dirty (and scratched) we won't do it for you...and I'm sure you'll have no problem!

Did you have to remove the engine mounts from the case? Usually you wouldn't have to, except if you have ones stuck to the old plate. There's a bit of a plastic base to those mounts too as I'm sure you saw. Still not a lot to grip though.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 09-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #178
Keystone
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
Did you have to remove the engine mounts from the case? Usually you wouldn't have to, except if you have ones stuck to the old plate. There's a bit of a plastic base to those mounts too as I'm sure you saw. Still not a lot to grip though.
One mount came off with the plate and three were left in the engine. I didn't like how hard they were stuck though so I cranked them out and dabbed some anti-seize on the steel threads going into the aluminum oil pan, then put loctite on the nuts holding the bash plate to the mounts to ensure there would be no rotation.

Given how hard it is to get those mounts out using their full length I sure wouldn't want to try getting what's left of them out if they were sheared off.

Overkill? Maybe. But there are some parts I want to be able to move and there are some that I don't and I like to have a choice in which are which.
'05 F650GS (Sold)
'04 K1200RS (Sold)
'03 F650GS (Crashed)
(formerly hyperiate)

Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #179
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone
One mount came off with the plate and three were left in the engine. I didn't like how hard they were stuck though so I cranked them out and dabbed some anti-seize on the steel threads going into the aluminum oil pan, then put loctite on the nuts holding the bash plate to the mounts to ensure there would be no rotation.

Given how hard it is to get those mounts out using their full length I sure wouldn't want to try getting what's left of them out if they were sheared off.

Overkill? Maybe. But there are some parts I want to be able to move and there are some that I don't and I like to have a choice in which are which.
Yes good thinking!
Anti-seize them before they break cause you are right they can be a pain to remove if they break. With our CNC'd bracket (shown above) that should be a little less likely to happen too.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #180
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Top Rack update

The next run of F800 GS Top Racks are just going to powder coating tomorrow. They should be ready to ship late next week.

I think I have emailed everyone on the waiting list but if you haven't heard from me please send me an email.

Thanks for your support too!

Dave
dave@motooverland.com

www.motooverland.com