Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #181
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
The next run of F800 GS Top Racks are just going to powder coating tomorrow. They should be ready to ship late next week.

I think I have emailed everyone on the waiting list but if you haven't heard from me please send me an email.

Thanks for your support too!

Dave
dave@motooverland.com
Top Racks are now back in stock! Those that were on the list, yours have shipped.

Thanks and see you out there!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #182
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD F800 GS skid plate details

I just wrote an elaborate post on anther thread and I thought I would post it here too:

"Im002e thanks for considering the MOD skid plate.

We felt it was important to have coverage for the engine, headers, oil filter, oil cooler, oil lines and the cat...in short everything under the bike.

The cat can be damaged...probably not a "trip ender".

The V2 version then carried that over to include a wide variety (8 brands and counting so far) of engine bars allowing the customer to choose what they like the best. There is also a special order version in the works designed specifically to work with the Wunderlich Adventure engine bars.

We have a lot of "beefy-ness" and some design elements to give our skid plate incredible strength. We haven't really got across the amount of design to every part of the skid plate so I'm going to get a little carried away here...
(the website will also be updated with all this info shortly as it's something we haven't flaunted...)

Every skid plate is completely TIG welded inside and out.

..which is no big deal if you don't have good welds...

so here's a cross section of one of our welds. I think it speaks for itself.

The mounts underneath have a lot of thought in them...

They are CNC'd and have a ledge all the way around to give 360* support to the material around them. It was the best way we felt to fully countersink the hardware, support the hole cut in the bottom of the plate and give more surface area to the weld up top to make sure it hols up in the long run. This is a very expensive, but thorough way to do it. There are some pics out there of some mangled plates right at these areas on other brands' skid plates.

Inside detail of the mounts.

The CNC'd front bracket is the most compact of any that I have seen. This gives you a strong bracket to take some of the stress off of BMW's break away mounts underneath. There are also no sharp edges within the skid plate to gouge the oil pan if you break it off and it gets pushed in to the oil pan (there are actually pics of that on someones' thread too).

Lastly there are no welds across the width of the plate in the "line of fire" and the front angle is designed to make it as "easy as possible" for the bike to get over taller obstacles if need be.

Here is the finished product demonstrating the smoothness of the underside and the beauty of the V2 skid plate.

We need one of those German mags to do one of their crazy lab tests to see what's what.

Like I have said before we designed this skid plate to have the most complete protection and coverage! Definitely designed to go that extra 5%
if needed and last a long, long time. I'll put it head to head with anything.

Any comments/questions feel free to post as I'm always keen to hear feedback!"

The next run of skid plates is just at powder coating now and should be available early this week.

Thanks for reading!

Dave
Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #183
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Another post from the thread above that I thought would be valuable here:

"Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Hi Dave!!! I like your plate, I've been looking for a replacement to my BMW one since it is well smashed up but still holding on.

Does that front mount have a threaded hole? If I recall the bolt going through my BMW plate goes into a riv nut or a welded nut so I don't need to hold it with tools. Edit: I'm talking about the cross bolt, not the ones through the bottom.

Quick feedback... your price is really high!!! How about giving us poor inmates a good discount

Hi EnderTheX,

Thanks for the q and the comment on the plate!

Our bracket works a little differently:
It is not tapped on the side so you actually have to use the nut and bolt that comes with the bike's original skid plate (or you might have to get another nut if you no longer have it).

With our skid plate you mount the bracket first (not completely tightened) then you mount the skid plate and tighten everything. Then remove the skid plate and tighten the bracket securely.
Re-bolt on the skid plate and you're set.

So there is one more step in installing it, but once it's done you don't have to touch the bracket again.

Why did we do it like this?

In removing the BMW/Touratech skid plate (on many bikes, many times!) while fitting the skid plate with different engine bars I fought (many times) with getting that bolt and the bracket to line up.

With our skid plate you just remove the two front bolts and it's really easy, fast and accessible. No deep socket or special tools either. I can remove and re-install a skid plate in less than 4 minutes.

Another point to note is that when you have a tool box installed the weight makes it even harder (on BMW's or ours) to get that bolt lined up.

Our "price is really high!!!"

REALLY HIGH? Ouch!

Here are some prices I dug up:

BMW/Touratech Enduro $269.99 USD -3mm thick
Twalcom Motorally $299.99 US
Twalcom Rally Raid $219.99 -no cat, oil filter/ cooler protection
Adv-Spec $211.00 US (no VAT) -no cat protection
Alt-Rider $286.99 US -no cat protection
Wunderlich Extreme $299.00 US -no oil filter/cooler protection
Wild@Heart $349.99 US
Jesse $190.00 + $75.00 US to protect the cat
SW-Motech $209.99 -no cat protection, 3mm thick
Utah Sport Cycle $129.99 US (they win but all the hardware is very vulnerable, particularly at the bottom and the side coverage in very minimal)

Did I miss any?

MOD V2 Skid Plate $259.99 CAD ...at this point the dollar is par

I don't think one of those has the CNC'd mounts underneath, they are all bent steel or alumimium...that's much cheaper to do.
Alt-Rider, Wunderlich and Wild@Heart are probably the only ones that can justifiably claim high $$ cause of their construction.
Some of the others: riveting and bolting?!

Does any other skid plate have MOD's combination of protection, coverage and high quality construction?

At this point the price won't be coming down (I'm also a poor inmate!)...in fact it may even have to go up. I think we stack up very well though.

What do you think?"

See you out there!

Dave
Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #184
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,466
top rack and jesses

i saw one poster state that he had to acquire spacers to install the top rack correctly. just to confirm i'd have to find my own spacers to correct install this rack with the jesses mounting system?

thanks.
loph917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #185
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917
i saw one poster state that he had to acquire spacers to install the top rack correctly. just to confirm i'd have to find my own spacers to correct install this rack with the jesses mounting system?

thanks.
Hi loph917 and thanks for the question.

The post you are probably referring to is on the previous page and it's obviously a setup that works:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=172

Maybe you could also do a little check for me too. Could you run a straight edge from the top mounting position of the stock handles to the top mounting position on the Jesse rack?

Is there any gap showing an angle?

In talking with more of our customers that have Jesse's racks we have found a few different ways of setting it up.
One customer is using beveled rubber washers from the plumbing department of his hardware store and 60mm full thread bolts. The bolts the come with the MOD Top Rack are (M8) 60mm and 70mm long. They are only partial thread and therefore couldn't be used in that application. I can source 60mm full thread bolts fairly easily if you would like.

Alternatively I can also supply you with some extra short spacers you could cut down on your own.

Let me know on the above "straight edge" request though and I may even be able to do something better.

Please also let me know if you have any other questions.

Dave
Old 11-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #186
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD rear rack with Rotopax 3gal.

One of our customers sent us a pic with the (relatively) new BIG 3 gal. Rotopax mounted on our MOD top rack with the Jeese side rack.

Here's a couple of pics...

He used it on a cross Canada ride. Works, no problem!

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #187
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Top Rack answers

We have gotten a few emails wondering with some specific questions on the Top racks:

The seat can be removed easily when the Top rack is in the forward position:

Also show in this pic are the Givi mounts installed on the top rack.

Very solid connection for Givi Top boxes as some have reported here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=175
"I think this rack holds my case tighter than any other toprack I've tried across four bikes and seven years."

It took some work to get this right. Positioning is also critical and it works no problem two-up with a Givi box mounted and then the whole set up can be slid forward for solo riding.

KISS top box mounting also opens the doors to lot's of options.

Width, design and slots are optimized for Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebags giving you multiple options for position.

Lot's of slots gives options for all sizes of bags to be securely strapped on, also mates perfectly with some rack bags.

More pics and details (maybe even a video) to show you how this Top rack does everything...

We are thinking of giving the Top Rack a name...maybe The One. Fore and Aft adjustable position, easy release design for quick and easy mount swapping, Rotopax (top and side), Givi or KISS Top Box and well placed slots for lots of options.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 12-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #188
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Happy Holidays everyone!!

Curious to see if any one out there is running a Trax top box and if I can get the dimensions of the four mounting points and the latch mount?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #189
ScottG
Razor Sharp

Oddometer: 264
Givi lug kit???

Where's the best place to get the GIVI lug kit for your rack? I just place an order the other day for the rack but need a resource for the Givi lug kit?

Thanks
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #190
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Where's the best place to get the GIVI lug kit for your rack? I just place an order the other day for the rack but need a resource for the Givi lug kit?

Thanks
Hi Scott,

Yes thanks we got your order.

Any local dealer should be able to get you the Givi MonoKey mounting kit.

Another alternative is Happy Trail or Alt-Rider both stock them.

We may have a kit available later this week too...if you can wait.

I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #191
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
how does the top rack fit with the holan balanced rear rack?

http://f800depot.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=779

also any special deals if I were to order two bashplate, two tool boxes, and two top racks? pm me if you'd rather!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #192
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
how does the top rack fit with the holan balanced rear rack?

http://f800depot.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=779

also any special deals if I were to order two bashplate, two tool boxes, and two top racks? pm me if you'd rather!
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the question.

We haven't heard of any fit issues with the Holan Balanced rear rack. Most manufacturers replicate the height of the stock handles for their racks and this one seems to be like that too.

The only exceptions we've found so far is Metal Mule and they have a flattened top section instead of the counter-bore. Happy Trail may also be a bit different...I'm going to investigate that. Jesse also requires shorter spacers instead of the long ones, in the back though.

As for the Tool Box the previous is sold out and the new version is still in development...

I'll PM you.

Your bike's looking good by the way

When are you planning to dis-embark?

Dave
Old 01-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #193
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD V2 Skid Plate & Metal Mule Engine Bars

We finally got confirmation that the MOD V2 doers fit with Metal Mule engine bars from blackfly911:

"Hi all,

For anyone who has Metal Mule crash bars and is on the hunt for a skid plate I have to recommend the V2 plate from Moto Overland.

I contacted Dave with my inquiry on the V2 just after the new year and after a few emails and pictures, he surmised it would fit but if it didn’t, he would gladly accept a return.

The plate arrived yesterday and despite the freezing temperature, I couldn't resist but to mount it. It fit like a glove with plenty of clearance around the bars themselves and protection right back to include the cat. The plate is a true piece of quality workmanship and I am extremely happy with both its fit and finish and above all the service Dave provided.

I'm sure it will be put to good use this spring/summer when I head north to James Bay and points beyond.

So if you're in the market, check them out!

Cheers Dave!

Thanks blackfly !!

That brings the total up to 9 different brands of engine bars: Adv-Spec (G-it), Alt-Rider, BMW, Givi, Hepco & Becker, Holan (and Holan Pro), Metal Mule, SW-Motech and Touratech...and then there's the special order only version for Wunderlich's Adventure engine bars:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614040

Thanks for all your support and see you out there!

Dave
Old 02-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #194
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post

thanks.
We are now making specific spacer kits to fit our Top Rack with Jesse and Happy Trail side racks.

Our stock spacers fit just about everything including:
stock set-up

BMW's Varios

and these side racks:
BMW,

SW-Motech Quick-Lock Evo

Metal Mules (without the front spacers...shown here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=141 )

Touratech and Holan too.

The only two that needed something different were the Jeese and Happy Trail...so now we offer those

Here is the stock spacers (two on the left) and the Jesse spacer (Happy Trail ones not shown). All CNC'd alu of course...no steel chunks here

Then you can team up the Top Rack with these options:
Rotopax direct mount (no adapters needed)
Givi/Kappa Monokey direct mount (no adapters needed)
KISS DIY Top Box system

All the details are on the site www.motooverland.com

Thanks for checkin' it out.

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 03:10 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #195
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Came home on Thursday night and found this sitting at my door:

Install was very easy.

Side with oil drain:

Nice clearance with the Holan Pros:

Cat protection:

Nice product guys. Thanks for the help Dave!
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote