Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #226
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 942
MOD BMW F800 GS V2 Skid Plate with Wild @ Heart engine bars

Here are a few more pics of the Wild@Heart engine bars with the V2 Skid Plate:

The fit is great. Lot's of clearance...

Great coverage from the side plates too. They integrate with the W@H bars very well.

and the other side.

Thanks for checkin it out!

Dave
Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #227
toowheels OP
on a mission...

We just recently found out that BMW made a running change to the stock F800 GS plastic skid plate. They have removed the front mounting point on the skid plate where there was a long bolt and nut running though it. It seems the change was made at some point on the late 2011 models.

It's gone! So that means you don't get the bolt & nut anymore to mount any other skid plate (like ours) with a front bracket.

The front bracket is very important to giving the skid plate stability in minor impacts so you don't shear the break-away mounts too easily. We designed our bracket specifically to be short and strong enough to shrug of minor impacts but give way in the event of a major one to save your oil pan. We also sell them separately too of course.

So the missing bolt is:
M8 x 110mm long (socket head cap screw) and a M8 nut of course. They use flange nuts underneath so if want them all to match that's what you need. You can sub in any M8 nut though too. You probably won't find a Torx head bolt either so it will be a hex head.

We will be stocking the appropriate hardware in the near future to accommodate those who will need it!

F650 GS riders will still need the whole mounting kit from BMW but they have to make sure they are getting the front bolt and nut in the deal.

Please ask!

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #228
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,203
Got my skid plate after patiently waiting since September when I ordered it through the local dealer. First impression is that its a well made sturdy item

I have the benefit of having a nice new oil pan fresh out of the box to replace the one that my BMW aluminum skid plate failed to protect well enough. I decided to see how the MOD skid plate would fit up on the pan and discovered a couple of issues. First, there are the three threaded lugs on the biottom of the pan that are for the BMW lifting system to bolt onto. One of them is in close proximity to the front right skidplate mount. I noticed that the machined mounting cup on the skidplate was hitting on this lug. The second issue is the front bracket which had 3mm of spce from the skid plate when the plate was seated on the rubber mounts and the long bolt tightened into the mount. Tightening the screws to close this gap seriously compressed the front rubber bushing and made the interference with the lug worse.

I easily remedied the lug clearance issue by simply filing a notch into the cup. There was lots of material there so should not affect the strength at all. The gap to the front bracket seemed easiest to solve with a spacer. I also wanted to be able to remove the through bolt while leaving the bracket attached to the plate rather than removing the small bolts fron the bracket to drop the plate for oil changes. The problem with this is there was no access hole to pass the bolt and the socket through to do this and secondly, there is no easy way to hold the nut with the skid plate in place. It was easy enough to drill the hole for the bolt to pass through. making the nut captive was a bit of a head scratcher for a bit. Then the solution came to me to make the spacer act as the retainer for the nut too. I found the perfect item to become both, an unused 13mm stamped steel wrench for some long forgoten power tool arbor nut. A simple bend in the right spot and a couple holes and It was perfect.

The last item on the mod the MOD list was to add a bit more coverage for the oil cooler. Since I have done the high fender mod to my F800GS, I catch a lot more mud crud and other projectiles up there and want to keep the oil cooler protected. To do this I made a guard that bolts to the front lip of the plate and covers the space between the plate and the engine enough to keep the worst of the debris away. I gave everything a shot of paint to cover up the bare spots again, but I expect before long the rocks and gravel will have their way with even the original powder coating making it all blend in with the bikes patina.

In all, despite the couple of issues, this plate looks like it should be a far superior the the not so great BMW one. I hope this information helps you to improve your product. I look forward to better weather (spring) when I can get out and test it out on some rocks.

The lug that was causing the interference.

Notch filed in for clearance.

Gap between bracket and plate.

Now it clears.

Wrench/spacer/nut holder.

Bracket and spacer in place.

Access hole for through bolt.

Oil cooler guard.

From the side.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #229
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Got my skid plate after patiently waiting since September when I ordered it through the local dealer. First impression is that its a well made sturdy item

I have the benefit of having a nice new oil pan fresh out of the box to replace the one that my BMW aluminum skid plate failed to protect well enough. I decided to see how the MOD skid plate would fit up on the pan and discovered a couple of issues. First, there are the three threaded lugs on the biottom of the pan that are for the BMW lifting system to bolt onto. One of them is in close proximity to the front right skidplate mount. I noticed that the machined mounting cup on the skidplate was hitting on this lug. The second issue is the front bracket which had 3mm of spce from the skid plate when the plate was seated on the rubber mounts and the long bolt tightened into the mount. Tightening the screws to close this gap seriously compressed the front rubber bushing and made the interference with the lug worse.

I easily remedied the lug clearance issue by simply filing a notch into the cup. There was lots of material there so should not affect the strength at all. The gap to the front bracket seemed easiest to solve with a spacer. I also wanted to be able to remove the through bolt while leaving the bracket attached to the plate rather than removing the small bolts fron the bracket to drop the plate for oil changes. The problem with this is there was no access hole to pass the bolt and the socket through to do this and secondly, there is no easy way to hold the nut with the skid plate in place. It was easy enough to drill the hole for the bolt to pass through. making the nut captive was a bit of a head scratcher for a bit. Then the solution came to me to make the spacer act as the retainer for the nut too. I found the perfect item to become both, an unused 13mm stamped steel wrench for some long forgoten power tool arbor nut. A simple bend in the right spot and a couple holes and It was perfect.

The last item on the mod the MOD list was to add a bit more coverage for the oil cooler. Since I have done the high fender mod to my F800GS, I catch a lot more mud crud and other projectiles up there and want to keep the oil cooler protected. To do this I made a guard that bolts to the front lip of the plate and covers the space between the plate and the engine enough to keep the worst of the debris away. I gave everything a shot of paint to cover up the bare spots again, but I expect before long the rocks and gravel will have their way with even the original powder coating making it all blend in with the bikes patina.

In all, despite the couple of issues, this plate looks like it should be a far superior the the not so great BMW one. I hope this information helps you to improve your product. I look forward to better weather (spring) when I can get out and test it out on some rocks.

The lug that was causing the interference.

Notch filed in for clearance.

Gap between bracket and plate.

Now it clears.

Wrench/spacer/nut holder.

Bracket and spacer in place.

Access hole for through bolt.

Oil cooler guard.

From the side.
Hi Ed,

Thanks for your post and the feedback!
First off sorry about the long delay in getting that run out...and thanks for hangin in there and buying our skid plate!

Interesting that you have that oil pan to use as a test rig!

Here are some answers:

1. The four mounting lugs will not be an issue when it's mounted on the bike. (I know it is on your oil pan here in this example). If you were to push it on, it will shift and fit into position perfectly. No cutting is needed. Every skid plate is checked for all clearances and fit by me, on an actual bike. If you were to just drop it onto the oil pan on it's own though I can see how it may seem like it will hang up.

We have never had anyone say it doesn't fit perfectly but since it was mounted differently in this case it appeared like it. No worries though it's good feedback (everything always is!) and perhaps we should open up that tolerance a little. There is lot's of material there so no issues.

2. I'm not sure if you followed the instructions (I don't know if I would have ) but you're not supposed to tighten (only snug) the front bracket until after the position has been set. So first mount the bracket (only snug) then mount the plate and all the bolts and nuts and tighten. This will position the bracket (there is a little bit of tolerance designed in here). Then remove the skid plate and tighten the bracket fully (being careful to not let it move). This will set the bracket and it will be closer than you had it.
It will still tension the front mounts lightly which gives them a little better support. It also makes them a little less likely to slip and spin when loosening the lower nuts. So then the whole front of the skid plate mounting is under a little bit of tension. It all works together against impacts (a little trade secret in there). This is how they have been designed and run from day one and it works very well. It's maybe not the most intuitive mounting procedure, but once the bracket is set you don't have to touch it again.

Which brings me to #3.
Why don't we put a hole in the side to access the bolt?
In removing and replacing the BMW/Touratech skid plate many, many times I found it a real pain to get that bolt lined up sometimes!
Then if you have our Tool Box (new one in the works...honest) on the front it adds some weight to make that even tougher.
So the front two bolts are sooo easy to work with and a standard tool too. I can remove and replace our skid plate in under 2 minutes easy. Of course I have done it a bunch of times.
We could easily tap (getting rid of one part needed pertaining to the above hardware post) the one side of the bracket and put a hole in the side it and then it would be back to the struggle (especially due to the tension).

(Why the bracket design is like this is also mentioned way back in this thread. Not that you or anyone would have seen it...it just states why it is like it is.)

I do like your ingenious use of a tool lying around though!

So those are the reasons...thoughts?

I do like your extended oil cooler protector too. It has crossed my mind! How many can you make?

Thanks again for the input!

Dave
Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #230
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Thanks for the reponse. Just to add a bit. I did fit the plate to the bike on the old epoxy patched pan too with the same results. Having the new pan uninstalled on the bike really let me get a good clear view of the fit. I did snug down the rubber mounts too, and that is where I was seeing the interference. I do still have a bit of preloading happening with the front bracket, the spacer is only 2.5 mm thick so there is 0.5 mm of gap left to compress. As for the removal of the pan leaving the bracket in place, that's great when all is new, but after those screws get trashed by rocks and gravel they will be tough to get a wrench into to remove. I can say that with certainty, at least in my case, since the similar screws on my previous BMW plate were seriously beaten up after three years of pounding from rocks and gravel. Yes it is a bit fussy to get the plate up on the rubber mounts and the through bolt in, but I've done it enough times with the BMW plate that I know I can manage the wrestling match. I even managed it out in the backwoods with the plate all bent out of shape after patching the crack in the sump.

Oh, and feel free to blatantly exploit my oil cooler protection design. I would have trouble making any kind of volume of them since I do all my work the old fashoined way with hand tools. But if you're willing to spot me a nice CNC mill, I could probably churn them out quicker

Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #231
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Thanks for the reponse. Just to add a bit. I did fit the plate to the bike on the old epoxy patched pan too with the same results. Having the new pan uninstalled on the bike really let me get a good clear view of the fit. I did snug down the rubber mounts too, and that is where I was seeing the interference. I do still have a bit of preloading happening with the front bracket, the spacer is only 2.5 mm thick so there is 0.5 mm of gap left to compress. As for the removal of the pan leaving the bracket in place, that's great when all is new, but after those screws get trashed by rocks and gravel they will be tough to get a wrench into to remove. I can say that with certainty, at least in my case, since the similar screws on my previous BMW plate were seriously beaten up after three years of pounding from rocks and gravel. Yes it is a bit fussy to get the plate up on the rubber mounts and the through bolt in, but I've done it enough times with the BMW plate that I know I can manage the wrestling match. I even managed it out in the backwoods with the plate all bent out of shape after patching the crack in the sump.

Oh, and feel free to blatantly exploit my oil cooler protection design. I would have trouble making any kind of volume of them since I do all my work the old fashoined way with hand tools. But if you're willing to spot me a nice CNC mill, I could probably churn them out quicker
Hmm I don't get it. I fit every skid plate on a bike. Maybe a little wiggle and it's on. It's definitely very close but it shouldn't be an issue. Yours has been on a bike too. They're all checked. There is no way you should have to do anything to it.
Does it looked damaged? The bottom profile is completely flat except for the bend at the tail for the cat:

Never had anyone say it's anything other than a perfect fit. We'll have double check the tolerances too.

I hear what you're saying on the bolts but it just hasn't been a problem. We've got over 70,000 kms on them here. One is on a F650 GS too which is quite a bit lower so it gets even more abuse. My current bike get's no grease or Loctite on the bracket bolts (I try to be a bad mechanic to simulate every use) and it's just never been an issue. Maybe a couple of picks to get some dirt out and that's it. My skid plate gets taken on and off a lot too!
We have though of gong to a hex head instead of a button head but I don't like the profile they have sticking out in case of rock strikes etc. The mounting on ours does sit a little higher than the BMW one so it is less vulnerable.

I swore off the hole through idea myself after struggling with it as I mentioned...

In any case it's all food for though and it does bring a couple of ideas to mind...

Good that you still have some preloading there. If you were to reset the bracket it will change that a bit.

The extra oil cooler protection hasn't been an issue yet (as I said it did cross my mind too when we were designing in the Tool Box mounting) but with some riders like yourself going to the high-fender now it may be more in demand.
The tool box also helps to give more coverage although I haven't looked at it from high fender perspective yet.

Sorry, no extra CNC mills...we gave them all away last week.

Thanks again and I look forward to you putting it through it's paces...in a while I guess.

Dave
Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #232
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

[QUOTE=toowheels;17476395The extra oil cooler protection hasn't been an issue yet (as I said it did cross my mind too when we were designing in the Tool Box mounting) but with some riders like yourself going to the high-fender now it may be more in demand.
The tool box also helps to give more coverage although I haven't looked at it from high fender perspective yet.

Sorry, no extra CNC mills...we gave them all away last week.

Thanks again and I look forward to you putting it through it's paces...in a while I guess.

Dave[/QUOTE]

The high fender does open up the front end to a lot more abuse from crap off the front wheel, but its better than getting the front wheel jammed up with mud (again). Certainly not the typical situation either as most owners won't be doing the conversion.

Too bad about those mills being all gone, seems to be the way it goes for me.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #233
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Moto Overland parts stock update

We have just shipped another couple of BMW Top Racks and F800 GS Side Stand Feet to our dealer in Colorado!

Northern Colorado Euro Motorcycles in Loveland, CO

http://www.coloradoeuro.com/

email: parts at coloradoeuro dot com

I believe they are all for sold bikes but if you ask I'm sure you can see the parts if you've been curious to see them in real life. They should be there Friday.

Thanks guys for stocking MOD parts!!

BMW F800/F650 GS V2 Skid Plates and Top Racks, KTM 990\950 & 950SE Top Racks, and BMW F800 GS and F650 GS twin (they are different) Side Stand Feet are all in stock.

Working feverishly on new stuff for the Vancouver Moto Show Jan. 19-22

Fire away if you have any questions.

Dave
Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #234
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Skid Plate bolt

We have just gotten in some Skid Plate bracket mounting bolts.

The story is that BMW made a running change at some point during 2011 with the F800 GS. The stock plastic skid plate used to have a front mounting point that then had a bolt, washer and flange nut (same as the ones used underneath) to attach it to the front of the oil pan. They made a change to the skid plate removing this mount and therefore the associated hardware disappeared too.

So it used to be when you ordered our (or any) skid plate you didn't need anything.

Now you do.

FYI, this is what you need:

M8 x 110mm bolt and washer(s) and a M8 nut, or we are supplying a flange nut which is the same as the others as mentioned above.

You will have to request it if you need it.

Retail is TBD but since we like to keep all our parts plug and play, you won't have to source it yourself.
It will be about the same as what you can get them for "on the street". No gouging!

For the F650 GS you still need to buy the whole skid plate mounting kit since it comes with nothing. Make sure it has the front bolt/washer and nut!

Feel free to email with questions: dave(at)motooverland(dot)com

Thanks,

Dave
Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #235
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD Top Rack Pelican adapter

Courtesy of a customers request we have just confirmed that yet another Pelican top box option will fit our top rack.

SW-Motech's Steel Toprack Adapter hardware for the Pelican will bolt right on to our Top Racks!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5743

It uses the same mounting points as the SW-Motech Trax Top Box.

Pics to follow...

Thanks,

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 11:51 AM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #236
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Laugh Good Stuff

Dave - I installed the top plate with spacers for the Jesse bags. Very good looking, sturdy piece of kit and went right on after a little head scratching .

I got six spacers, two rather long ones (1 1/2" +), two with chamfered bottoms and two "plain" ones. The front ones ("plain") were easy to figure. It took a few minutes to realize that the long ones were not used at all. So, the chamfered ones went to the back mounts. The longs ones went to the parts bin.

Thanks for the good service and product, Dave.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #237
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy View Post
Dave - I installed the top plate with spacers for the Jesse bags. Very good looking, sturdy piece of kit and went right on after a little head scratching .

I got six spacers, two rather long ones (1 1/2" +), two with chamfered bottoms and two "plain" ones. The front ones ("plain") were easy to figure. It took a few minutes to realize that the long ones were not used at all. So, the chamfered ones went to the back mounts. The longs ones went to the parts bin.

Thanks for the good service and product, Dave.
Thanks malloy!

Yes you bought the Jesse ones too so you could confuse yourself!!

However, if you ever do take off the Jesse's then you'll have the right spacers.

Thanks again!

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #238
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD Top Rack SW-Motech Pelican adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Courtesy of a customers request we have just confirmed that yet another Pelican top box option will fit our top rack.

SW-Motech's Steel Toprack Adapter hardware for the Pelican will bolt right on to our Top Racks!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5743

It uses the same mounting points as the SW-Motech Trax Top Box.

Pics to follow...

Thanks,

Dave
We have pics of SW-Motech's Steel Top Rack Adapter for Pelicans installed on our Top Rack:

The big picture. It's all plug and play. Mounts right into existing holes and all you need to add is larger fender washers for the rear centre mount.

With the Pelican mounted. Looks like they sit their set-up a little further back. It's a quick release system from the back too.

Close up of the rear mounting bracket installed.

Notice all the CNC'd edge finishing goodness on the Top Rack

Front mounts.

The entire perimeter, every cut-out and slot, top and bottom is fully chamfered so it won't cut up your straps.

Here's a tip as well: to prevent the large steel plate that bolts on from making marks in the top rack put some electrical tape on the bottom of it. When you take it off you'll barley be able to tell it was even there.

Any q's fire away!

Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #239
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD Skid Plate Tool Box

The MOD Skid Plate Tool Box is finally back in action!!

Tool Box thread here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750749

The short story: We made a small run of them 3 years ago and then they kind of fell by the wayside and we always promised/threatened they'd be back.

The one on my bike is over 3 years old now and been working great! It's been crashed on, ridin in ALL conditions and has never had any problems. It's high enough to be out of the way and the perfect spot to put your tool kit.

Some pics:

Two versions available: Slot Lock and Key Lock with cover

The door is well sealed and we have refined it further on the new ones. Not 100% waterproof but very very good...even here in the Pacific North Wet.

Mounted up to the V2 Skid Plate. No hardware sticking out to do any damage to the headers if you have a major impact with the skid plate.

A rider sent us this pic of his new F800 GS Triple Black decked out with MOD stuff (thanks Sonny!)

Looks pretty cool all blacked out!!

We have some out there that have been mounted in other places like inside the rear side rack:

and some that are going to be mounted to other brands of skid plates so I'll post when I have more info on that.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

Dave
Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #240
toowheels OP
on a mission...

MOD BMW Top Rack/ Caribou QFS install pt1.

Westy99 posted his Caribou QFS set up. He did a little extra DIY as this is the older version of the Top Rack before we added the rear QFS mounting points:

MOD+Pelican+Caribou = WIN
This has been a work in progress for some time now. It all started back in March of last year when I bought my bike and went searching for a top rack. Lots of folks were talking about the MOD so I got a hold of Dave and got one coming (along with a couple other goodies). At the time I purchased the rack I thought I would be buying the 34L top box from Caribou so I talked to Dave about mounting options and he told me about the universal mount kit from Caribou. Fast forward a bit, other parts and bits (that were a little more exciting than a top box) got in the way and it was late summer before I knew it. I ended up in the frigging hospital and my riding season was over.

While in the hospital, my buddy came home from Afghanistan and had some pelican goodies. The cases were small (used to tote around retinal scanners over in the sandbox and I thought it'd make the perfect little top box. The more I thought about top boxes, the more a smaller one appealed to me. I did some serious cleaning to get all the sand and fine grit out of the case, ordered up the mounting hardware and set in on the install.

For the front mounts, I could use pre-exisiting holes in the MOD rack. For the back two, I drilled a couple holes and mounted everything up. It was simple, the box is incredibly secure and the 1/4 turn fastners make removal very quick. The best part of this setup is I can pull the pelican case off and still use my top rack to haul other stuff, still use my Wolfman Rollie if I want a little more capacity or just to have another option.

Once the install was complete, I decided to give the case a little love. It was gnarly looking after its service over seas, faded, beat to hell and so on. I've been wanting to try my hand at camoing something (got a few gun stocks I'd like to try) so I figured this pelican case would be a good place to start. I picked up some Krylon paint (with fusion technology for plastic), washed the case down good, rubbed it all down with some denatured alcohol and set in on painting. I left all the character the case earned so it's still cut, scratched, knicked and really just beat but it's solid and still water tight.

What I learned was camo paint is a pain in the ass to do but if you mess up you can just go back over it with another color. I added the GS decals last night just in case the two big orange ones on the tank weren't enough. My uncle just got into doing vinyl decals so I hit him up and had him make a couple things for me.

Thanks Dave for answering all my questions and making a fantasticly versitale product...sorry it took so long to get it all together!

MOD rack w/ Caribou Universal Mount kit installed

To cover up the mounting hardware, I took the foam from the top and moved it to the bottom. Covers everything nicely without taking up too much room in the case.

Entire thread here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784976
Thanks Westy99!

Dave