Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious
If it's not too late to make a suggestion: pre-drill 4 holes to accomodate a Givi mount kit.
Great idea. With both my Gran Canyon and Multistrada I found a Givi 46L topcase would handle all my on-road touring, local commuting and errand-running duties, and be slim besides, where lane-splitting is legal or garages are narrow. The preferred setup in Europe, as far as I could tell.

Not applicable for off-road use, but with the slotted mounting previously suggested (another great idea!), it'd be a snap to change out.

I'd like to see the cut-out of the "M" disappear. The teeth look sharp. I could see that cutting into the bottom of a bag, or gas or water bladder, carried there.

Rob in Seattle
Old 01-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #32
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,655
Givi SVP

That is an awesome idea. I would love to able to quickly convert to a Givi set up. You could just leave the lugs in place when using the rack for a duffle.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #33
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
For those of us that also use Givi top boxes for on-road touring, commuting, errand running etc., this would be super convenient addition to a top rack. Screw on 4 bolts in 1 minute and you can mount your Givi top case. Going for an off-road adventure? Pull off the mounts and strap your soft luggage on this new top rack.

SW Motech Givi Plate:

I've been toying with the idea of using this SW-Motech adapter with my G-IT rack. Only problem I can see is that the latter is not as thick as the former, so it might be a problem to tap the rack for the cam-locks for the quick-release fasteners. Maybe your idea of just using the lugs and the catch is better. I didn't know you could get those separately.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #34
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon
Maybe your idea of just using the lugs and the catch is better. I didn't know you could get those separately.
You'd need the four rubber bumpers as well. They snug up the top case as it locks down and in, and prevent rattling.

Rob in Seattle
Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #35
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
You'd need the four rubber bumpers as well. They snug up the top case as it locks down and in, and prevent rattling.

Rob in Seattle
Right you are (I've had Givi top boxes in the past, but always on a 'real' Givi mount). I'd forgotten about those bumpers, thanks!
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #36
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,655
Givi'ng

My last Givi rattled on the factory mount so I just bought thicker bumpers at home Depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon
Right you are (I've had Givi top boxes in the past, but always on a 'real' Givi mount). I'd forgotten about those bumpers, thanks!
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #37
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
If it's not too late to make a suggestion: pre-drill 4 holes to accomodate a Givi mount kit. These mounts can be used on Happy Trails and SW-Motech racks for optional Givi side cases. The bottom lugs are the same ones used by Caribou cases as well.

For those of us that also use Givi top boxes for on-road touring, commuting, errand running etc., this would be super convenient addition to a top rack. Screw on 4 bolts in 1 minute and you can mount your Givi top case. Going for an off-road adventure? Pull off the mounts and strap your soft luggage on this new top rack.

I'm currently using an SW-Motech top-rack that has a quick-release Givi compatible mounting plate , which works OK for the Givi, but their top rack isn't that swell for larger soft luggage.

All my previous dual-sports (KLR650, DRZ400, KTM640) have done some sort of commuting duty and on each one I've rigged up some kind of Givi top-mount. The SW Motech has the right idea, but their top rack isn't as nice as your's promises to be.

Just a thought...

Givi Lug Kit:

SW Motech Givi Plate:

WOW! You guys are good! Do you have spy's up here?

I wasn't quite ready to let that cat out of the bag yet...

Below is the Givi mounts on the prototype MOD F800 GS top rack.

It's not quite perfect though. It sits just a little too far forward encroaching on the passenger's space. You don't need the rubber on the front of the top rack as it is already a tight fit with the width of the rack. You may need two at the rear though...
It's difficult trying to make all the different elements work together.
It is perfect solo and you can still slide the rack forward. I am not done yet though...

All those rectangular slots are there for a reason too...

Below is the big pic with a Givi E36 mounted on the top rack and the keen eye will notice the first prototype of the MOD F800 GS skid plate designed to work with more engine bars.

The second prototype of the plate will be done shortly.

So far it fits SW Motech, BMW, Givi and Touratech bars for sure.

I am still looking for someone with Holan's to confirm the fit with those. It looks like it will fit.

All of the Motooverland goods will be on display at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show, Jan 21-24th booth #908. There's a link on the site;
www.motooverland.com

I look forward to seeing some of you there.

Anyone from Seattle coming up...it's sooo close.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Dave
Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #38
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels

All those rectangular slots are there for a reason too...
Cariboo/Pelican Compatibility?
That'd be slick.

From Pelican Website:

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #39
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
Cariboo/Pelican Compatibility?
That'd be slick.
Yip! Particularly in that case where you can put the mounts where ever you want in the box, as opposed to Givi's boxes which like I mentioned will run a little too far forward for two up riding in the current set up.

Below are the first quick pics of the second prototype MOD F800 GS skid plate. It's slimmer, a little taller in the front and fits with Touratech, BMW, Givi and SW Motech bars so far. I still have to and want to confirm on others.

What do you all think?

Anyone out there in the the Vancouver, BC area with some Holan's or other bars that I can try the plate with?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #40
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Just getting back to this thread..
Quote:
WOW! You guys are good! Do you have spy's up here?
No, no spies, but it just makes sense, doesn't it!? And I bet it'd be easy for someone to add a few hose-clamp-type-thingies and make this same rack work on just about any tubular rear rack. I would've loved this same setup on my old 640 Adventure. But don't get distracted too much by non-F800GSs until the first batch goes to production!
Quote:
Below is the Givi mounts on the prototype MOD F800 GS top rack.
This looks really promising. Now it'll be hard to sell my SW Motech rack when this becomes available. Excellent work!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #41
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:

What do you all think?
I think if you can confirm the Holans I won't bother ordering the BMW skid plate. Bikes not arriving till mid to late April, but I've got you bookmarked for my skid plate (and top rack). We put a deposit down for my Wife's F800GS last week too, while I don't pick out her stuff - she is kind of a copy cat as evident by the new bike...

I am no designer, but what about more slotted holes in the lower portion of the skid plate to help evacuate mud/debris/water?

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #42
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Just getting back to this thread..

No, no spies, but it just makes sense, doesn't it!? And I bet it'd be easy for someone to add a few hose-clamp-type-thingies and make this same rack work on just about any tubular rear rack. I would've loved this same setup on my old 640 Adventure. But don't get distracted too much by non-F800GSs until the first batch goes to production!

This looks really promising. Now it'll be hard to sell my SW Motech rack when this becomes available. Excellent work!
A couple of quick pics of second proto rack and the bike set up for the Vancouver Moto Show. Notice the "keyhole" mounting holes courtesy of MotoRiley's brain! They work really well.

And with the side Roto Pax mount;

The front of the F800 GS top rack has been altered a bit to give a little more space to the passenger from the first version shown. This pic shows the rack in the forward position as opposed to the top pic it's in the rear position for a passenger.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #43
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
I think if you can confirm the Holans I won't bother ordering the BMW skid plate. Bikes not arriving till mid to late April, but I've got you bookmarked for my skid plate (and top rack). We put a deposit down for my Wife's F800GS last week too, while I don't pick out her stuff - she is kind of a copy cat as evident by the new bike...

I am no designer, but what about more slotted holes in the lower portion of the skid plate to help evacuate mud/debris/water?
We may add some slots but they aren't really needed for cooling or evacuation of anything. Strength is of the utmost importance for MOD's equipment and the right side in particular is quite close to the exhaust pipes. This is required to fit all the different types of engine bars since they sit outside of the plate.

We still tried to make the side plates as large as possible to give the most coverage even when used with engine bars that don't come down as far or no engine bars at all. This second prototype F800 GS skid plate is also slimmer than our previous version mostly at the front and a little taller at the front too.

After the show I'll make the rounds to check for compatibility of as many engine bars as I can find...I'll let you know.

With the Tool Box mounted;

and the complete bike raring to go to the Vancouver Moto Show;

We will also have the Giant Loop products at our booth at the show so we can see how the Great Basin fits with the latest top rack prototype.

Thanks,

Dave
Hope to see you at the show!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #44
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Laugh

Quote:
Further to my post a year?! ago I am looking for owners of F800/F650 GS's with SW Motech or Holan engine bars to try a new proto of the skid plate with. Actually I am looking to try with any engine bars bar except Touratech, BMW and Givi and hopefully with a somewhat close proximity to Vancouver, BC.

Also here are a few pics of a top rack proto that has some unique features that I would like to get some feedback on. We are just running it through testing now.
It's got three different ways to carry fuel using Rotopaxs' proven fuel packs and mounts. It's all set to have the mounts bolted right to it.
It also has a 2" fore and aft adjustment option for riding solo or two-up.

There's more info on the site at www.motooverland.com in case you are interested to see more details.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave
Genius design. The ability to move fore and aft. Built in Rotopax compatibility. Large. Lots of tie down points. It doesn't get much better than this. I'm in. I want one ASAP. I was going to go with the Touratech one until I came across this. One thing... try to keep the price comparable to or cheaper than the Touratech one (85 USD). If so, I'm buyin' it!

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...5BE9jYh1146BD4
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #45
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,730
Made my own version using an HT rack.
I'd be interested in this rack when it is available. It looks to be very well thought out.
I really like the Rotopax 1 gallon. I don't even notice it.

johngil is offline   Reply With Quote