User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #76
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Do you have a picture of this from the rear? I'm looking at this setup for myself and I'm curious to see how tight-in everything is.
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #77
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 371
one vote for tthe side mount Rotopax

I'm surprised to see so many not in favor of the side mounting for the Rotopax. I saw that and thought "that's perfect, I'll drill holes in the rack I already made & do that myself!" It puts the weight down lower, balances the silencer, and leaves the rack free for the large tailbag I like to use.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #78
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind
I'm surprised to see so many not in favor of the side mounting for the Rotopax. I saw that and thought "that's perfect, I'll drill holes in the rack I already made & do that myself!" It puts the weight down lower, balances the silencer, and leaves the rack free for the large tailbag I like to use.
I just don't feel comfy w/ the side mount.

johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #79
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthGlick
Do you have a picture of this from the rear? I'm looking at this setup for myself and I'm curious to see how tight-in everything is.
As a matter of fact I do...

Let me know if these pics give you a good enough idea. It barely sticks out past your legs.

It's a great set up; the Giant Loop Great Basin, MOD F800 GS top rack and the Rotopax with the L bracket. It all feels pretty slim and compact and doesn't shift around.

cheers,

Dave
Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #80
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind
Hey JohnGil glad to see you are not afraid of a little rain and mud

Singletrack_mind if you are going to do the side mount to your rack you should think about strengthening it (depending of course on what you got now).

The side mount RotoPax full of gas and bouncing around off-road puts a fair bit of stress on the rack.

BTW lot's of riders at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show were liking the side mount idea but we'll see how many actually run it...

Dave
Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #81
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
That will do Dave - thanks!
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #82
vsnqust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
awesome..

I would really like to do this.. Since I have a Hepco Becker journey top case and caribou cases.. It would be nice to have the top case on and the fuel
attached.. in the past I have bungied on a gas can sitting on the back seat to the top case. Where do I order!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
Dave,

I am not interested in a side mount, I do like the below concept. If I could mount a top box and throw a bag on the seat, rotopax wedged between. I would mount it lower to the seat. I would be using a caribou top case.

I doubt I would ever ride two up unless it were some kind of emergency. My wife has her own bike and makes a lousy passenger.
vsnqust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #83
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnqust
I would really like to do this.. Since I have a Hepco Becker journey top case and caribou cases.. It would be nice to have the top case on and the fuel
attached.. in the past I have bungied on a gas can sitting on the back seat to the top case. Where do I order!!
The MOD F800 GS skid plate is now available!

It turned very well. Excellent coverage on the front, lower sides and whole bottom right back to the cat. Solid construction, TIG welded inside and out, 4mm thick aluminium, CNC'd countersunk welded mounting points, tool box mount and Canadian made...in Vancouver, B.C. It's got it all.
Confirmed fit with these engine bars so far...SW-Motech, Hepco & Becker, Adventure-Spec, Touratech, BMW, Givi...

We are still looking for some Holans to confirm with...someone around Vancouver??

Visit www.motooverland.com for details.

Here are some shots of the skid plate.

with Hepco & Becker bars...

with Adv-Spec...

The top rack is in production now too. It got another last minute change to give it yet another option. We call it the KISS mount. You'll know soon what it's all about. It'll be ready around March 19th.

Thanks to everybody for the input, feedback, ideas (esp. Motoriley) and those who offered up bars (Mark, Gary, Jeff, Carlos, Sean, Mark & Brian @ Pacific BMW) and all!

Also thanks to the mods for letting me run it and get feedback and look for riders with various engine bars etc...

Now that it's production it can go to vendors...

Dave
Old 03-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #84
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels

It turned very well. Excellent coverage on the front, lower sides and whole bottom right back to the cat. Solid construction, TIG welded inside and out, 4mm thick aluminium, CNC'd countersunk welded mounting points, tool box mount and Canadian made...in Vancouver, B.C. It's got it all.
Thanks Dave. I'm looking forward to receiving my order. It looks like it will be worth the wait.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #85
danielcc
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi Dave,

I just want to let people know that not only the products are really well done (I have the bash plate installed on my bike) but the MOD Costumer Service is amazing.

It was a pleasure dealing with MOD, very very reliable.

Im just missing the top rack, Ill buy it as soon as it is available and BTW, I like the Rotopax on the side, let see what this KISS option is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels

Confirmed fit with these engine bars so far...SW-Motech, Hepco & Becker, Adventure-Spec, Touratech, BMW, Givi...

We are still looking for some Holans to confirm with...someone around Vancouver??

Visit www.motooverland.com for details.

Here are some shots of the skid plate.

with Hepco & Becker bars...

with Adv-Spec...

The top rack is in production now too. It got another last minute change to give it yet another option. We call it the KISS mount. You'll know soon what it's all about. It'll be ready around March 19th.

Thanks to everybody for the input, feedback, ideas (esp. Motoriley) and those who offered up bars (Mark, Gary, Jeff, Carlos, Sean, Mark & Brian @ Pacific BMW) and all!

Also thanks to the mods for letting me run it and get feedback and look for riders with various engine bars etc...

Now that it's production it can go to vendors...

Dave
danielcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #86
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Great looking skid plate. Is it easy to change the oil filter with this skid plate on? Do you have to remove the whole plate to change the oil? How much does it weigh? Thanks. oclv
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #87
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos
Thanks Dave. I'm looking forward to receiving my order. It looks like it will be worth the wait.

God Bless,
David
Thanks David.

I just checked the tracking # I gave you and "shipment has reached destination country". I don't know if that means it's through Customs yet but we'll see. It's NAFTA compliant and loaded with the appropriate paperwork so that should speed things along.

...and thanks danielcc for the positive comments!

One day I will have to figure out how to do multiple quotes in one reply!

Dave
Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #88
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454
Great looking skid plate. Is it easy to change the oil filter with this skid plate on? Do you have to remove the whole plate to change the oil? How much does it weigh? Thanks. oclv
Thanks for the comments!

It's really close to get the oil filter out without dropping the plate but the biggest problem with that would be having residual oil go all over the inside of the skid plate. It's easier and cleaner to just remove it. It only takes about 3 minutes to remove the two front bracket bolts and the four stock nuts underneath. It only takes me about 2 minutes 'cause I have done it a 100 times.

Also all the mounting points line up perfectly so it's really easy to put the skid plate on. That's one of the first comments I always hear! Look on page 10 here; http://tinyurl.com/ycvfnes

The skid plate weighs 5 lbs. It's about 1 1/4 lbs. heavier than the BMW/Touratech one. Much more solidly built and it'll be around for the long run too. When you compare the two of them it's almost . Our skid plate is designed to go the extra 10% for the rider that will really put the bike through it's paces. We use 4mm aluminium not 1/8" (3mm), no weld right down the middle on the bottom , stronger welding too -TIG'd inside and out, and no rivets.

I would be really curious to see what other comparable skid plates weigh.

Any more q's just fire away.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #89
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Top Rack status

Hey riders,

Here is an update on the status of the Top Rack.

It is on track to be completed for the end of this week (March 19th)
Finally!
http://www.motooverland.com/index_files/Page508.htm

I will be sending emails to everyone on the list to see if you are still in or you got tired of waiting for vapourware

Here's the scoop about the last feature we added to an already lengthy list of features;

We call it KISS top box mounting.

Yup that's right Keep It Simple Stupid!

After bashing our brains in trying to come up with a versatile top box mounting system it struck us. We already use it for mounting out Tool Box to our skid plates.

Carriage bolts! For those of you who don't know carriage bolts have a square section under the button head at the base of the threads.
We just changed two of the central Rotopax L bracket mounting holes to squares.

So now you can take any Pelican type box, a Touratech Zega top box, a Caribou top box etc. and just drill two holes in the right spot, add two carriage bolts and washers and nuts and you're done!

It's not quick release (more on that below) but it's simple, readily available, inexpensive...actually cheap and totally secure! At that price you can have a few different size top boxes.

We will be making a kit that will have stainless carriage bolts, washers, rubber/stainless washers and a hand tighten-able nut so you won't even need tools too.

So wasn't that worth the extra wait?

We hope so!

KISS

Thanks,

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 03-15-2010 at 12:29 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #90
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Hey Dave,

Here's pic from our trip to Death Valley this weekend. Your v.2 skip plate for the F6/8GS fits great with Hepco-Becker crash bars and provides good coverage.
As soon as I get my off-road tires mounted I'll put it to the test.

levity is offline   Reply With Quote