ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #91
superhawkrider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Bremerton, WA
Oddometer: 37
Great, I will be getting the finishing touches on my bike soon . Standing by for price and when to order.
__________________
2012 K1600GT, 2010 Lava Orange 800GS, 03 XR400R,04 R1150RT (traded), 08 KLR650 (sold), 98 Superhawk (junkyard), 94 KLR250 (sold), 94 CBR900RR (junkyard), 92 CBR600f2 (traded), 78 XS400 (given away)
superhawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #92
toowheels OP
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
Hey Dave,

Here's pic from our trip to Death Valley this weekend. Your v.2 skip plate for the F6/8GS fits great with Hepco-Becker crash bars and provides good coverage.
As soon as I get my off-road tires mounted I'll put it to the test.

Hey levity!

Thanks for the pic Your bikes lookin good.
I checked out your other pics too with Mrs. levity

Looks nice and warm and dry there.

On the Top Rack news looks like we are going with a fine textured semi -gloss black powder coat as opposed to the semi-gloss on the F800 GS V2 skid plate.

It will grip better, and hide tiny scratches better too. It looks about the same as the Rotopax L bracket finish.

We want to stay away from anodizing 'cause there are just too many bad chemicals involved!

Thanks,

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
& Giant Loop for Canada

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #93
markymcd
Studly Adventurer
 
markymcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
Hey Dave,

Here's pic from our trip to Death Valley this weekend. Your v.2 skip plate for the F6/8GS fits great with Hepco-Becker crash bars and provides good coverage.
As soon as I get my off-road tires mounted I'll put it to the test.

Hey Levity... what are those panel protectors on the 'tank' side.

cheers,
Mark
__________________
www.adventuredecals.com
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #94
levity
nano-Adventurer
 
levity's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Irvine, Calif.
Oddometer: 1,088
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
Hey Levity... what are those panel protectors on the 'tank' side. cheers, Mark
Those are Gripster 'tank' pads from techspec-usa.

They don't have precut pads for the 6 or 8GS, but they sell 7.5x13" sheets (2/pkg, $37) so you can make your own.
You can bevel the edges with a grinder or sander so they look almost 'factory'.

I ordered the snakeskin style and had them to throw in one sheet with the sportbike adhesive (removable)
and one with MX adhesive (stronger) to try on my dirtbike IMS tank.

They help grip the bike with your knees seated or standing and should help protect the paint as well.
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #95
BLACK TUSK
weekend warrior
 
BLACK TUSK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: SQUAMISH.B.C.CANADA FORMERLY JINDABYNE AUSTRALIA
Oddometer: 5
MOD skid plate for BMW F800GS

Greetings fellow f8 riders.
As a reply to Dave's post regarding his new skid plate...
I'd like to advise, that in my short experience, this kind of protection is the most critical that you can invest in for your bike.
Unlike crash bars, which come into play when you're no longer upright.
The correct skid plate is paramount protection against errant thrown stones as a result of simply riding.
Within 15 minutes of my first off-road adventure, I had damaged my exhaust.
This was a direct result of thrown stones.

I had met Dave at the Vancouver bike show this year, in the course of investigating all things f8, although I didn't yet own one, or have much of an idea when I would.
I was immediately impressed with the man and his products.

Quite suddenly, a short time later, I found myself being the owner of a new f8.
After finally securing dual-sport tires, I immediately set forth for the mandatory test to discover the off-road capabilities of the bike.
This resulted in the afore mentioned blight on my new baby.
My first course of action was to contact Dave. The skid plates we're not yet ready for delivery, however Dave was very forthcoming in offering me a loaner to bridge the period, There-by enabling me to actually ride my new toy.
Several rides, enjoyed to sound of rocks wind-chiming off my skid plate,
gave me a grin in the helmet, to know they were singing off the plate, and not crushing the vulnerable oil filter and cooler.
Recently Dave hooked me up with the new modified plate and last weekend I headed up the Squamish and Elaho rivers to see where the snow would halt me. Sure enough the plate had a bite. This averted missile was headed directly for the oil lines.
I personally, can't imagine venturing off-road without this critical armour, as it's avoided damage to the bike on each ride.

MOD plate... I particularly appreciate this product for the stealth design. Flat smooth bottom section and powder coated black finish.
It blends into the bike seamlessly.
The protection is outstanding and is after-all the reason for the unit.
It protects the engine, the cat, the oil cooler, the oil filter and the exhaust headers, all whilst subtly enhancing the dual-sport appearance of the bike .
The installation was so easy and quick and fit perfectly.
Thanks for bringing it to the market Dave!

Here are the before and after shots, with the brand new MOD skid plate.

[IMG]5[/IMG]
4
1
2

BLACK TUSK screwed with this post 03-15-2010 at 10:04 PM
BLACK TUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #96
toowheels OP
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK TUSK
Greetings fellow f8 riders.
As a reply to Dave's post regarding his new skid plate...
I'd like to advise, that in my short experience, this kind of protection is the most critical that you can invest in for your bike.
Unlike crash bars, which come into play when you're no longer upright.
The correct skid plate is paramount protection against errant thrown stones as a result of simply riding.
Within 15 minutes of my first off-road adventure, I had damaged my exhaust.
This was a direct result of thrown stones.

I had met Dave at the Vancouver bike show this year, in the course of investigating all things f8, although I didn't yet own one, or have much of an idea when I would.
I was immediately impressed with the man and his products.

Quite suddenly, a short time later, I found myself being the owner of a new f8.
After finally securing dual-sport tires, I immediately set forth for the mandatory test to discover the off-road capabilities of the bike.
This resulted in the afore mentioned blight on my new baby.
My first course of action was to contact Dave. The skid plates we're not yet ready for delivery, however Dave was very forthcoming in offering me a loaner to bridge the period, There-by enabling me to actually ride my new toy.
Several rides, enjoyed to sound of rocks wind-chiming off my skid plate,
gave me a grin in the helmet, to know they were singing off the plate, and not crushing the vulnerable oil filter and cooler.
Recently Dave hooked me up with the new modified plate and last weekend I headed up the Squamish and Elaho rivers to see where the snow would halt me. Sure enough the plate had a bite. This averted missile was headed directly for the oil lines.
I personally, can't imagine venturing off-road without this critical armour, as it's avoided damage to the bike on each ride.

MOD plate... I particularly appreciate this product for the stealth design. Flat smooth bottom section and powder coated black finish.
It blends into the bike seamlessly.
The protection is outstanding and is after-all the reason for the unit.
It protects the engine, the cat, the oil cooler, the oil filter and the exhaust headers, all whilst subtly enhancing the dual-sport appearance of the bike .
The installation was so easy and quick and fit perfectly.
Thanks for bringing it to the market Dave!

Here are the before and after shots, with the brand new MOD skid plate.

[IMG][/IMG]


Hey BLACK TUSK,

Thanks for the good words!

I'm glad to hear that the MOD F800 GS skid plate is doing everything it is supposed too!

I thought I would post a pic you sent me when you were riding the borrowed prototype skid plate;



So when you hear him talk about "rocks wind-chiming off my skid plate" you know he's not kidding!

I like your avatar name and pic too...Black Tusk is a great spot!

Cheers, see you out there!

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
& Giant Loop for Canada

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #97
BLACK TUSK
weekend warrior
 
BLACK TUSK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: SQUAMISH.B.C.CANADA FORMERLY JINDABYNE AUSTRALIA
Oddometer: 5
No worries Dave

I wouldn't be without the skid plate, as I said.
It did get a little gritty through that section.



Hope to catch you out there on Sunday.
BLACK TUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #98
toowheels OP
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 921
they do exist

Yes the MOD F800 /F650 GS Top Racks really do exist!

About a week behind schedule of course.

They are going to powder coating tomorrow...

Here's proof;



and here's a pic of the mounting spacers;


...even they are really cool.

I'll be getting in contact with those on the list.

Thanks for your patience!

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
& Giant Loop for Canada

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #99
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Penticton, BC
Oddometer: 1,443
Put me on that list for a rear rack please.
Bayner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #100
ThirdCoast
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ThirdCoast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
I have just been able to confirm the fit with Adv-Spec bars;





As for the Top Rack Motoriley we are still working on it. Glad to hear it's spring like already there! It certainly is here too.

The side RotoPax mount puts a lot more stress into the rack than one might think...especially off-road. So we are working with different reinforcement methods to see which works the best for production/price etc.

It will have the side mount capability but I am curious to hear how many riders out there really want to run the side mount?

The Givi mounting like I said before is it's difficult to get the mounts in the best position so there is a bit more room two-up. It is doable two-up now just a little tight with the E36 box. I am not sure how the other boxes compare.
Doing a Pelican with I believe the Caribou mount kit would be ideal cause you could place it right where you want it.

Is two-up a big priority for everyone?

In any case we are working hard to get the F800 GS Top Rack done ASAP!

Thanks,

Dave
Great Product you have here. I am interested in the Givi mount option and don't need two up space for that, not on this bike anyway. Have a bigger bike for that type of riding.

I like the RotoPax mount on the top rack when you need them, I wouldn't use them as a side mount. I might strap a soft bag on top of the RotoPax for off road riding.

I just found this thread and very interested in this product. Where do I sign.
__________________
Current bikes: K1600GT and F800GS.
ThirdCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #101
ba_
Beastly Adventurer
 
ba_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Westchester County, New York
Oddometer: 2,169
I'm interested in the top rack as well
ba_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #102
toowheels OP
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoast
Great Product you have here. I am interested in the Givi mount option and don't need two up space for that, not on this bike anyway. Have a bigger bike for that type of riding.

I like the RotoPax mount on the top rack when you need them, I wouldn't use them as a side mount. I might strap a soft bag on top of the RotoPax for off road riding.

I just found this thread and very interested in this product. Where do I sign.
Bayner, you already were on the list ThirdCoast and ba I have put you on the list too. Please email me; dave@motooverland.com

I just want to be sure there is no confusion over the Givi mounting.

I have a Givi E36 Monokey box that can be top or side mount. It uses the two post and one latch mechanism to lock on. This is what fits onto the MOD F800 GS Top Rack. It's not the typical Givi plastic top piece and associated top cases that fits on the rack.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly which other models fit on but so far it seems it's the E36/E45, E360, B36N, E52 and maybe the new TRK33N Alu./Plastic. So it seems like all MonoKey cases will work. It's difficult to tell as they don't show any of the actual mounting for their cases.

That's it for now...

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
& Giant Loop for Canada

www.motooverland.com

toowheels screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 11:19 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #103
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,646
Givi

Can't wait for the racks to ship!
Pretty much all the Givis seem to use the same plate. On the 1150GS you would add an adapter plate in order to position the case more to the rear.





The E189 is specifically for the 1150 but Givi makes a generic plate that can be bolted to anything. Like this E250






Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
Bayner, you already were on the list ThirdCoast and ba I have put you on the list too. Please email me; dave@motooverland.com

I just want to be sure there is no confusion over the Givi mounting.

I have a Givi E36 Monokey box that can be top or side mount. It uses the two post and one latch mechanism to lock on. This is what fits onto the MOD F800 GS Top Rack. It's not the typical Givi plastic top piece and associated top cases that fits on the rack.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly which other models fit on but so far it seems it's the E36/E45, E360, B36N, E52 and maybe the new TRK33N Alu./Plastic. So it seems like all MonoKey cases will work. It's difficult to tell as they don't show any of the actual mounting for their cases.

That's it for now...

Dave
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #104
gpracer171
Kodak Courage
 
gpracer171's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Erlangen, Germany
Oddometer: 358
Rack Pricing?

Great looking Products dave. I am still awaiting my Wild at Heart Crash bars and will then be sending you pics to check compatibility of the Skid Plate. I will also be needing a rear rack. Do you have the price for the rack determined yet? Sorry if I missed it somewhere?
__________________
Mike

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #105
toowheels OP
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Can't wait for the racks to ship!
Pretty much all the Givis seem to use the same plate. On the 1150GS you would add an adapter plate in order to position the case more to the rear.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1055995348



The E189 is specifically for the 1150 but Givi makes a generic plate that can be bolted to anything. Like this E250

Thanks for the info on that Motoriley. The plastic mounting plates look different but on closer inspection they function the same.

Here is a pic (caution- poor phone pics as I broke my camera a week ago) of the finished MOD F800 GS Top Rack (Tail Rack). They turned out very well!



The price on them is going to be $119.99 CDN (No gpracer171 you didn't miss it as it still had to be fully figured out).

Just to go over the features again;

-two position fore and aft adjustment for solo or two-up riding

-RotoPax top mount, top mount with L bracket and side mount with L bracket. There is a rib welded underneath the rack that reinforces the Rotopax side mounting. Side mount is for 1 gallon fuel pack only! More on RotoPax below.

-Givi top box mount option. The two holes near the top that are "off on their own" are for the two Givi mount pegs. The latch block mounts into the rear centre slot. You just need to use larger washers to make the rear block work and washers to space up the two pegs. You may also want to run rubber pads to keep the box from "rattling". The E36 I put on didn't seem to need it as the contact points keep it under pressure.

-KISS top box mounting. Yup Keep It Simple Stupid. This was the last design change to the Top Rack. Two of the holes were changed to squares which enables you to run carriage bolts from underneath the rack and through two holes you can drill into virtually any box. For those of you who don't know carriage bolts have a square section under the button head at the base of the threads. Take a Pelican for example. Drill two holes using the rack as a template, get two carriage bolts of the right length, some washers and nuts and you are done! It's easy to get your hand underneath to feed in the bolts. This way you can afford to have multiple sizes of top boxes too for different occasions. We plan to make our own hardware kits for this later on to make it a tool free operation.

-The rack mounting slots are key holed so you can remove the Top Rack without removing the hardware completely. (Thanks Motoriley for that idea!) This enables you to swap around all of the configurations without fumbling around with the spacers and bolts. The stainless steel bolts are extra long to facilitate this. The spacers are CNC machined aluminium with a bit more shape than just straight cylinders...we couldn't help ourselves;



-Of course a full compliment of slots for strapping stuff on and the slots are lined up so that they are still accessible with the RotoPax flat on top.

-Black textured powder coat finish. Not as slippery as the smooth finish of the 2nd proto. and it hides marks, scuffs and scratches better.

Whew, I think that covers it.

The website will be updated shortly with all the pics of the different configurations but they can all be found on this thread too.

RotoPax
For the US customers wanting to buy RotoPax to go with the Top Rack go here; http://www.rotopax.com/

They also run a ADVrider 10% discount, code; advrider. You have to not only put the items in your cart, but register as a new customer before the discount code will be accepted.
When we do start selling RotoPax we won't sell any to the US because there is no point. It's less expensive and less shipping time and $$ for you to go direct.
Once again the side mount is only for the 1 gal. You could put a 2 gal. on top or stack two 1 gal. as well. The 2 gal. is quite big and ugly for a moto.
The weight limit of the rack is 26 lbs. though so don't overdo it.

I think I have covered everything?
A big thanks to everyone for your input and positive response on this.

Shipping begins next week and there is a long waiting list so please be patient with us. We are a really small parts manufacturer.

The F800 GS V2 skid plate has also now been confirmed with Holan engine bars (and therefore Holan Pro's too). So the V2 skid plate fits;
Adventure-Spec, BMW, Givi, Hepco & Becker, Holan, SW-Motech, and Touratech confirmed so far.



We have also stared another run of both F800 GS V2 Skid Plates and Top Racks to try to keep up with demand.

Any questions please email me; dave@motooverland.com

Thanks again!

Mods; this thread can be moved to Vendors as now both of these products are in production. Thanks for letting us get feedback on these.

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
& Giant Loop for Canada

www.motooverland.com

toowheels screwed with this post 03-27-2010 at 11:18 AM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014