Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #121
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
Some better pics of the production F800/F650 GS Top Racks.

with the Rotopax mount on top...

and the spacers mounted up...

Check your Inbox if you are still waiting to hear from me but I'm still gettin around to everyone!

Thanks,

Dave
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #122
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I have the Metal Mule Pannier Racks that cover the grab rail tube you sink the front mount into. If those front spacers were cut at the bottom of the taper that would rest on the flattened tube from the MM rack and the height would be within a couple mm. When my turn comes up for order can I request this modification to the front mounts?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #123
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
I have the Metal Mule Pannier Racks that cover the grab rail tube you sink the front mount into. If those front spacers were cut at the bottom of the taper that would rest on the flattened tube from the MM rack and the height would be within a couple mm. When my turn comes up for order can I request this modification to the front mounts?
I'll be interested to see how that works out--keep us posted, eh? You could also add a few stainless washers below the rear spacer to level it up. That's what I did on my TT rack. I think the MMs sit higher than the TT panniers, so you might want a bit of extra height to get the rack up even with the top of the panniers.

Rob in Seattle
Old 04-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #124
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Hey gr8ridn can you give me more details on this?
I may be able to make some cut down spacers but I need a little more info to get the right dimensions. I have looked at the pic on Best Rest's site to get a better idea and I've also had another request about this set-up and longer bolts.

I was told that the MM rack adds a 1/4" to the height of the front. Is that accurate? If I can get an accurate measurement on that it should just be a matter of making the exact right length spacer and everything should fit up pretty level.

Also while we are at it maybe you can put a straight edge between the panniers to see how much height is between them and the top of the top front mounting points of the rack so I can get an idea where our rack sits as per robhar54's suggestion.

robhar54 how much thickness did you add?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 04-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #125
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Dave,

I measured the thickness of the upper pannier rack flattened tube at 5mm. This is the height addition to the factory rear grab rail mount.

If I use a straight edge spanning between the top of the panniers that reference is 18mm above the rear grab rail mount not accounting for the 5mm pannier rack height increase. I hope this was clear. If you need any other measurements advise.

gr8ridn screwed with this post 04-04-2010 at 02:58 PM
gr8ridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #126
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Dave,

I measured the thickness of the upper pannier rack flattened tube at 5mm. This is the height addition to the factory rear grab rail mount.

If I use a straight edge spanning between the top of the panniers that reference is 18mm above the rear grab rail mount not accounting for the 5mm pannier rack height increase. I hope this was clear. If you need any other measurements advise.
Hey gr8ridin,

With the front spacers cut down the 5mm to accommodate the Metal Mule rack then the top of the MOD Top Rack will sit at 19mm above the rear grab rail mount. So it looks like they will fit together perfectly giving a level surface between the three of them as well!

Anybody else out there in Metal Mule rear rack land looking at the MOD Top Rack as well?

If you want this set-up I will look at doing a small run of custom front spacers so let me know if you are in ASAP.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #127
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
I have the Metal Mules on mine, so I'll see how it looks when I have the rack in my hand. I hve a hacksaw, but I may need to hit you up for a little longer front bolts. Funny, I forgot all about that when I decided on the rack!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #128
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Good, I look forward to ordering mine when you have more made.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #129
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
Anybody else out there in Metal Mule rear rack land looking at the MOD Top Rack as well?
Me, me! It may be a while though until I can make the purchase. (Second run should do it...)

Rob in Seattle
Old 04-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #130
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
TWOWHEELS -

Can we also get a couple PICS of the rear rack from a few steps back in order to get a feel for it's size and such?

BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #131
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH
TWOWHEELS -

Can we also get a couple PICS of the rear rack from a few steps back in order to get a feel for it's size and such?

Most of the good pics are on this thread but let me repeat some and add this one;

forward position

forward position

rearward position (first prototype...the 2nd proto and production version got about 1/8" smaller front to back)

I hope that gives you a good idea.

Dare I say it's the perfect size...not too big to be ugly...not to small to be very functional

Production is looking good too for the 2nd run of Top Racks to be done in about two weeks.

Dave
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #132
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Since you're selling and now shipping, you must confine your pimpin' posts to Vendors where this thread has been moved.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #133
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
The MOD F800 GS skid plate is now available!

It turned very well. Excellent coverage on the front, lower sides and whole bottom right back to the cat. Solid construction, TIG welded inside and out, 4mm thick aluminium, CNC'd countersunk welded mounting points, tool box mount and Canadian made...in Vancouver, B.C. It's got it all.
Confirmed fit with these engine bars so far...SW-Motech, Hepco & Becker, Adventure-Spec, Touratech, BMW, Givi...

We are still looking for some Holans to confirm with...someone around Vancouver??

Visit www.motooverland.com for details.

Here are some shots of the skid plate.

with Hepco & Becker bars...

with Adv-Spec...

The top rack is in production now too. It got another last minute change to give it yet another option. We call it the KISS mount. You'll know soon what it's all about. It'll be ready around March 19th.

Thanks to everybody for the input, feedback, ideas (esp. Motoriley) and those who offered up bars (Mark, Gary, Jeff, Carlos, Sean, Mark & Brian @ Pacific BMW) and all!

Also thanks to the mods for letting me run it and get feedback and look for riders with various engine bars etc...

Now that it's production it can go to vendors...

Dave
Hi Gadget Boy,

I have been waiting for that.

Hence I mentioned that in the post above and again on page 8 when the Top Racks were done...fair is fair.

I really appreciate you guys letting me run through the product development and prototyping here! Thanks!

See you out there!

Dave
Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #134
dmasliah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
F800gs top rack

Toowheels,
I just got my top rack today. It is very well made, and it is just as advertised. Looks great on the back of the bike. I spent a lot of time trying to decide which toprack to get. Unlike some of the other vendors, you answered all my e-mails . I'm very happy with the purchase..Dan
dmasliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #135
GSranger
blacksheep

Oddometer: 83
Laugh F8GS top rack

+1! My top rack arrived yesterday and it freakin rocks

Thanks Dave for your constant communication and an awesome, well thought out product! I'm looking forward to more products from MOD.
GSranger is offline   Reply With Quote