ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #121
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
"My" map is their map, which is this map, nothing more, nothing less:

I still have a book with all of the topo maps for Utah. It was sold by the GWT trail group 15-18 years ago. I could dig it out if you have any questions.

If I recall, the different corridors were marked to show which were motorized and which where not.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #122
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
I still have a book with all of the topo maps for Utah. It was sold by the GWT trail group 15-18 years ago. I could dig it out if you have any questions.

If I recall, the different corridors were marked to show which were motorized and which where not.
Well yea! Knowing about the corridors would be great but after 15 years and receint travel management things may have changed.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #123
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
To the four of you trying to create this new route: I read this thread thru, so I guess I can conclude there are no plug and play tracks ready for prime time by us coat tailers...

I finished the CDR using Cannonshot's tracks and left my bike in Cave Creek last week. My plan is to rent an apartment March/April next year and explore with my little Yamaha WR2R. I was hoping to do the AZ section of this trail. Is that reasonable?

How far north can I ride before hitting snow issues? I lived in Scottsdale for a few years so I know the weather down there, but can't remember much north of the rim.

Should I just save BigDog's tracks and try to ride that as far as I can?

Thanks
IMHO BigDog's tracks are often well away from any version of the GWT especially in southern Utah. His track goes up Smokey Mountain road between Big Water and Escalante. The GWT seems to be west of there along the lines of Jerry's tracks. I think his track is incorrect just north of Phoenix but I can't remember where.

But as you might have surmised the GWT is not one unique route even on the official map. I generally get my information from Benchmark maps and they often do not agree with the offical map. But it is much easier to translate Benchmark map info into GPS tracks because of the excellent detail in showing roads.

Fortunately I am not a purist. I just go out and look for a good ride.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #124
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Took a look at Countdowns ( gwt ut scout 2 ) tracks and it looks pretty good. He does however have hiking only tracks that are close to Hwy 12 just south of Torrey.

From Hwy 89 up Sand road to Deer Springs follows the GWT and up through Crawford pass onto Tropic res.

Once at Hwy 12, taking FR 177 or Hwy 22 up to either Pine lake or Widtsoe junct. would work either way.

Also, once off the Aquarius plateau either heading up to Fish lake or north out of Torrey looks good either way.

Taking Smokey Mount. road, although spectacular, it is not close to the GWT.

Once north of Fish Lake I would suggest heading over to Salina for gas. Will be awhile on the Skyline drive before one can refuel.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #125
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Took a look at Countdowns ( gwt ut scout 2 ) tracks and it looks pretty good.
Snuffy,

Many thanks for some local knowledge. However GWT UT Scout 2 is very old news. Could you look at and comment on the latest file, "Options" in post 119?

As stated in other responses, the Dixie map is not clear on which single tracks are open to motorized. The tracks named GWT are from the Dixie map. The red ones are single track and the Dark Green ones are roads. Can't tell if any of the Red tracks are open to bikes.

My "Option" tracks are possible roads bypassing what may be non-motorized trails. Our BIG question is track "Option 3b" nerar McGath Lake. It shows as single track and Scott looked on GE and says it goes through trees and can't see it very well. What do you know about it?

Another querstion: where is there gas in the area?

Jerry
Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #126
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Once at Hwy 12, taking FR 177 or Hwy 22 up to either Pine lake or Widtsoe junct. would work either way.

Also, once off the Aquarius plateau either heading up to Fish lake or north out of Torrey looks good either way.

Taking Smokey Mount. road, although spectacular, it is not close to the GWT.

Once north of Fish Lake I would suggest heading over to Salina for gas. Will be awhile on the Skyline drive before one can refuel.
What about Option 1?

What is number of Smokey Mt. road or what track name?

Are you talking about Fish Creek Lake? If so can you bike to it from the SE (Beef Mdws)?

Is there gas in Torrey?

Countdown screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 10:41 AM
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #127
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Snuffy,

Many thanks for some local knowledge. However GWT UT Scout 2 is very old news. Could you look at and comment on the latest file, "Options" in post 119?

As stated in other responses, the Dixie map is not clear on which single tracks are open to motorized. The tracks named GWT are from the Dixie map. The red ones are single track and the Dark Green ones are roads. Can't tell if any of the Red tracks are open to bikes.

My "Option" tracks are possible roads bypassing what may be non-motorized trails. Our BIG question is track "Option 3b" nerar McGath Lake. It shows as single track and Scott looked on GE and says it goes through trees and can't see it very well. What do you know about it?

Another querstion: where is there gas in the area?

Jerry
Where is McGath Lake? Once I know maybe I can help. Ok, I found it. I think that is a hiking trail that connects.

Your "Option" appears to be hiking trails up to Boulder Mnt. From Hwy 12 the only way that I am aware to get up to Boulder Mnt. is up Chokeberry, and I would not even think about it. Mucho tough!

Snuffy screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 11:35 AM
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #128
quota
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Is there gas in Torrey?
Definitely gas in Torrey as well as Bicknell.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #129
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What about Option 1?

What is number of Smokey Mt. road or what track name?

Are you talking about Fish Creek Lake? If so can you bike to it from the SE (Beef Mdws)?

Is there gas in Torrey?
Option 1; Everything you have near/along Hwy 12 is hiking trail to the best of my memory.

Smokey Mt. road starts at Big Water, UT. and ends in Escalante. Roughly 96 miles long. Starts as NPS 230. Garmin shows it as Missing Canyon road which is very misleading, unless they have corrected it.

Talking about Fish Lake, just N.W. of Loa.

Gas in Torrey, Loa , Bicknell.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #130
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone mind if I post some relevant pics?
Old 10-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #131
quota
Studly Adventurer

Maybe I don't have the topo maps for the entire state of Utah. I've found everything for norther Utah (starting just north of I-70). I either can't find the southern half, or I've never had it as I thought.

I'll attach the overall map for southern Utah. It might be only slight better than what HogWild posted.

I'll have to start paying more attention when I'm out riding. Seems like we are always running into signs for the GWT, and we ride sections of it, but have never linked it all together in one ride.

Red solid lines are motorized/ATV routes
Red broken lines are "trail". This could be hiking or motorcycle, but more often than not, would be hiking.

Blue solid line is groomed snowmobile trail
Blue broken line in ungroomed snowmobile.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #132
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Quotas map with the solid red lines looks direct and easy to navigate. Absolutely beautiful up there. Thanks for the map quota.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #133
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Another nice way of getting from Boulder to Torrey might be the dirt road east of 12 that goes up into Capital Reef NP. It comes into 12 about 18 miles north of Boulder.

We were planning to take it April a year ago, but it was closed due to snow. There would be some pavement riding both on 12 and in the northern part of Capital Reef, but it should be a scenic ride.

It is almost surely not on the GWT though.

Anybody ever ridden it?
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #134
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
Maybe I don't have the topo maps for the entire state of Utah. I've found everything for norther Utah (starting just north of I-70). I either can't find the southern half, or I've never had it as I thought.

I'll attach the overall map for southern Utah. It might be only slight better than what HogWild posted.
Much better map, thanks. Any way you can e-mail me a pdf version or can someone tell me how to strip it from your post? Maps 117 & 112 would be helpfull.

I think this is about it
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Dixie Forest Map.gpx (100.9 KB, 39 views)

Countdown screwed with this post 10-08-2011 at 12:49 PM
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #135
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Scott,

What do you see in this area? The Dixie map shows the Magenta tracks as roads, the Red track is the hiking GWT. What is not clear is how road s 1297 & 554 connect to any thing?

I think there are places on the hiking GWT that are actually 2-tracks that their map shows as single track.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Road 1782-12.gpx (11.6 KB, 45 views)