Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #151
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefastandswerve
Whenver one becomes available.........let me know.....chuck.....
PM answered. It looks like I wil get to it late fall or early winter. It really depends on the availablity of a bike.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #152
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Redesign for the XR650L

I have modified the XR650L Stand a little bit. Even there has no reported problems with the origional design I wanted to create a little more gorund clearance when the rear suspension was fully compressed. I liked the design of the TE610 stand and wanted to see if I could make it work on the L.

I made a stand for my bike and have used it for the last month and there seens to be no problem. The side stand will come up against the center stand when both are in the retracted position.

I will take a few more pictures to show the it better in a day or so.

Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 10-22-2010 at 02:11 PM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #153
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Here are the pictures of the new design for the XR650L. The stand was not painted yet. Mainly because it is for a customer and I didn't want to paint it twice or wait for the paint to dry.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #154
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Transalp?

ADV inmate wdeta brought his Transalp over today. With his help I think we came up with a design for the center stand. I think it will be a bolt on center stand that will not require any modification or removal of any componets from the bike to mount the stand.

I will try and have a test unit ready by the end of the week. We will then mount the stand on wdeta's bike for testing. I will be gone again for a couple of weeks riding which will provide some time for testing on the stand. If everyhting works perfectly I will make the stand available. If I feel more testing is required we will wait a bit until I am sure.

I must say that I am pleased that it appears that the stand will be able to be mounted without removing anything from the bike and no modifications will need to be made to attach the stand to the bike. I hope this turns out to be true. May loose about 1/2" of ground clearance.

Oh I forgot to mention, if it does not work out it is wdeta's fault!

Cigar Mike
Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #155
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Hopefully it pans out...or else wdeta is gonna feel some heat from all these interested inmates...

Looking forward to hearing of progress.

csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #156
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy
Hopefully it pans out...or else wdeta is gonna feel some heat from all these interested inmates...
That is a two edged sword. He should get a lot of credit if it works.

It looks to me at this time that the stock length oil filter would have to be used. The longer one may fit but the stand would have to be removed to get off the longer oil filter. wdeta is going to check how much longer the filter is than stock.

I will get one to work. I just wanted one that did not require any holes to be drilled. If this one won't work, I may have to fall back to that design.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #157
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Correction: BOTH of you should get a lot of credit when it pans out.

Thanks again for your efforts!

csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #158
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

We use only the best methods for building the stands. SWAG and KISS methods seem to be what works.

Fabrication is based on the fact that I love animals. Gorilla welds and Alligator cuts are the norm. And if it can't be fixed with a hammer or a cutting torch, it must not be broken (retired steamfitter).

I enjoy doing this (except when I make stupid mistakes and have to redo it ) and it will be nice when we get something to work on the Transalp.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 AM   #159
Sportourer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Sounds great! I hope the Transalp stand pans out...
IBA#364
STOC#4028
AMA#372280
Sportourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #160
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Custom for Oz

A TE630 owner in Oz requested a custom stand for his new bike. He wanted more surface area for the times he was in the outback. We came up with a design to increase surface area when needed but would not need to be used on harder surfaces. This is actually a TE610 stand since the owner is going to extend the suspension on the 630.

Here are a few pictures nearing completion. If there is any interest in something like this on other models. I could be a option made available upon request. I will have to charge a bit more. If anyone else wants something like this let me I know and I will come up with a price.

I really don't think it is needed unless you ride in really deep sand all of the time.

This design would also allow an adustable height stand to be made easily. I wonder?

Comments?

I start on the Transalp this afternoon.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #161
norvegicus
waiting for spring...

Oddometer: 220
Mike can you make us a bolt on large surface area foot for the XT225 sidestand? There are lots of times I've wanted that.

A couple times when I just had to get off and leave the bike I ended up using the Cigar Mike™ center stand instead and it was stable in the deep sand but kind of a PITA to engage. A fat sidestand foot would have been much more convenient for quick parking to pee or take a photo. Also for when I park on the grass when I ride to work...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #162
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvegicus
Mike can you make us a bolt on large surface area foot for the XT225 sidestand? There are lots of times I've wanted that.

A couple times when I just had to get off and leave the bike I ended up using the Cigar Mike™ center stand instead and it was stable in the deep sand but kind of a PITA to engage. A fat sidestand foot would have been much more convenient for quick parking to pee or take a photo. Also for when I park on the grass when I ride to work...
Sean,

For you, it is not a problem. How large would you like it to be? Of course, after you get it you will have to rework it.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #163
norvegicus
waiting for spring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
Sean,

For you, it is not a problem. How large would you like it to be? Of course, after you get it you will have to rework it.

Cigar Mike
Hmmm. Big enough to hold the bike up on soft grass or sand but not so big that it gets in the way when up, although looking at it, there seems to be plenty of room all around when it's up.

The factory foot is pretty small.

Maybe 3" in diameter, or the equivalent area in whatever shape is convenient?

My design idea: a flat plate on the bottom, with a plate welded on top of it that has a hole the shape of the factory foot, then another roughly U-shaped plate that bolts into threaded holes on top of that with a smaller hole, maybe matching the shape and location of the leg of the factory stand. Maybe three small bolts, with allen heads for durability. It basically sandwiches the factory foot. You can use pretty thin steel since it will be three layers thick.

btw my weld that replaced your broken weld also broke fairly soon, good thing I had a spare stand! I'm using the spare (older design) stand now, reworked a little bit , very happy with it, I took it on a week long off road camping trip with zero problems.

norvegicus screwed with this post 10-22-2010 at 06:54 PM
norvegicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #164
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvegicus
Hmmm. Big enough to hold the bike up on soft grass or sand but not so big that it gets in the way when up, although looking at it, there seems to be plenty of room all around when it's up.

The factory foot is pretty small.

Maybe 3" in diameter, or the equivalent area in whatever shape is convenient?

My design idea: a flat plate on the bottom, with a plate welded on top of it that has a hole the shape of the factory foot, then another roughly U-shaped plate that bolts into threaded holes on top of that with a smaller hole, maybe matching the shape and location of the leg of the factory stand. Maybe three small bolts, with allen heads for durability. It basically sandwiches the factory foot. You can use pretty thin steel since it will be three layers thick.

btw my weld that replaced your broken weld also broke fairly soon, good thing I had a spare stand! I'm using the spare (older design) stand now, reworked a little bit , very happy with it, I took it on a week long off road camping trip with zero problems.
I have seen some made like that. The ones for the BMW's are beautiful. There is someone in Vendors that is making some really trick ones. I was thinking that a plate about the size you describe would be about right. I have not looked at it yet but I was thinking that I would attach it to the stand on the leg using a pinch type clamp. It would keep everything off the bottom of the foot and make for a simple attachment.

If it was anyone else I would tell them to carry a piece of 1x4 with them.

You should see the size of the weld I am placing there now. Is it out of warranty? I sure hope it is. That darn stand is the most difficult to get right. I tried to stop making it. As soon as I posted that it was discontinued I got five requests for the stand. It had the opposite result of what I was looking for.

I did run out of some really good coffee a long time ago. Maybe a trade?

Good to hear from you and I will try to get to it before I leave for NM to ride with Slojoe the first of November. I got some new goodies to put on the bikes and have to find time to do that.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #165
norvegicus
waiting for spring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
I have seen some made like that. The ones for the BMW's are beautiful. There is someone in Vendors that is making some really trick ones. I was thinking that a plate about the size you describe would be about right. I have not looked at it yet but I was thinking that I would attach it to the stand on the leg using a pinch type clamp. It would keep everything off the bottom of the foot and make for a simple attachment.

If it was anyone else I would tell them to carry a piece of 1x4 with them.

You should see the size of the weld I am placing there now. Is it out of warranty? I sure hope it is. That darn stand is the most difficult to get right. I tried to stop making it. As soon as I posted that it was discontinued I got five requests for the stand. It had the opposite result of what I was looking for.

I did run out of some really good coffee a long time ago. Maybe a trade?

Good to hear from you and I will try to get to it before I leave for NM to ride with Slojoe the first of November. I got some new goodies to put on the bikes and have to find time to do that.

Cigar Mike
I was carrying a piece of plywood for a while actually, then lost it on the road somewhere.

Coffee would be a most excellent price. I can get right on that! Very cool.