Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #166
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by norvegicus
I was carrying a piece of plywood for a while actually, then lost it on the road somewhere.

Coffee would be a most excellent price. I can get right on that! Very cool.
I will PM you when I get it done. I will be getting the best of this deal.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #167
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 353
Eh? Transalp Stand

Glad to hear you acquired a test Transalp for center-stand I am ready cash in hand when you have the finished product ready to go. May be interested in the camel toe idea too.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #168
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout
Glad to hear you acquired a test Transalp for center-stand I am ready cash in hand when you have the finished product ready to go. May be interested in the camel toe idea too.
I will post some pictures of how the stand connects to the bike. That way you guys can see what it is like. I have been thinking about making two types. One would require drilling a couple of holes in the "L" bracket used for the rear shock linkage bracket. It would be basically the same stand except for how it is attached.

I will get some thoughts from you guys when I have them ready.

Camel Foot? I don't know if I will make more than one. I will have to see how it works out.

If this works out I am pretty sure the Transalp stand will be priced in the $150 to $160 range. ADVRiders will receive the 10% discount. Just tell me you are and inmate when you order.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #169
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Closed until November 15th

I am going South to ride for a couple of weeks.

I think wdeta is coming by in the next couple of days to check the Transalp out. When he does I will get a couple of pictures of the first prototype and post before I leave.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #170
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Closer

wdeta came by today and we worked on the transalp stand for about seven hours. Well I guess we know what won't work now.

We made a lot of progress and as it always turns out. The part that I thought might not work, worked well. The rest of it was just adjustments for fit and ease of intallation. I really would like it to be a 10-15 minute installation. Using a 17mm socket and a screw driver to relocate the hose bracket.

I am thinking that the press down leg should be on the right side of the bike though. I know a lot of guys don't like to walk around the other side of the bike to get the bike up on the stand. But the side stand will be an issue. It will hit up against the press down leg just before it would be fully retracted. But wdeta is not buying it. So we may come up with something yet.

I will make another prototype tomorrow or the next day. wdeta said he could come back Friday or Saturday. It would be nice if it fit the next time with just some minor fiddling.

I can't thank Dale (wdeta) enough. Great guy!

Cigar Mike
Old 10-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #171
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Proof

Here is a picture of a the prototype. wdeta is coming by tomorrow. Hopefully it will work and I will get some pictures off it on the bike. I would say it is 50/50 that this one will be right. It usually takes three to get it.

Bottom View

Three bolts to make up, they are easily accessible from under the bike.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #172
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I'm going to throw in a picture of my stand from my Africa Twin just in case it's of any use. I could take better pictures if need be.

1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #173
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Mario,

Thanks for posting the picture. I spend a lot of time looking at centerstands made by other manufacturers. It helps to see the DIY stands also. It is interesting how so many stands use tons of gussets rather then using materials and connections that are structurally sound. I have a construction background and see things a little differently then those with a manufacturing background.

Some of this is related to the welding procedure used in fabricating the stands. Gas Shielded Mig is not a structural certified welding procedure but is used because it looks good and requires much less cleanup, since there is so little weld spatter. Even in the piping industry MiG is only used for putting in the root pass on and open butt weld. It is not an accepted procedure on any other part of the weld.I prefer Flux core wire (intershield) since it is structurally certified. There is a lot more cleanup required but it is worth it to me. Especially when you consider where the centerstand is located and what would happen if it came apart while riding. I really do not want it to fail because of a weld that may look good but is not.

I use what I make on my bikes and the last thing I need is for the stand to be the cause of me or someone else getting hurt.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #174
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Transalp Prototype #2 and #2 1/2

wdeta came by this after noon and we mounted the centerstand on the bike. We put it up on the stand and everything looked pretty good. We took it off and went to place back on and I the cross piece bent. No problem, I replaced the cross member with heavier material and reinstalled. Placing the bike on the stand again and the new cross member proved to be strong enough.

There is an upper plate for clamping the stand on the bike that is not heavy enough. When I get back in a couple of weeks I will remake the top plate and try again. I am pretty pleased with it so far.

Dale has been a great help and has contributed a lot to the design. With all of the moles he has put on that bike he knows what he wants in a centerstand.

Here a some pictures of the stand on the bike. I am not sure but I don't think the stands appearance other then finish will change much.

You can see in the picture above that the side stand is keeping the centerstand from fully retracting. Picture below shows where the stand should be fully retracted. I need to shave a little of the bottom edge of the foot on the press down leg.

There is about 1/2" of decreased ground clearance.

Dale did sit and stand on the bike while up on the centerstand and it seemed stable and solid. Also tested to see if we could tip over off to its side and the width seems to make a solid platform

Hopefully the heavier upper plate will solve the problem of the stand be securely held in place. Prototype #3 coming soon.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #175
NorCalTA
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,478
Looks pretty good Mike

Just a thought - any chance you could increase the bearing area of the feet to be more stable and help prevent sinking in soft conditions?

NorCalTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #176
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA
Looks pretty good Mike

Just a thought - any chance you could increase the bearing area of the feet to be more stable and help prevent sinking in soft conditions?
I will have to see if I can. The side stand just misses the foot on the way up. If I make it any longer to the rear it will not clear. If I make it longer to the front, it will be very hard to get the bike on the stand. I could make it wider to the inside of the bike. That may be the only way to do it and still allow the bike to be rocked back onto the rear wheel so that the front can be lifted off the ground.

It looks like with about 1 1/2" of rear wheel ground clearance the bike is not too hard to get onto the stand. SW-Motech makes a lifting handle for the European model. It may be a good idea for this one also. I will see what I can do to offer one as an option. If you have pannier racks that should provide a place to grab onto.

Cigar Mike
Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #177
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Nice job Mike. One of the problems that I have with my existing stand is that the spring set-up isn't the greatest and it causes for the stand to have a lot of slop while riding off road. I'm imagining that your stand will be nice and taut when it's in the tucked away position? It seems as though you didn't have any issues with the XR stands in that regard. I'll continue to check the progress and will be sure to send you the extra length I would need for my modified TA. Thanks so much for your help! Mario
1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #178
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Shi
Nice job Mike. One of the problems that I have with my existing stand is that the spring set-up isn't the greatest and it causes for the stand to have a lot of slop while riding off road. I'm imagining that your stand will be nice and taut when it's in the tucked away position? It seems as though you didn't have any issues with the XR stands in that regard. I'll continue to check the progress and will be sure to send you the extra length I would need for my modified TA. Thanks so much for your help! Mario
I was going to use a lighter spring on this stand since the legs are so much shorter than the other models. But I know that this spring and the preload works well, so I might as well stay with what works. It also keeps me from having to stock a lot of different parts. It should keep the stand from bouncing even if you are crazy enough to jump that beast.

I will be pretty sure I have it down before I send yours.

Cigar Mike
Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #179
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
I use what I make on my bikes and the last thing I need is for the stand to be the cause of me or someone else getting hurt.

Cigar Mike
FWIW, I've completely punished the xr400 stand, and it has held up wonderfully

Gladly screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 07:45 AM
Gladly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #180
Sportourer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
The Transalp stand looks great. I can't wait for the finished version. It would have been nice to have before my trip to Alaska this past summer. But, better late than never!
IBA#364
STOC#4028
AMA#372280
Sportourer is offline   Reply With Quote