User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #211
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 431
Transalp stand off pavement testing

Took advantage of the weather yesterday to ride Switzerland trail outside of Boulder yesterday to get a little off pavement workout on the centerstand. It's not a tough ride, but it is pretty rocky so you get a lot of vibration etc. Due to snow and ice patches I didn't ride it as fast as normal.

The stand did well. Didn't notice any rattling, looseness or other wierdness. Did have a couple issues when using it in the dirt in that it didn't have to sink in very far to loose the rear wheel clearance and make it a bit tougher to get off the stand, but these are solvable. Mike already has some ideas.

Overall I think it will work and Mike is on the right track. When he gets orders for other stands filled I think he plans on making and shipping one to California where it can get a proper testing.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #212
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,532
Thanks Dale!!!

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #213
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
It does appears that the angle of the cross brace on the right side is different. Hopefully some one here in the Denver area can let me get a bike to check it out.

It also looks like an adjustment will need to be made to make sure the stand does not hit the rear shock linkage.

Cigar Mike

Looks like Pablo beat me to it! I'm thinking I'm gonna yank my NX650 in the air and take detailed photos with meticulous measurements of the underside, then pictures and measurements of the clearances to/fro and up/down.

I'm really, REALLY trying not to get my hopes up too high but...
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #214
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey View Post

Looks like Pablo beat me to it! I'm thinking I'm gonna yank my NX650 in the air and take detailed photos with meticulous measurements of the underside, then pictures and measurements of the clearances to/fro and up/down.

I'm really, REALLY trying not to get my hopes up too high but...
I am positive I can make a stand for the NX650. If I had the bike here it would be done already. It is very very easy to do based on the Honda stands I have already done. As long as the side stand is not a problem it will look exactly like the XR650L stand D#2. If the side stand is in the way it will look like the D#1 650 stand.

I will try and get down to pablo83's next week at his convenience.

Cigar Mike
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #215
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Transalp

Thanks for the update Dale.

The design will allow for a bigger footprint which should help. And as we discussed changing the design of the feet should help get the bike up easier. But from what I have read about Transalps, it seems no one thinks it is easy to get the bike up on a centerstand. I also think a little more thought on the pressdown leg can make a big difference.

Cigar Mike
Old 12-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #216
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Drz400

I looked at a DRZ today to see what I could do. It looks good to me and I will try and get a prototype done in the next week or two.

Cigar Mike
Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #217
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
my cigarmike stand is perfect! I am buying an xt225 soon and will get one for that as well ! Highest quality workmanship..i know a little about fitting/fixtures/tacking/cutting/welding/grinding and not only is everything square and perfectly aligned but the welds are smooth deep puddles and there are no sharp edges anywhere left to rip a finger on. It's nice to get a quality piece for hard earned $$ these days. I've gotten some real crap from reputable shops for other pwrsports machines before. Cigar Mike's the real deal.

Now if we can just talk him into aluminum for the same price.... :-)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #218
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
my cigarmike stand is perfect! I am buying an xt225 soon and will get one for that as well ! Highest quality workmanship..i know a little about fitting/fixtures/tacking/cutting/welding/grinding and not only is everything square and perfectly aligned but the welds are smooth deep puddles and there are no sharp edges anywhere left to rip a finger on. It's nice to get a quality piece for hard earned $$ these days. I've gotten some real crap from reputable shops for other pwrsports machines before. Cigar Mike's the real deal.

Now if we can just talk him into aluminum for the same price.... :-)
Thanks for the kind words. You should see my super trick 10'X11' shop I work in.

Anyone who wants a stand be sure to tell me you are an inmate. Don't miss out on the 10% discount.

Also remember if you have modified you suspension that custom heights will be done at no extra charge.

Does anyone make an aluminum centerstand? My thinking is since the weight is carried so low it acts as a counter weight. I assembled golf clubs for 10 years and we would weight the grips to create a lighter swing weight. This made the club feel lighter even though the overall weight of the club was greater. I don't notice any difference with the stand on the bike. But I am too old and too slow.

Cigar Mike
Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #219
drivefastandswerve
Indianapolis

Oddometer: 154
Laugh Ohhhhh, that TA centerstand looks Purty!!

Mike whenever you get that tested, and ready for sale, let me know! I'll be the first customer!

No centerstand on a "street / trail" bike should be outlawed!

Thanks again....Mr Inmate, Chuck

There really is no such thing as a 5 minute job!

1989 Honda Transalp (Gotta get it dirtier!)
2000 BMW R1100RT (Iron Butt Qualified)
1993 Honda XR250L (Great woods bike)
Misc mini-bikes (71 Honda Z50, 75 Honda XL70, 73 CT70, 79 XR80)
1973 Suzuki TM125 (vintage racer)
1974 Suzuki TM100 (Racer, when it's repaired!)
Misc motorcycle crap from many swapmeets!
drivefastandswerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #220
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Transalp Update

Dale came over today and we made a lot of progress. I should have a test stand that will be very close to the final design. This has taken more time than I thought it would. But it has been a lot of fun.

As you know this bike is heavy. I don't think it is too hard to get up on the stand. I think some of you will disagree. Dale has the front crash bars on his bike and using the front bar to help lift it up makes it a lot easier. We set the rear wheel ground clearance at about 1 3/4" and changed the angle of the legs which did provide more leverage at the pressdown leg which helped in getting the bike up on the stand.

With his cases on but empty, We added weight to the side cases and on the rear of the seat of 45lbs and Dale was still able to get the bike up on the stand. But I would not describe it as easy. I think I will call this model the "NO Wimps TA Centerstand".

Cigar Mike
Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #221
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 364
Thumb TransAlp Centerstand

Great to here of the progress and can't wait to see the finished product the 1 3/4" clearance on the rear is just what the doctor ordered. Let me know when you are ready to start taking orders and I will pay-pal you the funds!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #222
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

I did make some of the improved parts today. It was kind of funny because I was using a particle board mock up that Dale made to double check what I made from steel. I think Dale has more hours in this than I do.

It is amazing how much force is involved with this bike. Unless I am 100% certain this will work I will not release it. When I think of what could happen if it failed. It makes me shutter.

Cigar Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #223
Sportourer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I can't wait for the Transalp stand as well! I have an MRA centerstand for a european Transalp that had mounts on the frame for one that I acquired a few years ago. It is supposed to be a duplicate of the one that was available from Honda. If it would help you at all in the development of your stand or to figure out the leverage point to make it easier to lift I would gladly send it to you. I guess I should have offered this sooner, but I never thought about it until I read where you were having some issues with this one.
IBA#364
STOC#4028
AMA#372280
Sportourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #224
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportourer View Post
I can't wait for the Transalp stand as well! I have an MRA centerstand for a european Transalp that had mounts on the frame for one that I acquired a few years ago. It is supposed to be a duplicate of the one that was available from Honda. If it would help you at all in the development of your stand or to figure out the leverage point to make it easier to lift I would gladly send it to you. I guess I should have offered this sooner, but I never thought about it until I read where you were having some issues with this one.
Thanks for the offer. Dale and I both looked at any thing we could find on centerstands for the TA. It appears that the balance point is right in line with the lower shock linkage mounting bolt. That is where we started and it seemed to be about right. We both wanted a stand that could be rocked back on the rear wheel so that the front tire could be removed to fix a flat. So far it appears that additional weight would have to be placed on the rear to hold the front up. We placed 10lbs on Dale's top case and it would hold the front off the ground. Side cases where removed. We also wanted to keep the loss of ground clearance to a minimum. We are just a shade over 1/2" now and I think this is the best we can do.

We will have to check, but it might sit back on the rear once the axle is pulled on the front wheel. That is the way I have it on the wife's XT. When the saddle bags are on. It will sit back on its own. They always are on.

I have been a little busy with orders so I haven't been able to complete another stand yet. Sorry for the delay. I also am taking a couple of days to make a stand for Patrick Trahan. I will get a couple done for testing by the first of January.

Cigar Mike
Old 12-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #225
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

TA Update

I did make another stand to test fit. I have a few pictures of what should be close to the final design. I wanted to post the pictures to see what you TA owners think. I do see that it is a bit unfinished. But I am too lazy to make everything perfect until I know it will work. Once jigs are made it will be easier.

Yes, I know the tab is not square.

You should be able to get an idea of how it attaches by looking at this earlier test stand. the stand just clamps on by tightening the three bolts which will clamp onto the rear shock linkage mounting brackets. I did not get an exact weight but it should be around 10-11 lbs.

Mario has modified his TA in the area that the stand attaches to. I am waiting to see what he wants to do before I complete the second test stand. I may need another volunteer for testing.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike