ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #226
ujeni
just doesn't get it
 
ujeni's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Oddometer: 464
The TA stand is looking good to me. As long as you meet four requirements, I'll be in line to buy one:
  1. Bolts on with no modifications to the bike.
  2. Does not interfere when riding.
  3. Is reasonably easy to get the bike onto.
  4. Durable and rust resistent...for those of us who are fighting salt water!

Oh yeah, and is a reasonable cost
__________________
00 Honda Africa Twin XRV750 RD07A -- Rebuild Story
89 Honda Africa Twin XRV650 RD03 -- Its here!! -- Restoration
69 Honda CB750 Sandcast - Next restoration project
ujeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #227
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,371
Good Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujeni View Post
The TA stand is looking good to me. As long as you meet four requirements, I'll be in line to buy one:
  1. Bolts on with no modifications to the bike.
  2. Does not interfere when riding.
  3. Is reasonably easy to get the bike onto.
  4. Durable and rust resistant...for those of us who are fighting salt water!
Oh yeah, and is a reasonable cost
1. The wire bracket that holds the tubes on the left side will need to be altered. Other than that it is a bolt on unit.

2. There is a loss of about 1/2" ground clearance.Whether that will interfere or not, I could not say.

3. Not sure about that. It depends on what you consider easy. They all seem easy to me. But not everyone would agree. I would say that this bike is the hardest one so far.

4. I only rattle can spray paint the stands. I don't know if any coating will stay on. It is hanging on the bottom of the bike. I have another model stand coming back to me with a two part epoxy paint applied. I am hoping that will turn out to be a coating I can apply that will work well. An ADV member is coating it for me.

I have not set the price yet. To be honest I don't know exactly how much time or material I have in making one. I would guess it will be somewhere around $160 based on my experience making the other stands. Not counting the 10% discount for ADV inmates.

I am trying to take all of your points into account. I know what I would want on my bike. I probably over build the stands a little. But if I am not confident in their use I will not make them available.

I am not satisfied with appearance yet. I will perfect that once I am sure this will work.

Thank you for your response.

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #228
ujeni
just doesn't get it
 
ujeni's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
1. The wire bracket that holds the tubes on the left side will need to be altered. Other than that it is a bolt on unit.

2. There is a loss of about 1/2" ground clearance.Whether that will interfere or not, I could not say.

3. Not sure about that. It depends on what you consider easy. They all seem easy to me. But not everyone would agree. I would say that this bike is the hardest one so far.

4. I only rattle can spray paint the stands. I don't know if any coating will stay on. It is hanging on the bottom of the bike. I have another model stand coming back to me with a two part epoxy paint applied. I am hoping that will turn out to be a coating I can apply that will work well. An ADV member is coating it for me.

I have not set the price yet. To be honest I don't know exactly how much time or material I have in making one. I would guess it will be somewhere around $160 based on my experience making the other stands. Not counting the 10% discount for ADV inmates.

I am trying to take all of your points into account. I know what I would want on my bike. I probably over build the stands a little. But if I am not confident in their use I will not make them available.

I am not satisfied with appearance yet. I will perfect that once I am sure this will work.

Thank you for your response.

Cigar Mike
  1. Not a problem at all.
  2. Losing .5 inches is no big deal.
  3. The center stand on my Africa Twin is super hard, while the center stand on my 2007 r1200gs was super easy (go figure). If it is anywhere in the middle, I'll be happy.
  4. Looking forward to hearing about the two-part paint.

$160 minus 10% sounds reasonable to me.

Looking forward to your final product! Thanks for writing back and have a happy new year!
__________________
00 Honda Africa Twin XRV750 RD07A -- Rebuild Story
89 Honda Africa Twin XRV650 RD03 -- Its here!! -- Restoration
69 Honda CB750 Sandcast - Next restoration project
ujeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #229
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alberta Rockies
Oddometer: 364
Transalp Centerstand

I would take one unpainted and have it powder-coated if that's possible? Otherwise send it painted and when it gets chipped up after a while I would powder-coat it then. My brothers company has a powder-coat division so cost is not an issue for me fortunately. Let me know when you are ready to ship and I will forward funds. Oh and by the way " Happy New Year Everyone"
__________________
96 DR 650,,87 XL600V,89 DR 750 Big,77 Montesa Cota 247,77 TY 250,76 TY175,76 TL 250,75 CT90
KilgoreTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #230
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Menasco Pirate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Lancaster, CA
Oddometer: 349
Looking Good

Do you have a weight yet?

Let me know when I can order one!
Also have a several stock TA's for fit check availible in CA

Steve
__________________
XLV750, RTL250S, 1989 XL600V, 1990 XL600V Transalps Red and Moonstone, 1992 XL600V Green, 1993 CRM250R, 1994 XRV750 Africa Twin
2009 FE390 tagged, 2011 FE450 tagged, 2011 FE570S super motard, 2011 FE570S
Menasco Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #231
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,371
Kilgore Trout,

Obviously that is not a problem.

Menasco Pirate,

I will weigh a unit Monday and find out. I will try and get one to you for testing next week also.

Thanks,

Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #232
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer
 
Brad Felmey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 4,977


Reading some of these replies just makes me laugh.

"As long as you have a model for my bike of which only 2 were ever produced, they're made of titanium plated in unobtanium, install themselves, the bike goes up with the power of positive thinking, has a lifetime unconditional warranty and costs no more than $40 I'm in!"
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #233
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,371
TA stand Weight

The stand weighed in at 9lbs 6 ounces.

I think the wants are reasonable. But I am not unaware of the fact that I am the only one in the world that offers the models I make for sell. This is just a hobby for me. There is no need for me to sell a large quantity. That is why custom heights are not a big deal.

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #234
drivefastandswerve
Indianapolis
 
drivefastandswerve's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Motogp Capital: Indianapolis, Indiana
Oddometer: 154
Puke Heck yes!!.....after dealing with milk crates....

Please, please put me on your list for the 89 Transalp centerstand, looks great, and after last week of pulling maintenance, I'm sooooo ready for the centerstand!! Life will be sooooo smooth after that!

- chuck
__________________
- chuck

There really is no such thing as a 5 minute job!

1989 Honda Transalp (Gotta get it dirtier!)
2000 BMW R1100RT (Iron Butt Qualified)
1993 Honda XR250L (Great woods bike)
Misc mini-bikes (71 Honda Z50, 75 Honda XL70, 73 CT70, 79 XR80)
1973 Suzuki TM125 (vintage racer)
1974 Suzuki TM100 (Racer, when it's repaired!)
Misc motorcycle crap from many swapmeets!
drivefastandswerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #235
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Menasco Pirate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Lancaster, CA
Oddometer: 349
Got the test stand

I received the center stand yesterday and it looks great. Off to install and report by this weekend.

Steve
__________________
XLV750, RTL250S, 1989 XL600V, 1990 XL600V Transalps Red and Moonstone, 1992 XL600V Green, 1993 CRM250R, 1994 XRV750 Africa Twin
2009 FE390 tagged, 2011 FE450 tagged, 2011 FE570S super motard, 2011 FE570S
Menasco Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #236
ujeni
just doesn't get it
 
ujeni's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Santa Cruz CA
Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasco Pirate View Post
I received the center stand yesterday and it looks great. Off to install and report by this weekend.

Steve
Would love to see pics of the stand on your bike Steve! Looking forward to getting one for myself!!
__________________
00 Honda Africa Twin XRV750 RD07A -- Rebuild Story
89 Honda Africa Twin XRV650 RD03 -- Its here!! -- Restoration
69 Honda CB750 Sandcast - Next restoration project
ujeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #237
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Menasco Pirate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Lancaster, CA
Oddometer: 349
I'll shoot a bunch as I put it on

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujeni View Post
Would love to see pics of the stand on your bike Steve! Looking forward to getting one for myself!!
__________________
XLV750, RTL250S, 1989 XL600V, 1990 XL600V Transalps Red and Moonstone, 1992 XL600V Green, 1993 CRM250R, 1994 XRV750 Africa Twin
2009 FE390 tagged, 2011 FE450 tagged, 2011 FE570S super motard, 2011 FE570S
Menasco Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #238
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefastandswerve View Post
Please, please put me on your list for the 89 Transalp centerstand, looks great, and after last week of pulling maintenance, I'm sooooo ready for the centerstand!! Life will be sooooo smooth after that!

- chuck
I thought you were already on the list.

I just want to know if it fits.

If it is easy to install.

If it works.

If it will hold together.

If anyone is strong enough to get the bike on the stand besides Dale and I.

Seems like a lot of ifs.

I guess we will have to wait and see. It does take some time and they don't always work out on the first attempt or the second. I hope the third is a charm. I expect some further tweaking. It usually works out once the stands get into the hands of the inmates and I receive some feedback.

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #239
drivefastandswerve
Indianapolis
 
drivefastandswerve's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Motogp Capital: Indianapolis, Indiana
Oddometer: 154
Puke Yep, already on the 89 Transalp list

Thanks CigarMike!! Just let me know when I can order one.

Ps...Do you make one for a '93 XR250R (Honda)?

- chuck

__________________
- chuck

There really is no such thing as a 5 minute job!

1989 Honda Transalp (Gotta get it dirtier!)
2000 BMW R1100RT (Iron Butt Qualified)
1993 Honda XR250L (Great woods bike)
Misc mini-bikes (71 Honda Z50, 75 Honda XL70, 73 CT70, 79 XR80)
1973 Suzuki TM125 (vintage racer)
1974 Suzuki TM100 (Racer, when it's repaired!)
Misc motorcycle crap from many swapmeets!
drivefastandswerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #240
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefastandswerve View Post

Ps...Do you make one for a '93 XR250R (Honda)?

- chuck

I have made a stand for a 2003 XR250R. I don't know if the frame is the same for the 1993 XR250R. If it is like the XR650L/XR600 the frames haven't changed. I hope someone here at ADV knows the answer. Page 5 post #61 shows the stand for the 2003. If you look at that you may be able to tell if it won't fit. I don't think it will indicate if it will.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014