Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #241
Sportourer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I wasn't aware that there was a list for the Transalp stand. I think I am the first person who ever asked if you would build one. But anyway, if there is a list please put me on it!
IBA#364
STOC#4028
AMA#372280
Sportourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #242
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportourer View Post
I wasn't aware that there was a list for the Transalp stand. I think I am the first person who ever asked if you would build one. But anyway, if there is a list please put me on it!
There is no official list. I do keep track of those that contact me or post that they are interested. I am not to concerned about the number that will be ordered. With there only being two years that the bike was imported how many people do you think will want one? I have found that everyone wants one until it is time to place the order. Eventually most everyone ends up buying one but I usually get to the bottom of the list right away.

You are the list.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike
Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #243
blktopburner
FAR POINT EXPLORER

Oddometer: 158
x

Kawa Super Sherpa....for sure?????

The "Clan over @ the http://autos.dir.groups.yahoo.com/gr...-Super-Sherpa/ would all go for that

JC-"the "Blktopburner"

Album:http://photobucket.com/JCs_super_sherpa

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure
'09 Kawa Super Sherpa
'06 Ducati 620 Multistrada
'81 BMW R100 Vintage Enduro Project

blktopburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #244
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktopburner View Post
Kawa Super Sherpa....for sure?????

The "Clan over @ the http://autos.dir.groups.yahoo.com/gr...-Super-Sherpa/ would all go for that
As soon as the TA and DRZ400 are done the Sherpa is next.

Cigar Mike
Old 01-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #245
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Center Stand for the Transalp

Mike was kind enough to send me a center stand for my 89 or 90 TA for test fitting and trials. I have had no business relationship with Mike and have never met him but look forward to meeting him someday. We have only exchanged a few PM on this web site.

I choose to install on the 90 which should be no different than the 89 but I have not tried both. My 90 is stock except for the rear shock. I can try the original shock but at first look my Fox is a worse case.

First shot is of the parts Mike supplied. Welding looks very good and so is his paint job for a prototype. I would prefer powder coat for the long term but his paint job is good enough.

I put the parts on my scale and measured 9.6 pounds.

My first install was solo and it’s a bit of a chore to do alone. I had some fitting difficulties but I'm sure Mike will sort that out by the time these go on sale. My good friend and neighbor Bill (KLR, Airhead, CBR and CB) wandered over to see what was going on (I was using an air wrench for the trial fitting and cussing a bit.) His eyes and hands sure did help.

This picture shows the wire thingy that supports the ends of two hoses. Off it goes, I'll use a nylon tie later.

The next pictures show the "installed" stand but the plates are located a bit off. My problem was the distance between the rear bolts and the front bolt was about 1/8 of an inch too short. This caused a rotation of the forward end of the stand and the three nut clamp plate upwards.

I reduced the OD of the forward bolt (necked down) several times until I could get the stand installed flat to the frame flanges. In the final attempt the forward bolt still has a slight bend in it, but the stand and the three nut clamp plate are flat and parallel to the frame flanges.

The next shots show more of the installation. The legs in the down position rotate quite a bit forward. It takes a pretty good push to get it off the stand. I would reduce this angle to about half of what is there now. Getting on the stand takes some effort too! I used a 2x4 under the rear wheel to easy it up for the first few trials.

The foot step for the stand is a little short for me. I'm a light weight (170) and a little more mechanical advantage would help i.e. a longer foot step. I also had to bend (No problem) the step inward about 1/4 inch to keep it from hitting the side stand when both were in the up position. This may be unique to this bike since I have had to straighten the side stands on several TA's.

I lengthened the step on several Africa Twins for people like me who have had issues getting it up! OK I'm going to get comments from an TA AT rider Inmate from Colorado.

On the stand the bike is a bit wobbly but similar to my Africa Twin. I’ll throw an idea out to Mike that I think can improve the stability of the mount.

I did not ride the bike with the stand on. First, I ran out of time due to a New Honda to join the fleet today. I'm working a proposal at work and more importantly, I bent and straightened the forward bolt 4 or 5 times, plus I necked it down a bunch. I'll fab a new bolt and give it a try later.

Summary, this is a great start for something most of us TA riders curse Honda daily for not installing on the US TA's. We should praise Mike for his efforts to bring a good stand to market for an old bike. Thanks Mike and support your ADV entrepreneurs.

Steve
Old 01-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #246
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Thank you Steve

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to try this on the bike. We tried to tighten up the fit and it is obvious that I closed the distance between the front and rear bolts too much. That will be a simple fix.

It is easy for me to see how tilted the mounting is by where the return position is. The pressdown leg will almost touch the passenger pegs when fully retracted. I also see that I did not install piece on the lower front tee that spaces the stand to make it easier in making the stand sit flat. It would not mattered on that one since the holes were too close.

Feel free to mess with it as long as you would like. I will have another one ready to send to you shortly if you don't mind giving it another try. It looks like the weather should be nice here for a while. I will see if I can get with Dale to test fit it before I send it your way.

Any thoughts you may have on what to do to secure the tubes would be appreciated also.

I would suggest that you don't lift the bike up on the stand unless the fit is good. I have no idea of what damage could result from an improper fit.

Sorry, that it was not better. I figured I would take a chance to see if I could move this along while there is snow on the ground. No worries, with your help we will get it right.

Cigar Mike
Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #247
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

TA Center Stand

Happy to play Mike, It's a great start.

I forgot to shoot a picture from the side with the center stand retracted. I'll get to it later today.

Steve
Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #248
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,979
(waves from the corner)

Please don't forget us poor NX650 owners.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #249
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

TA Center Stand

I agree Brad, I'm a NX650 owner too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey View Post
(waves from the corner)

Please don't forget us poor NX650 owners.

Here are some shots with the center stand in the up position.

Steve
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #250
Solrider
Smiling Politely

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
As soon as the TA and DRZ400 are done the Sherpa is next.

Cigar Mike

Glad I checked back in to this thread!

You can put me down for one for sure.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #251
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Ta

I completed the fix (I hope), for the TA stand. I will ship it to Steve tomorrow.

I still think there will have to be something done to make it easier to get up on the stand. The passenger foot peg being in the way of making the pressdown leg longer is the main problem. I may have to get creative to solve that problem. I am trying to keep it simple. The more creative it gets the more cost.

I have been lazy at getting up to Denver to look at the NX. It would only take about 10 minutes to get what I need. Plus the hour or so talking about motorcycles.

It is all wdeTA's fault that the TA stand did not fit. He does not like riding the bike in single digit temps with a foot of snow and ice.

Cigar Mike
Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #252
drivefastandswerve
Indianapolis

Oddometer: 154
Puke Keep up the GREAT work on the TA stand!

Glad to see this getting closer Mike!

Do you also make a stand for the 1993 Honda XR250L model as well?

- chuck

There really is no such thing as a 5 minute job!

1989 Honda Transalp (Gotta get it dirtier!)
2000 BMW R1100RT (Iron Butt Qualified)
1993 Honda XR250L (Great woods bike)
Misc mini-bikes (71 Honda Z50, 75 Honda XL70, 73 CT70, 79 XR80)
1973 Suzuki TM125 (vintage racer)
1974 Suzuki TM100 (Racer, when it's repaired!)
Misc motorcycle crap from many swapmeets!
drivefastandswerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #253
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefastandswerve View Post
Glad to see this getting closer Mike!

Do you also make a stand for the 1993 Honda XR250L model as well?

- chuck
Steve received another stand today. We will see how this one fits and works.

No, I have not made one for the XR250L. It is the same situation as the NX650 and the XL600. It is simple to adapt a stand for them. I just need to get my hands on a bike for a few minutes. I could most likely make one if I got a tracing of the area I need and a dimension for the height of the stand.

Mike
Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #254
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

Got stand?

Yes I received it yesturday. I'll get it installed late tonight or more likely Sunday and report. I'm still at work today on a proposal effort, but the company in it's great wisdom has scheduled a building wide power outage Sunday, so the whole proposal team gets a day off!!!

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
Steve received another stand today. We will see how this one fits and works.

No, I have not made one for the XR250L. It is the same situation as the NX650 and the XL600. It is simple to adapt a stand for them. I just need to get my hands on a bike for a few minutes. I could most likely make one if I got a tracing of the area I need and a dimension for the height of the stand.

Mike

Menasco Pirate screwed with this post 01-23-2011 at 06:18 PM
Menasco Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #255
Menasco Pirate
Gnarly Adventurer

TA Center Stand test fit #2

I installed the new improved center stand on my 1990 TA today. It fit much better than the last one. Yes it was in the upper 60's here today and the sun was really nice! I spent the whole day outside!

Center Stand Down

Center Stand Up

I had the old one off and the new one installed in only 15 minutes. I now have about 1/8 inch clearance between the front fastener and the frame cross tube. You can see it in the photo below.

A short piece of steel tube slid over the front fastener can fix that. This new stand has a vertical piece of steel welded to the bottom front portion of the stand that contacts the bikes frame cross tube when bolted up. This can also be seen in the photo above. This seems to increase the stability of the stand in the down position by increasing the distance between the frames' reaction points. The first fit check stand I tried did not have this feature.

So I put it up and down a couple times and went for a ride with no problems. Mike it's getting close!

I would still like to have a longer arm on the foot step. It still takes a bit of effort to get it on the stand, but a hell of a lot easier than my unmodified after market Africa Twin stand. I think there is room between the rear foot peg and the swing arm to do this. I may give it a shot if Mike says it's ok to try.

Now we need to see how the stand pivots and the limit stops hold up.

Thanks Mike, The first stand should ship back Monday or Tuesday.

Steve