Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #316
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,656
I'm in for a Sherpa stand when you're ready.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #317
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,440
I Lost your email

Dave in Russelville AR I have misplaced/deleted your email. I have all of your other information. Your stand is ready but I have no way to get in touch with you other than snail mail.

Mike
Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #318
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Mike,

It was a pleasure working with you on the TA stand last week! I very much respect and appreciate your commitment to high quality work and feel that it shows in all of the stands you produce. This iteration of the elusive TransAlp centerstand is mighty close to being finalized, and I look forward to putting it through its paces whenever it's ready for the road.

Thanks for trying to keep all of us inmates happy! (And don't let us wear you down....) Now get out and enjoy some of this fine Colorado spring time!

Stew
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #319
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Mike,

It was a pleasure working with you on the TA stand last week! I very much respect and appreciate your commitment to high quality work and feel that it shows in all of the stands you produce. This iteration of the elusive TransAlp centerstand is mighty close to being finalized, and I look forward to putting it through its paces whenever it's ready for the road.

Thanks for trying to keep all of us inmates happy! (And don't let us wear you down....) Now get out and enjoy some of this fine Colorado spring time!

Stew
Stew,

The pleasure was all mine. Thank you for taking the time to come down and help me fit and test the stand. I should be done with orders this week if no one else decides to buy one. And will make the changes we talked about. I think once the pressdown leg is perfected it will be a good stand.

I enjoy making the stands and I could not ask for a better hobby. Working with motorcycles and the people that ride them is great. It just don't get no better then this.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #320
rod1
Old Australian Bull

Oddometer: 90
I am very impressed with your center stands Mike and wonder if you would consider making something to suit my Honda CRF 230 L 2009 model. The addition of a center stand would make my life much easier now I have started touring on my wee Honda. Rod rod1@iinet.net.au
Attached Images

rod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #321
topgear11
Nomadic Goat Herder

Oddometer: 1
Sherpa Centerstand

You can put me down for a Sherpa stand as well!

Let me know if I could help with measurements and such.

Thanks!
topgear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #322
IRONWHEEL
n00b

Oddometer: 4
DRZ400S Center Stand

Mike,

You can put me down for a DRZ center stand.

Thanks,
IRONWHEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #323
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

The TA stand was much more of a challenge than expected. I need not get the time to get to other models I planned on. But I will keep trying to get to the other models.

I am sorry that it will be a while longer.

Mike
Old 04-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #324
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 223
Mike, I am interested in a DRZ400S centerstand when you get them made. I do all my own servicing and a centerstand is a blessing. Please PM me when they are available.... Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #325
Sportourer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Not trying to be a pest. I was just wondering if the Transalp stand is available yet. I am only asking because it does not say "coming soon" at the bottom of your signiture anymore next to Transalp.
IBA#364
STOC#4028
AMA#372280
Sportourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #326
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportourer View Post
Not trying to be a pest. I was just wondering if the Transalp stand is available yet. I am only asking because it does not say "coming soon" at the bottom of your signiture anymore next to Transalp.
Not just yet. I will try a revised stand on a bike tomorrow. I am hopeful that we have solved most of the issues. I am also working with a fabricator that can laser cut parts for me to make the stand better.

You are not being a pest. Thank you for asking about the TA Stand. I still have a few questions unanswered and I am not yet confident in the design. We used to say in the trade that we never had the time to do it right but always had the time to do it over. I really don't want that to be the case here.

Availability of a bike to test the stand has been the main reason it is taking so long. If not for the help of wdeTa it would not be as close as it is.

Mike
Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #327
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

TA Centerstand

Stew was able to come by today and we fit the stand on his bike. Everything seemed to work out well except for a minor clearance issue with the side stand. I modified the stand a little to provide clearance for the side stand to deploy and retract. I will have to make a minor adjustmant on future stands.

The extended pressdown leg provides good leverage to get the bike on the stand. I would guess that it is about equal difficulty as the other stands I make. Which is a big improvement over previous designns.

We just zip tied the tubes to the front mounting bolt for the center stand. I will see if I can come up with a wire loop to route the tubes. But the ties don't seem to be a porblem to secure the tubes.

Stew is leaving on and extended trip from here to South America and the stand should be of some help on a trip like this. Stew will keep us updated on his use of the stand.

If there is no problems with the fitting of the stand on Dales TA I will start contacting those that are interested, in order that I was contacted or had posted interest in this stand.

Here a few pictures of the stand on Stew's Bike.

Mike
Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #328
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 366
Transalp Stand

Glad to hear and see your hard work is nearing fruition I await your email to send funds.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #329
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Mike,

Thanks again for setting me up with a prototype center stand to test on our journey! We were trying to leave town this weekend, but some outstanding issues (and potential for snow here in Denver) may keep us here til Monday. The good news is in the extra couple days, I will be able to get the ride report started. Centerstand feedback and thoughts will get posted back in this thread. And just 'cause, I will post a link to the ride report here once it's up... Ride Report Link

What I found out yesterday is that with the bike on the centerstand, the rear wheel is not fully unsprung - as the swing arm drops, the shock contacts the top plate leaving the linkage arm under pressure. For tire changes and the like, that is not a problem at all. For removing the rear shock, that is a bit of a hassle. Would it be possible to alter future stands so that the top plate is cut ~3/8" further away from the shock? Honestly, that number is just a WAG since it's difficult for me to tell exactly what clearance is needed, but it doesn't seem like it would be too much. Even so, having the bike on the center stand already made it much easier to support the frame with blocks without having to rock the bike waaaay over to place tall enough blocks under the frame to raise the rear wheel (since I don't have one of those handy floor jacks). Additionally, I didn't try to support the swing arm at just the right height to relieve that pressure, which could be another alternative to make shock removal easier (ya know, smaller hammer).

All in all though Mike, I feel very confident in the centerstand that you have made, am extremely happy with the new leverage that you worked out to lift the bike, and the sidestand clearance is not an issue at all. I owe you a HUGE THANK YOU! for all of your time and hard work in getting this stand closer to production. There are many TA owners that will appreciate your dedication in making this right.

Thanks again, and I will send news from the road.

Stew

csustewy screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 12:31 PM
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #330
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Stew,

I wish we would have noticed that when you were here. It would have been a simple matter to grind off the material to provide more clearance. I will take a close look when we put one on Dale's bike next week and make the needed adjustment.

When you leave, if you are headed South stop by and I will fix it. It should not take long to fix. You know how easy it is to get the stand on and off. I should take less than an hour if you can spare the time.

Mike