Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #496
stnick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Xrl stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Ugg I was just thinking about it being nice to have a center stand for the xr650 so I google searches it and this is all I found... Really? No one makes them? I completly under stand retirement and finally taking a break so I don't blame you at all. I guess I'll have to get creative and try to make my own.
You have no idea how truly lucky you are that cigar mikes stands are no longer available. Ask yourself, why did he really stop mfg and why didnt someone pick up his design and carry fwd? Answer is it was hit or miss on which wheel it would raise! And a list of other reasons.
Seems like 4 strokes. Com xronly etc or a real fabricator would see the money making opportunity and produce a valid product though.
Good luck in your search and keep us updated.
All the best,
Nick
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #497
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
You have no idea how truly lucky you are that cigar mikes stands are no longer available. Ask yourself, why did he really stop mfg and why didnt someone pick up his design and carry fwd? Answer is it was hit or miss on which wheel it would raise! And a list of other reasons.
Seems like 4 strokes. Com xronly etc or a real fabricator would see the money making opportunity and produce a valid product though.
Good luck in your search and keep us updated.
All the best,
Nick
I find this to be news to me. If any customer of mine had a problem with one of my stands I would fix it or refund their money. Customers could return their stands no questions asked if they changed their minds. I do not know what more I could do.

The only issue I have ever had is concerning a resale of a stand to a second party. Even in that case I offered to correct or replace that stand even though I had no obligation to do so. I had stopped making stands at that time and did not have time to fix it in a timely manner.

TCI has indicated they are interested in making many of the stands. I am working to help them fabricate the stands according to their schedule.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #498
LtsGoRyd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I heard nothing but good things about your stand man . I wanted one a while back, but found out about them a little too late...Some folks will just complain about anything because they are unhappy in life and try everything in their power and reach, to make everyone else feel just as crabby as they do. I wonder if any of the people that made statements about not knowing which wheel was going to be lifted off the ground considered these 2 small, but important factors....Is the ground that you parked on level? If you have your bike loaded for adventure, where is the bulk of your gear located? Just sayin....I think it was a great product. He put a lot of thought into the idea, used quality material, had a ton of time invested in it, and he wanted the people that invested in the stand to be completely satisfied with his product(my kinda fabricator/seller ). I say good onya Mike. If it were me...I'd fold my stand up, hit the gas , and roll on my man. You did a good thing joe
LtsGoRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #499
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Answer is it was hit or miss on which wheel it would raise!
I had a CX500 with a factory centerstand. If the rear rack were overloaded, the front wheel would raise when you put it on the centerstand. I see that as a feature. Need to change the front tire? Put it on the stand and strap a couple of 25lb plates to the back.

I have an XRL, so I've heard Cigar Mike's name mentioned many times. But, it's usually about people wishing they could get one of his stands. Never heard a bad thing about him or his product.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #500
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

It looks like at least one company will start making a stand for the L. When I started making them I figured I would only be doing so for four or five years. Patents are a waste of time and I figured someone would start making a similar stand incorporating part of my design. I though that would be a good thing. I even sent a stand to one guy for free because he wanted to make an aluminum model. Nothing ever came of it. I found that the other manufacturers of DS products are good people and would not copy the design because they don't believe it is the right thing to do.

My concern with the stand when I designed it was that first it would stay on the bike. It does not take much to hold the stand on the bottom of the bike or to be able to use the stand to lift a bike. But to survive hits on rocks when riding requires something very solid. If it could come off when riding it could enter the rear wheel and do lots of damage to bike and rider. Because it is on the bike I ride it is important to me that everyone be as safe as I want to be. Second that it functioned properly. I have to give credit to Honda for their consistent quality of their frame builds. There was only one bike that the frame tubes, where the stand attached, was off causing the stand to hit the swing arm. I had some stands that I built incorrectly that rubbed the swing arm. I corrected them and also improved my jig because of that.

I really enjoyed being in the business when I needed it to fill the hours of my day. It kept me from being a couch potato the first few years of retirement. I really enjoyed the interaction with customers. Through some trial an error they helped to make the design better. The patience they showed when something was not correct and in allowing me to fix it was hard to believe. I was building stands for friends not strangers.

I think the biggest problem with some one making the L stand has to do with how it attaches to the bike. It is out of the norm for center stands. Almost all aftermarket stands attach using the footpeg bolts. Since the L has a welded attachment of one peg this cannot be done. People just move on rather than be creative.

I will ask for this thread to be nuked soon. I wanted it open to be able to update status of when someone picked up making stands.

I appreciate the kind words. I hope that TCI finds it worthwhile to start making stands for the L.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #501
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Sold Used XR650L Stand

I actually went into my shop yesterday to do a welding project and I finally found the center stand I removed from my bike. A customer put some special paint on one for me to try out and that is the one on my bike now. I took this one off to install that one. This stand I had on my bike for a couple of years and it worked perfectly.

If someone is interested, send me a PM. $100 plus shipping. I noticed I have the parts to assemble one more new XR650L stand. I will put that together in the next few weeks to get rid of the lose parts. I will post here when it is done.

Stand is spoken for.

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 08:14 AM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #502
XR350R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Honda XR 650 L center stands from South Africa

We are nearly ready to release the Honda XR 650 L center stands - exactly the same as Cigar Mike's ( & with his blessing ) I am just trying to make sure that the quality is as good as his ( I have had one of his on my XR for 3 years now ) as South Africa is in millimeters so it is ' slightly ' thinner material than his that he made in the states ( your steel is in inches I think ) This is a pic of our second one off the press.
Attached Images

XR350R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #503
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR350R View Post
We are nearly ready to release the Honda XR 650 L center stands - exactly the same as Cigar Mike's ( & with his blessing ) I am just trying to make sure that the quality is as good as his ( I have had one of his on my XR for 3 years now ) as South Africa is in millimeters so it is ' slightly ' thinner material than his that he made in the states ( your steel is in inches I think ) This is a pic of our second one off the press.
That looks good to me. Did you powder coat or paint? I am happy for fellow L owners that they will be able to get a stand again.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #504
Appraiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I hope that you are making a lot of them for the inital wave of people who will want them. I know I have been waiting since I got my bike. Please make sure you post here as well as other places when they are ready for purchase.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #505
XR350R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
That looks good to me. Did you powder coat or paint? I am happy for fellow L owners that they will be able to get a stand again.
Hi Mike, we have powder coated them so that they stay ' painted' for a while longer. I ended up cable tying some plastic tube ( split down the middle ) on to the crossbar as this takes the brunt of the stones coming off the front wheel.
XR350R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #506
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR350R View Post
We are nearly ready to release the Honda XR 650 L center stands - exactly the same as Cigar Mike's ( & with his blessing )...
Please tell us you're going to pick up the R&D on the US/CA TransAlp center stand...

http://ConTeacher.whereamiriding.com
ConTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #507
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,459
Ignore the haters...

Mike, you provided a terrific product for many of us XR650L riders and what was mentioned as a failure by ONE person was seen as a feature to me and others. The fact that your stand balanced the bike so closely to the middle meant you could control which wheel was elevated by shifting small amounts of weight forward or back. This made your stand invaluable for on the trail tire/wheel maintenance.

Now if I could just get a center stand like this for my wifes DN01. That low production bike will likely never have such a stand made, unless I make one someday. LOL

Thanks again Mike for all the hard work and excellent spirit of ADV that you have always shown.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #508
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 637
In line..

Please PM me when you begin selling the center stands, Thanks
Haz.
Hazman27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #509
stnick
Adventurer

Make me laugh

@ MCHESTER from Marysville...
You are quite the Cleric being able to tell the world my stand is so finely balanced I can easily determine front or rear off the ground with very little weight... yet you have never communicated with me in any way and you've never seen my bike. Why don't you stick to Cades Cove loops and Dollywood cause you sure as hell don't know what you're mouthing about regarding my POS Cigar Mike Stand. My Jacket, Helmet and Gloves on the front fender wont lift the rear wheel. As for only one bad stand, if you had the bad one you'd be pissed too!
Here is your quote:
"The fact that your stand balanced the bike so closely to the middle meant you could control which wheel was elevated by shifting small amounts of weight forward or back. This made your stand invaluable for on the trail tire/wheel maintenance."
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #510
wkndman
XT250 Burro

Quote:
@ MCHESTER from Marysville...
You are quite the Cleric being able to tell the world my stand is so finely balanced I can easily determine front or rear off the ground with very little weight... yet you have never communicated with me in any way and you've never seen my bike. Why don't you stick to Cades Cove loops and Dollywood cause you sure as hell don't know what you're mouthing about regarding my POS Cigar Mike Stand. My Jacket, Helmet and Gloves on the front fender wont lift the rear wheel. As for only one bad stand, if you had the bad one you'd be pissed too!
Here is your quote:
"The fact that your stand balanced the bike so closely to the middle meant you could control which wheel was elevated by shifting small amounts of weight forward or back. This made your stand invaluable for on the trail tire/wheel maintenance."

STNICK Why don't you sell me your stand for a fair used price, win-win, you get rid of your problem and I'll try to fab it to my XT250. If it doesn't work, it's on me, I'll blame no one, fair?? PM me
wkndman is offline   Reply With Quote