Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #46
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by heilong
. I wonder how much does the stand weigh?

--Gene
The stand weighs about 10 lbs. Fortunately the weight is so low that it is not noticeable when riding. I could probably make it lighter, but I was more concerned that it would be strong and last a long time. The 400 stand is basically the stand that is made for the XR650L which is heavy and needed to be pretty strong to hold up 350 lbs +.

I am working on an idea for a collapsible unit that will work as a center stand for those that would only need it for trail side repairs. It is just a concept right now. I made a stand for the XT225 with this in mind and it is out for testing now. I will need to do some planning for the other bikes and would like to expand that idea to include many more models. I think something that could be carried that provided the stability of a center stand may be a good idea.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 02-22-2010 at 05:44 PM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #47
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

I will check tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d
I shoved this piece of cardboard up under there and traced what I think you need then I sized it to be the exact size as the real measurements , so if you print it out it will be the real size and measurable. Are these the numbers you wanted ?
That may do the trick. I will check it out tomorrow. I did notice from the picture of your bike in another thread that the side stand is level and not tilted upward like on the 400. Would you modify the side stand to have the center stand like the 400? Or would it need to be more like the 650?

I am go to check if I can just modify the stop on the side stand to see if I can get it up higher on the 650. I would like to be able to get the stand higher in the up position like the 400 stand.

Cigar Mike
Old 02-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #48
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
My side stand does angle up like the 400 kinda but not as much as Kawa's. I will take a better pic of my side stand in the morning. It would be easy to modify the stop if I needed it to go higher though.

EDIT:

In last 4 inches of my side stand I got a small bend. I thought it was suppose to be like that but now I am thinking its not.

03 Honda XR250R

r00t4rd3d screwed with this post 02-14-2010 at 11:39 PM
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #49
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

r00t4rd3d,

Looking at the way you have your bike set up. I think I would move the pivot point rearward about 1/2-1" inch. If it was left in the normal position the bike would never sit with the rear wheel off the ground. It takes about thirty pounds to lift the front wheel off the ground. I did this on purpose so that when using soft saddle bags the bike would still sit with the front wheel on the ground. And this also allows the front to be light enough when the front wheel needs to be removed.

That is the nice thing about being a very small fabricator. It is not a big thing to customize a little to meet the needs of a specific owner. It is one of the reasons I like to take orders via email. I am able to ask questions and make adjustments if needed.

Cigar Mike
Old 02-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #50
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
I was just googling for one a month ago. My reasoning is my bike is starting to get heavy cause of my racks and boxes and it sits in the garage for extended periods of time cause of the horrible winters we have here. When I work on my bike I also like it to be straight up and down and with the side stand that dont happen.

I shoved this piece of cardboard up under there and traced what I think you need then I sized it to be the exact size as the real measurements , so if you print it out it will be the real size and measurable. Are these the numbers you wanted ?

I checked on this today. It is not close enough for 400 stand to fit. The upper mount captures the cross braces and locks on. The angle has to be a good match. This keeps the stand from moving out of position forward or backwards and prevents twisting.

The good news is that from your drawing I could probably make one. I would need you to verify the diameter of the cross tubes. They are usually a tad smaller then 5/8".

I will send you a PM.

Cigar Mike
Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #51
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Well I think Ive bribed Mike enough to be his furry little guinea pig and shoot for the center stand for the XR250R. Expect some pics in a couple weeks.

03 Honda XR250R
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #52
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Well I think Ive bribed Mike enough to be his furry little guinea pig and shoot for the center stand for the XR250R. Expect some pics in a couple weeks.

"Bribed" isn't the word I would have used. More like begged.

Cigar Mike
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #53
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

TE610 Center Stands on Hold

Just wanted to let everyone know that the TE610 Center Stand is on hold until I can thoroughly check out the stand. I have a few issues that need to be corrected.

I will update when the stands are ready.

Cigar Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #54
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

I hope this doesnt slow down the production of the 250 stands.

03 Honda XR250R
Old 02-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #55
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
XR650L stand

A friend that has wrenched on Hondas for a long time wondered aloud about the length of the spring, and his concern that it might cause the centerstand to "bounce" during spirited off-raod riding. What are your thoughts, Cigar Mike?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #56
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider
A friend that has wrenched on Hondas for a long time wondered aloud about the length of the spring, and his concern that it might cause the centerstand to "bounce" during spirited off-raod riding. What are your thoughts, Cigar Mike?

Thanks!
The spring on the XR650L I think is an 18lb spring. The length of the spring has little to do with the rating of the spring. A spring with an 18lb rating can be 1" long or 1' long. That does not change the rating. The length has to do with the range of motion or extension that is going to be placed on it. It is similar with compression and extension springs. The lb rating is the amount of force required to extend or compress the spring one inch. The spring I use is set at 1 1/4" extension to load the spring in the up position. This places about 22 1/2 lbs of force to hold up the stand. The spring is that long because the upper spring mount location needed to be a large distance from the pivot point on the center stand. To get the upper mount location above the lower mount of the stand when in the up position. The upper mount had to move rearward and up to gain that difference or offset. Because of this the spring has to stretch a long ways when the stand is down. With out this much length the spring will deform and loose its strength. The spring holds the stand up tight and does not bounce when riding the bike.

Hopefully some of the inmates that are using the stand can give their thoughts. The spring is always a big issue on all of the stands because of the very concerns you mention. I went through a lot of different springs and locations until I got it to where I would put the stand on my bike.

I am having that problem with the Husky stand right now. The spring is strong enough until you stretch it out once putting the stand down. Then it deforms and looses it strength. The ideal set up is like on the side stands. The distance the spring stretches varies little from the up to down position. It maintains a constant amount of force on the spring through the whole range of motion.

Thanks for asking,

Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 02-22-2010 at 05:42 PM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #57
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
I hope this doesnt slow down the production of the 250 stands.

I will start making the upper mount for the 250 tomorrow. I am waiting for Gladly to report on the XR400 stand I sent him today. I will have time to get the first XR250 stand done this week.

I will send you a PM when I am ready to make the legs. I am not sure that you want the legs bent up like the 400. The 250 looks more like the 650 set up. But what ever way you want it is fine with me.

Cigar Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #58
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Im thinking under my side stand like in the pic would be my best bet. Unless you had a 250 to look at and measure I think it would be to much of a guessing game to try and do the angle like the 400.

03 Honda XR250R
Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #59
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
Originally Posted by Sportourer
If you could come up with something for the Honda Transalp I am sure you could sell them like hotcakes. And I would be first in line! The one that is available from SWmoto is not a bolt on. It only fits the european ones that came with tabs and a spring mount from the factory. The north american ones did not have these mounts. If I was close enough I would gladly donate my bike for the prototype.
-Alex

All that I can do is ask the guys in the regional forum if they would let me use theirs for a day or two. And then just finding time to do it.

Cigar Mike
I have an 89 Transalp up in Boulder that I would be happy to let you take measurements, etc. from if you find the time. A center stand would make some tasks much easier than using the little auxiliary jack stand I fabricated a while back.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #60
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Good Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA
I have an 89 Transalp up in Boulder that I would be happy to let you take measurements, etc. from if you find the time. A center stand would make some tasks much easier than using the little auxiliary jack stand I fabricated a while back.
I will take a look at the frame in the parts fiche to get an idea of what it might take.

I have a couple of projects to get done before I can get to the Transalp. One of which is the "honey do" type and must be done. I will send you a PM when it looks like I can fit it in.

Thanks for the offer of the bike.

Cigar Mike