Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #91
sled_rider
DESERT ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 113
Mike you are a standup guy and the centerstand I have from you is tops. I am enjoying mine and I again want to THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Take care.
sled_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #92
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
What year TTR230? You may have the year that has the same frame as the XT225. If so the XT225 stand should work. I have yet to look at the CRF230 but it is on the list of requests.
The weather is warming up and interest will probably increase. I wonder if I will make someone mad because I have gone riding.
Cigar Mike
TTR230: 2007; CRF230: probably 2005.
And you're not "going riding", you're conducting "field trials" and "product reviews"....
Old 03-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #93
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,341
I wish I would have thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis
TTR230: 2007; CRF230: probably 2005.
And you're not "going riding", you're conducting "field trials" and "product reviews"....
Yeah, yeah that's the ticket.

The TTR230 is the newer model and does not share the XT225 frame from eariler. I think the change was after 2005. Both of your bikes are probably street legal down under?

sled_rider,

I am glad that the stand is working out for you.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike
Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #94
moventurer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
You’re welcome.

Adventure riders are a unique group of riders. They are involved in all types of riding from hard core single track to adventure rides that are mainly pavement. They very often use a bike for a purpose that was not intended by the manufacturer. If the bike does not fit, they make it fit. This is how the center stand for our DS bikes came about. I wanted a center stand on our bikes so that I could change to a different set of wheels (street tires) easily and fix flats when out on the bikes. When we are hundred miles from nowhere the center stand is welcome for getting the flat fixed and moving again.

When I posted about the stands that I had made for our bikes I was asked if I would make them available. Since I was retiring it seemed like a good idea so that I could keep busy doing something I enjoy. Other models were made available upon request. I don’t market the stands trying to convince someone that they need what I make. I could care less if I ever sell another center stand, other then I will have to find something else to do to keep me busy. So if someone says to me “no sale”. Who asked you to buy anything? I build what I am asked to build. I don’t ask anyone to buy what I build. If you want one, fine. If not, fine. I let it be known that they are available and for how much and I stand behind what I make.

Overall it has been a good experience making and selling the stands. The people that I am in contact with have been great. There have been some problems but it always seems to work out with the help of the riders. I would have probably quit a long time ago if this was not the case. But the riders that I have come in contact with have made it a worthwhile endeavor.

I have no idea how long I will continue to do this. If it becomes a job instead of a hobby, I will stop. If the time it takes interferes with the time I need to spend with my family, I will stop. And obviously if there is no longer any demand, I will stop. If there is too much demand, I will stop. This is a hobby that had to be a business for legal and tax concerns. I do not make a living from this and don’t need the money to survive.

Cigar Mike
Fair enough.

The only reason I posted my concern is because I WANT to buy your product. Now that you mention it, a retaining device is a great idea, for those riders that hit the rough trail. Why am I out of line for suggesting such a thing? And who better to provide a retaining device, other than the guy that designs such awesome center stands? Am I asking too much? I'll pay extra for the stand if it comes with a retaining device!

Jeez!!
moventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #95
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by moventurer
Fair enough.

The only reason I posted my concern is because I WANT to buy your product. Now that you mention it, a retaining device is a great idea, for those riders that hit the rough trail. Why am I out of line for suggesting such a thing? And who better to provide a retaining device, other than the guy that designs such awesome center stands? Am I asking too much? I'll pay extra for the stand if it comes with a retaining device!

Jeez!!
I don't think you are out of line to ask a question. I guess the "no sale" comment hit me the wrong way. If you want to help me figure out something that may work that will address your concerns, I am willing. You know more about the riding you do and what would or would not be a hassle in securing the stand. I mentioned one idea but it may not be the best one. I learned a long time ago that I don't know everything. I also learned that anyone can have a good idea. And I learned to listen to them, it might be a good one. The idea being that you have something that you are happy with.

I may be getting a little grumpy in my old age. Thanks for the kind words about the stands.

Send me a PM or email to cigarmikes@gmail.com if you would like to figure something out. I don't even know what bike we are talking about. It may make a difference in the best way to do this.

Cigar Mike
Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #96
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
Here is a video of me jumping off the side of the road , its about a three foot drop.

03 Honda XR250R
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #97
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Te610

I got word back today on the SM model stand. With this stand I changed several things that were not quite right. Different spring (longer) With relocated mounts. I will add a bolt to be shipped with the stand for making the upper spring connection. It appears that this would be best for all of the TE610s whether they have the upper mount on the bike or not.

Here is the report I received.

Hi Mike,

It was a bear getting the stand mounted with the return spring. Works well in the up position, no bouncing of the stand.

With the stand in the up position, there is more clearance on right side leg and the swingarm.
The return spring does touch the rear brake clevis joint. (he did not use the longer bolt provided)
There is no clearance issues with the side and center stand in the up position
The center stand leverage arm does tuck behind the rear footpeg mount.

With the stand in the down position, the bike is rock solid. The balance is perfect. With 5lbs on the rear seat the front wheels lifts off the ground.
The spring does touch the stand in the down position.

Overall, I would rate it 7 out of 10. Very good.

I need to still check a few things for the TE since the stand is longer and the SM had a lowering link on it. This may affect the clearance at the lower spring mount and the swing arm. I do have some pictures and will post them when I get the rest.

I hope to check everything this week. They should be available again soon.

Cigar Mike
Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #98
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

SM610 Center Stand

Pictures and Bike-Richard N. Torrance, California

This is where longer bolt should be used. I include a longer bolt with a nut so that the spring is moved a little more inward.

So that the spring will not touch the clevis.

I will have to make an adjustment here for a non lowered bike. I think the swing arm would touch. I was trying to prevent...

this. But here is not enough room and will probably will be a bit more so that the swing arm won't touch the the spring mount in the up position.

Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 03-18-2010 at 12:08 AM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #99
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #100
diesel1959
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
I don't think you are out of line to ask a question. I guess the "no sale" comment hit me the wrong way. If you want to help me figure out something that may work that will address your concerns, I am willing. You know more about the riding you do and what would or would not be a hassle in securing the stand. I mentioned one idea but it may not be the best one. I learned a long time ago that I don't know everything. I also learned that anyone can have a good idea. And I learned to listen to them, it might be a good one. The idea being that you have something that you are happy with.

I may be getting a little grumpy in my old age. Thanks for the kind words about the stands.

Send me a PM or email to cigarmikes@gmail.com if you would like to figure something out. I don't even know what bike we are talking about. It may make a difference in the best way to do this.

Cigar Mike
Mike, don't fret it--I had the same reaction to the "no sale" comment. Some folks just don't get that you're in this for the fun and not for the business growth, etc. Hang in there, and I'm still praying for the time when you can work on a Super Sherpa center stand!

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #101
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

TE610 Stand

I went over to Mountain Eagle's and test fit a couple of center stands. Solved most of the problems with the stand. The new spring works better but there is still a adjustment needed for clearance. That looks like that will be easy to fix.

I still don't like the stop for the up position. It works fine after it is up and rides fine. But the hit from the spring on the rubber stop does allow the stand to hit the lower chain roller bracket. If the stand is not restrained manually when the bike is taken off the stand I am afraid it could do damage to the bracket over time. It would not be a problem for me since even on my bike I manually return the stand to the up position. Mtne made a couple of suggestions on how to solve this and I will be working on those this week.

Other then that it appears the stand is very close to being ready.

Thanks for your help Mountain Eagle, it is appreciated.

Cigar Mike
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #102
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

TE610 Stand

I think it is right now. Hopefully one more test fitting will prove this to be so.

Cigar Mike
Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #103
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Final Check

Checked the TE610 stand this evening and it works well. The spring is going to make contact with the stand when down but will work good. Good tension in the up position.

I will start making stands to fill orders that are waiting tomorrow. They should be available next week.

Cigar Mike
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #104
xrbeast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey Mike,
I just received the XR250R stand. I loved the way it fits but unfortunately, i think my bike is kinda short (japanese Baja model) and i was exhausted when i finally brought the bike up on stand.. a good 4 inches off the ground at the rear. no wonder i was exhausted. No biggy, a visit to a workshop to shorten it will do the trick.
Overall, i still like the stand..

A satisfied customer from the little dot - Singapore
xrbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #105
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrbeast
Hey Mike,
I just received the XR250R stand. I loved the way it fits but unfortunately, i think my bike is kinda short (japanese Baja model) and i was exhausted when i finally brought the bike up on stand.. a good 4 inches off the ground at the rear. no wonder i was exhausted. No biggy, a visit to a workshop to shorten it will do the trick.
Overall, i still like the stand..

A satisfied customer from the little dot - Singapore
Be careful when you shorten the stand. I suggest with the bike on the stand, place a 1" thick piece of material under the front tire and rear tire and see how much clearance there is at the rear. Because of the fulcrum 1/2" shorter will make about 1" or more difference in rear wheel ground clearance. Not cutting off to much will make your life much easier. By placing thicker or thinner boards under both wheels you will be able to determine how much to shorten the legs. You can even test how much difference there will be in getting the bike on the stand by rolling the bike up on the boards front a rear and then lifting the bike. This should indicate to you how much easier it will be to get the bike up on the stand.

Getting the bike up on the stand may be more a matter of technique though rather then height. There are several videos on line showing how to get different bikes on a center stand. I built many stands with 3 1/2" of ground clearance so that on soft ground the rear wheel would still be off the ground. While it is a little harder to get the bike up on the stand I never had much more of a problem getting it up on the stand. But like you others have, so I reduced the ground clearance. The difference in the length of the legs between the tall and standard is 1/2" in length. Placing as much weight as possible on the press down leg makes a big difference. One hand on the handle bars and one at the frame near the air box (or lower) to lift and pull back as you press down on the leg should make it go up pretty easily.

I would guess that with the taller stand that you can rock the bike back on the rear wheel and it will stay there keeping the front wheel off the ground. I liked this but most would rather it be shorter to make it a little easier to get on the stand.

It probably would have been smart to have you check the dimension before I shipped it to your part of the world. I will do this in the future.

Sorry that it is not just right for your bike. Let me know what I can do. Cigar Mike's policies are shown at my site.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike