Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #181
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH
Yep. The caliper paint I've used isn't even particularly resistant to basic solvents, turps, metho etc. Never mind brake fluid.
The best caliper paint I've ever used is from Eastwood. I've done many calipers on cars with it and it's lasted for years. And unlike others I tried including Por 15's, it's never faded.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #182
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King
The best caliper paint I've ever used is from Eastwood. I've done many calipers on cars with it and it's lasted for years. And unlike others I tried including Por 15's, it's never faded.
Did you use the gray $20 kit or one of the colors for $40?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #183
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Always colors, red, silver, black, etc.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #184
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,854
Started some sub assembly this past weekend (pics to come.) Basically I finished the master cylinder (I hope) and strapped it to the frame. Then I laid out the wire harness, fed it through the sub-frame after bolting that on as well. Mounted the coils, rear brake sensor and a few other bits that wouldn't get in the way when I drop the engine in.

Question 1- is there anything I need to know about putting the triple tree back on besides packing the bearings in grease? The bottom bearing (new) has been pressed back on so is it just a slide into the frame, drop the top bearing in and tighten down the top clamp/nut deal?

Question 2 - Can anyone provide a clear picture of the wire harness routing through that big rubber mount near/under the MC. I want to get the placement right.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but there will be more questions along the way that I may need answered as I assemble it all in one weekend haha!

Cheers!
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #185
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,748
The steering head bearings need to be adjusted to the proper pre-load, and I don't see how that can be done till the front end is together - wheel and all.

Don't know if that's your question - but if it is, it's really pretty simple:

The exact tension on the bearings is achieved when the forks (heading straight ahead) will slowly drop to the stop each direction. The best time to adjust is before wiring and cables are attached.

With wiring and cables, the front end usually drops different to one side than the other; you just don't want it to be totally free and drop like a rock, or be notchy or sticky and not go all the way. With it complete, you'll have to temper your readings in consideration of the cable and wiring interference.

Another fine point (but important) is the orientation of the notched nut that fits under the top triple tree. One side is flat, the other angled. Unlike common sense would dicate, the flat side goes up.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #186
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Huge update:

Tons of parts ordered and received this week.
-Toaster tan top brace (received)
-Boyer microdigital electronic ignition (received)
-Fender set (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160435473028)
-Front caliper seal kit (received)
-Various other odds and ends.
-Very, very good condition center stand

I'm super stoked on the fender set because I really like the front fender flare. Does anyone know if it is really a police fender?
The front caliper was striped, painted (with caliper paint) and resealed, so that's ready to go. I'll have pics of all the parts later tonight perhaps.

Basically everything on my end is done and ready for final assembly but I'm STILL waiting on my guy to finish with my engine, re-lacing my wheels and rebuilding the transmission. It's actually getting to the "making me anxious and stressed" point because I need this bike fully built and running by mid June. I have to get a couple months and miles in on it before my trip to the grand canyon and salt flats with it in late August.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2

blaine.hale screwed with this post 05-28-2010 at 08:55 AM
Old 05-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #187
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
Huge update:

Tons of parts ordered and received this week.
-Toaster tan top brace (received)
-Boyer microdigital electronic ignition (received)
-Fender set (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160435473028)
-Front caliper seal kit (received)
-Various other odds and ends.
-Very, very good condition center stand

I'm super stoked on the fender set because I really like the front fender flare. Does anyone know if it is really a police fender?
The front caliper was striped, painted (with caliper paint) and resealed, so that's ready to go. I'll have pics of all the parts later tonight perhaps.

Basically everything on my end is done and ready for final assembly but I'm STILL waiting on my guy to finish with my engine, re-lacing my wheels and rebuilding the transmission. It's actually getting to the "making my anxious and stressed" point because I need this bike fully built and running by mid June. I have to get a couple months and miles in on it before my trip to the grand canyon and salt flats with it in late August.

That's a really cool front fender, but not like the police fender at all.
It's also not a Vetter rainy day fender, justin case someone suggests it.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #188
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
Basically everything on my end is done and ready for final assembly but I'm STILL waiting on my guy to finish with my engine, re-lacing my wheels and rebuilding the transmission. It's actually getting to the "making me anxious and stressed" point because I need this bike fully built and running by mid June. I have to get a couple months and miles in on it before my trip to the grand canyon and salt flats with it in late August.
Cool.

What're you having done to the engine?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #189
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pic time:

Boyer Ignition

Rebuild/painted caliper

Speedo

Toastertan Brace

Bottom

Fenders (love the flare on the front!)

Came with a vintage Cali plate
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
Old 05-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #190
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Cool.

What're you having done to the engine?

Engine is being media blasted, full reseal, top end rebuilt (new valves and seats.) Wheels are being re-laced with stainless steel spokes, and new bearings pressed. Transmission is being rebuilt to better then stock and media blasted. Final drive got the spline replaced and media blasted. (All of this is being outsourced to one guy.)

I'm waiting on all of the above to be finished so I can do final assembly and get riding!
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
Old 05-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #191
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,361
Is that a Flanders "elephant ear" fender?

That 'stache needs a brace.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #192
ontic

Oddometer: 1,038
Great thread,
I just found it last night.
Though yours will put mine to shame, I've got a 74 R90/6.
Progressive springs front, Koni's rear. Dyna leccy ignition (I think). Later non-kick 5 speed tranny, twin cast iron discs front, and pretty much standard for everything else. Oh yeah, Halcyon bar end mirrors of course- very happy with those.
Don't mind the bling header guards, they are just hiding a wealth of sins on those headers- I need to find a new stainless set- or repair/lengthen a current spare set that someone shortened.

I like that toastertan top brace a lot.
As I have a spare R90/6 in parts I am planning to build into a sort of GS type thing, I've been looking into making a custom lower triple clamp to fit a dirt bike front end- got a friend with access to all the CNC type stuff to make it. Now I want to make something like the toastertan for this current bike

That front guard is going to look awesome.

btw- you keep mentioning 'media blasting' for how your engine parts are getting cleaned up. Do you know what type of media is being used? Losta different options, and something I will most likely be doing on the spare bike build, so I am interested to know what media is being used for yours.

Cheers,
looking forward to the updates.

ontic screwed with this post 05-30-2010 at 06:14 AM
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #193
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's a great looking r90! I really want to do the dual disk set up but I'm saving that for next year. Better jump on getting a Toastertan because he just did his LAST production of them and they are amazing pieces. I hear they're one of the best handling upgrades you can get for the /6...and they're just beautiful (I love CNC milled aluminum.)

As far as the media blasting, I am ashamed that I haven't asked what he's using but I assume it's soda blasting or something with an abrasion that doesn't ruin the casting. I heard him mention walnut shells at one point if that's any help haha.
I'd recommend soda or hydro blasting if you are going to get any of your engine parts blasted as it just rinses right off, doesn't tear up the pours in the cast aluminum and is biodegradable. Bead blasting is always nice but I hear it can get into the engine and screw things up super quick. I'd never recommend sand blasting on cast parts, only steel like your frame.

I'm not sure what fender it is. I just saw it on ebay, the paint was decent and I loved the flare on the front fender (and it was cheap.) The fenders I had before had holes drilled in them and used to be blue, but the previous owner rattle canned them black.

Oh and the mustache is gone. Mustache may has ended. I kind of miss having euro bars on my upper lip *sigh
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #194
ontic

Oddometer: 1,038
Mustache May heh?
We've got Movember.

Thanks- she loves the compliments.

The dual disc is good. Well recommended. The PO did mine, and all it took to get it to actually work was a brake system clean up and some new pads. Was atrocious when I first got it. It now works a hell of a lot better than my mates R75/7 single disc set up. Stopping is fun
Still got the undertank master cylinder but one with a dual outlet. Braided lines. Not sure where these slotted cast iron discs came from yet.
To me it works completely sufficiently now. No longer scary.

Toastertan on the last run for /6? Bugger. I might have to shoot an email and see how long stocks are likely to last. I don't have much left in the bike kitty at the moment.
I wonder- if he is not making them anymore, if he would be willing to part with the CAD file I've got a mate (with the 75/7) who looks after a local university technical workshop- CNC routers and everything else... hehe... otherwise we'll just have to design one ourselves...
It is a very nice peice.

and about the blasting- yeah, soda or something like walnut was what I was guessing at for yours- moreso walnut maybe as the soda blasting I've seen looks a little different? I don't know, let us know when you find out. It looks good.

Cheers,
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #195
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Before:

All finished:

1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2