Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 12:22 PM   #46
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
I sure wish I'd been smart enough in my twenties to get an airhead. But at that time I didn't have that kind of cash, since they were new. I'd have gotten an old one from the fifties or sixties ... how my life would have been different.

There was a BMW bike ad in the 60s that went something like: We want you to try BRAND X before getting a BMW so you can appreciate what cool bikes these are.

So I did that, and by the early 90s was ready to forget about bikes, when what do you know? A 1976 R90/6 shows up in my life.

yabbut, Terry, don't you have like 30 airheads now?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #47
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,013
Naw, not that many - some parts bikes and projects, and a couple of totalled R11Ss - one of which I rebuilt and rode till totalling it again running into an elk. My only real bike wreck, and the only time I've trashed a bike.

But I did need to build a good sized shed to clear out the garage so some work can get done in there. I've had a bike lift for a couple years now but it's only been a storage place for one of the projects.

Part of the plan was to fix them up and sell, but too often I'd fall in love with the dumb things and kept them. Then another would come along and I'd work on it to straighten everything out and fall in love yet again. It's horrible. And then this recession thing happened which resulted in a buyer's market, and since I wasn't absolutely forced to sell anything, I didn't.

I've sold other bikes along the way - the 100GS project and the really cool black R65 (miss that one) in the last year - but on the whole, these things aren't easy to make money on. I've had the 90/6 for close to nineteen years now and fifteen years ago I figured it was worth $3500 to $4k with all I'd done to it. I offered it up a few times when I needed the cash, but no one grabbed it, so here it is - finally worth on the market what it was worth to me fifteen years ago. Pretty funny, huh?

Some guys are able to make money buying and selling these things, but it sure doesn't seem possible to me. And I'm not willing to part out good ones which seems to be another good way to make money. But I think they are one of the better deals in a truely rideable classic.

I've given a lot of thought to the question - if you could keep only one bike, what would it be? I used to have only one bike till twenty years ago and usually it was a road bike or dual sport. But any more I don't think I could stand to have less than five - one for winter, another for summer, touring, dual sport, hot rod, and a classic.

But the problem with me is that when I like something it's like the neighborhood cat lady - they just show up. Show them love and they will come. Maybe I should be more surly.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #48
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,276
I really love the small tank /6s.

Yours is a beauty. You going to give it some cosmetic resto along the way?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #49
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
get your bike done so you can join the non medicare crowd at the spring fling. drummer, if you need a stop on the way you've got one in nashville.

I love you guys.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #50
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
I really love the small tank /6s.

Yours is a beauty. You going to give it some cosmetic resto along the way?
I'm actually tossing the small tank. I ordered the large touring (stock) tank from fleabay in fantastic condition. As far as cosmetics, the fenders will be re-painted stock as well as the side covers. New spokes on the wheels, all cast aluminum bead blasted, brand new seat etc.
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #51
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,739
Tossing?......

Need a vector for which way to toss it?????
Old 01-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #52
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
Tossing to his shelf, me thinks
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #53
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
Tossing to his shelf, me thinks
That's correct. Because of the (I assume) what (ethenyl?) they changed in the gas this year, it's been eating at the lining of the tank hard core so the stock liner is coming off in huge peels. Also I'm not a fan of the small tank. I might save it for a later cafe project or if anyone wants it here, I could sell it.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #54
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,567
I've got 2 small tanks on the shelf. I like the looks, too, but I also like getting 50 more miles out of a tank.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #55
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
That's correct. Because of the (I assume) what (ethenyl?) they changed in the gas this year, it's been eating at the lining of the tank hard core so the stock liner is coming off in huge peels. Also I'm not a fan of the small tank. I might save it for a later cafe project or if anyone wants it here, I could sell it.
This is normal just due to age. As long as there is no serious rust, you can clean and flush the tank and it'll be fine. Fresh gas in a bike that gets ridden will not harbor any residual water in the bottom and will be just fine.

If you decide to re-coat, do NOT use KREEM. I'm one of many that speaks from experience on this. POR-15 and a couple others are superior products.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #56
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
This is normal just due to age. As long as there is no serious rust, you can clean and flush the tank and it'll be fine. Fresh gas in a bike that gets ridden will not harbor any residual water in the bottom and will be just fine.

If you decide to re-coat, do NOT use KREEM. I'm one of many that speaks from experience on this. POR-15 and a couple others are superior products.
I realize this, but there actually has been a change in the gas. Talking to the Apex cycle guy, he has seen an influx in linings coming off this year due to the gas. Prior to this year, the tank was just fine, after I bought it and actually put gas and miles in/on it, the lining started to dissolve rapidly.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #57
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quick update:
Frame work is almost done. Wes called and said he re threaded and straightened my center stand mounts, pulled the VIN, bearings, etc and it was being blasted today for powdercoat.
Next step is to bring him all cast parts where he will blast the engine, valve job, re lace the wheels etc.

March is the planned month for rebuild
Need to order a charging system, electronic ignition, seat, ohlin rear shocks and a few rubber bits/odds and ends.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #58
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
I can't wait to see your bike in April at the Fling. I visited Apex Cycle one weekend. Rode down there with some friends, and they knew the guy that ownes it. Very Nice Place, and nice property.
Good Luck with your resto, and post pics when you can.

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #59
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
I realize this, but there actually has been a change in the gas. Talking to the Apex cycle guy, he has seen an influx in linings coming off this year due to the gas. Prior to this year, the tank was just fine, after I bought it and actually put gas and miles in/on it, the lining started to dissolve rapidly.
Yup, gas certainly has changed. Some of those 80's and prior coatings have had a life of leaded gas, unleaded gas, and now ethanol gas.
Regardless, keep it flushed and ridden and don't let moisture buildup and just bare metal will still be happy as long as it has petrol in it.

i suspect some level of oxidation occurs when tanks sit dry for a period of time and then when re-exposed to petrol, the lining peels. No biggy. Keep the petcocks clean and keep riding.

Wish i was making as much headway on my proj as you are on yours.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #60
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,424
Here is a link to caswell tank sealer, its great stuff and alcohol fuel has no effect on it, folks swear by it, i have used it and like it too.

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Here is a link to Bill Hirsch, i have used it too, at first i did not know if it would be as good but now i think it probably is, and its the only one that is certified for aircraft use.

http://www.hirschauto.com/products.asp?dept=4
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote