Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #91
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by word1
Would you be so kind as to measure the free length of your new springs?
And maybe post a pic of 'em unwrapped?

I have my RS up on the rack right now to investigate fork springs. I have two different types of springs, and honestly don't know for certain which is which.

BTW, this happens when you've owned a machine for 27 years.

My service manual says that the RS springs should measure 543mm (21.38") and all other /7 springs should measure 567mm (22.32").

The set that aren't in the machine right now are clearly 'progressively wound' and measure 525mm - but measure 545mm with the spacer I have zip-tied to 'em.

Nice work on your resto, btw

_jay
21 7/8" is the measurement I got.

blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #92
jedcaum
Lucky, Lucky Bastard

Oddometer: 377
Completely off topic...

Great thread. Nice bike. Fun scoot.

What are you using to take your pics? Equipment and general technique is what I'm interested in. Love the depth of field with just a bit in focus and the rest tapering off, and I feel like I should know that it's aperture or something...

But I don't. Help a frustrated snapper out, would you? And keep up the great work, mechanical and shutter.
jedcaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #93
word1
I'm working on it...

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
21 7/8" is the measurement I got.
Thanks! Nice depth of field demonstration in the spring shot!

I'm finding all this very interesting:

21 7/8" == 21.875" == 555mm which is sorta in between what my manual indicates for pre '81 /7's.
In '81 the switch to Brembo calipers brought a new fork slider and (apparently) a different length spring; spec'ed at 540~551mm.

And of course /6's could be totally different.

Note that I'm not suggesting anything - I'm just gathering data.

Progressive's web site seems to indicate a 11-1101 for almost all road-based airheads ('cept R65).
Maybe they suggest different spacers for different models?
Did your springs come with spacers?

And FWIW, I agree with Bigger Al's suggestion for a "real" upper triple clamp.

_jay
If it breaks, Repair it.
Repeat.
word1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #94
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedcaum
Great thread. Nice bike. Fun scoot.

What are you using to take your pics? Equipment and general technique is what I'm interested in. Love the depth of field with just a bit in focus and the rest tapering off, and I feel like I should know that it's aperture or something...

But I don't. Help a frustrated snapper out, would you? And keep up the great work, mechanical and shutter.
For the time lapse I shot with a Nikon d80 (can't remember which lens.) For the last few photos I just grabbed a d50 with a Nikkor 24-120mm lens (not ideal for the psuedo macro shots I was doing but does produce a nice depth of field.) I think I shot at 400 ISO.
Anyways, I do plan on getting that top triple tree clamp. What kind of added handling comfort does it provide? My r90 already acted like it was on rails and almost put me to sleep on the interstate with how easy and calm it handled.
Also, the springs didn't have a space but the guy I bought my spring retainer top bolts from gave me some, think I should use them maybe?

(I'm not a fan of these photos because it was actually light outside but I'm trying to document my parts.)

The new tank:

The spring spacers:

The dirty forks I get to clean and rebuild easter weekend for my final build prep work:

Oh and that spring photo above is so horribly out of focus that it is painful to me. I'll have to pick another one that turned out better haha.
Thanks for the kind words guys, I like my hobbies
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #95
word1
I'm working on it...

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
Anyways, I do plan on getting that top triple tree clamp. What kind of added handling comfort does it provide? My r90 already acted like it was on rails and almost put me to sleep on the interstate with how easy and calm it handled...

Also, the springs didn't have a space but the guy I bought my spring retainer top bolts from gave me some, think I should use them maybe...?

The spring spacers...

Oh and that spring photo above is so horribly out of focus that it is painful to me.
I've had Airheads with, and without, an aftermarket upper triple clamp and the difference/advantage is one of steering accuracy and response. It seems to stiffen the entire fork assembly, much like the way a fork brace does. Very noticeable when riding twisties.
They also seem to keep the fork in alignment. Ever read one of those threads about procedures to follow when re-assembling your front fork? I've found that the ease of inserting the axle thru the forks (no wheel installed) is a good indication of the alignment - when the axle just slips in, things aren't far wrong.

I'm not sure what to suggest about the spacers in your situation... I would compare the length of your old vs. new springs. You might need to try 'em with and without, and see which is preferable.
Most of the progressives I've used were shorter than OEM springs and the spacer appears to be used to ensure that the spring contacts the retainer when assembled. In addition to being shorter, I'm also convinced they have a overall stiffer spring rate.
In my case, when the spacer isn't used, that 20mm becomes additional static sag when the machine is pushed off the centerstand.

I've never taken sag measurements on my RS before, and that is the objective of my current project. My RS has way too much sag with the (sacked) OEM springs, so I will try my progressives with and without the spacer and see how it affects the sag and overall behavior.

Your spring retainers/top bolts are threaded on the inside to accept the chrome cap, and they are NLA. So hang on 'em!

Yah, your spring photo was outa focus, but it was accurate enough for me to tell which was which!

BTW, I like the new tank!

_jay
If it breaks, Repair it.
Repeat.
word1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #96
McHaven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Cool time lapse video. I'm also a young guy on an airhead, and I'm also repairing an R90/6 as well. Picked up a project to fix up for my girlfriend. I'm not doing a total restore like you are though. I'm not making it pretty, when there's still a chance she'll drop it. Anyway, I think I win the young airhead contest (20, haha)
McHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #97
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHaven
Cool time lapse video. I'm also a young guy on an airhead, and I'm also repairing an R90/6 as well. Picked up a project to fix up for my girlfriend. I'm not doing a total restore like you are though. I'm not making it pretty, when there's still a chance she'll drop it. Anyway, I think I win the young airhead contest (20, haha)
I was 18 (in 2004) when I got my R75/6.

But, you might be the current youngest "Hey, watch me break things on an R90/6" club member.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #98
McHaven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude

But, you might be the current youngest "Hey, watch me break things on an R90/6" club member.
Only thing I've broken so far was the diode board. I uh...kind of dropped it... I think it needed replacing anyway!
McHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #99
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude

When Tina and I started riding on an airhead together, I was 19 and she was 17. It was 1978.

32 years later, we're still at it and still have an airhead.

We liked it because it was cheap and we could go camping for a weekend for almost no money.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #100
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just emailed about getting that top triple tree brace
Do you guys have any better recommendations then the Boyer electronic ignition for my ignition unit? Keep in mind I'm going to be running the enduralast charging system.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #101
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
I'm sure you saw this but here it is anyways:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564062

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #102
bOLTcOLT
I'm into vagabondage

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
We liked it because it was cheap and we could go camping for a weekend for almost no money.
That's EXACTLY what my wife and I are going to do to! 'cept up here in the Boston/New England area.

Blaine good luck on the rebuild...I just bought a '75 R90/6 and am doing all my own work as well. Not quite as much as you but you learn as you go, right?
bOLTcOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #103
Bloo
Jack Russel Dodger

Oddometer: 97
I love these threads. It's been helpful to hear about different places to get work done in Georgia. Thats going to be an awesome bike.
Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #104
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo
I love these threads. It's been helpful to hear about different places to get work done in Georgia. Thats going to be an awesome bike.
I can tell you from experience that Wes from Apex Cycle up in Ellijay will be your best resource for everything you need done. He's an amazing dude, suuuper knowledgeable and great labor prices. I will continue to take any work I can't do myself to him.
For sourcing parts I recommend giving Matt with Boxerworks a call. Some people may not carry the same feeling but Matt's a great guy that I talked to daily and I've personally been to his place and have seen all of his parts and bought several from him.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #105
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey does anyone have a quick online tutorial/picture guide on rebuilding /6 forks.
I'm in my dad's shop for the weekend and forgot to bring my trusty hayne's manual. I can probably figure it out but I just want to make sure everything is going where it should.

Thanks!