Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
4 Day of Dirt - Breakin' in the new F800GS!

To my ridin' buddies,
Yes ~ I know this post is "WAY late and a few dollars short" but my first post nonetheless ~ So, enjoy and comment away!

To all ADVRiders,
A brief intro from me and then onto my post ~ Yes, I'm new here on ADVrider but I'm a lifetime rider (dirt, street, track, etc.) and I'm still "kickin it" at the right ole age of 41. As for my user name, I picked "DirtBound4Max" more as a creedo or solidification of the promise I made my son Max ~ that promise being this............slow the hell down and make sure you're around to teach him how to ride". Having been a serious pavement trasher (crotch rockets, choppers etc.) for the past 25 years, getting back to my roots in dirtbiking has been an eye opening experience. Needless to say, the new "Bar-Mounted GPS" makes the adventure portion a lot more palatable. Having been lost in more than a few countries (Mexico being the worst), I can tell you that a GPS will get you back on track WAY FASTER than some broken Spanish and few hundred pesos (bad news story right there!!!!).

ANYWAY, thanks to everyone down at the BMW shop for getting me hooked up with my new F800GS! I absolutely love it and here are a few pictures to document it's first real trip........................

Insert # 1 - Our Proposed Route ("proposed" as in "before reality kicked in"). I was using google maps to do this so it would only mark the route to the nearest "improved" road so bare with me here ~ the actual route was designed to keep us in the dirt throughout most of the trip. In most cases, the dirt roads or trails came very close to paralleling the routes shown on the map (deviation of plus or minus 20 Miles). Long story short, the trip was designed to take us from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park via Quray and Crested Butte (over Marshall Pass, Engineer Pass, Schofield Pass, Haggerman Pass, etc., etc..). All total, it would have ended up being somewhere in the tune of about 755 Miles with about 675 miles of that being in the dirt. Not too shabby for the 800's first trip out!

Well, after having tried the upload the rest of my photos using the "upload" button, I guess the photos don't fall within the magical 146KB size limit ~ any suggestions on the best way to scale them down????????????

In the mean time ~ Dan (djaubs) oh buddy oh pal, can you help me out with a few photos???? Thanks Bud!

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 01-20-2010 at 06:59 PM
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbound4Max
Well, after having tried the "upload" button several times, I guess the photos don't fall under the magic 146KB size limit ~ any suggestions on the best way to scale them down????????????
You'll have to host the images somewhere else, then link to them using image tags.
Like this: [img]...Image URL goes here...[/img]

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Hootow ~ Thanks for the advice on that. Who do you suggest as far as a host site? I've heard photobucket was a good one to use..............
Old 12-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
JulzHW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Try photobucket.com
JulzHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbound4Max
Hootow ~ Thanks for the advice on that. Who do you suggest as far as a host site? I've heard photobucket was a good one to use..............
Smugmug

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,360
Glad you got the pic issue figured out.. what a nice way to break in the new bike, congrats

Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

The Packing Process

Day 0 - Preparation, Planning, and Packing

Now that I've figured out the whole "save all your photos into photobucket, copy the image link / paste it into your post" thing, I'll go ahead and start from the beginning of our trip (to keep it in a logical order : )).

So ~ Day 0 was actually about 20 days worth of planning, 10 days worth of preparation, and 1 day of packing. Dan (djaubs) and I definitely had our own ideas of how to pack for this trip but in the end, we were both wrong and the lessons learned were invaluable. I learned that I need to pack a LOT LESS CRAP and he learned that he needs a MUCH smaller bike. To put it into perspective, I carried damn near my own weight in "Stuff" and he was riding a bike with a saddle height 2 inches larger / taller than his inseam. Neither of which are great combinations when it comes to crossing the back side of Schofield or Haggerman Pass. Need I say more....................

Picture Set 1 - The Final Planning and Preliminary Packing / Load Plan Phase

Yep ~ I've got a TON of crap!

Dan did it RIGHT!

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 01-20-2010 at 06:48 PM
Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oh Yeah ~ The "Comms Plan"

Just wanted to throw this in here for S&Gs ~ My buddy Dan (Djaubs) is a Communications Guru and as such, came up with our Comms Plan. Great job by the way! We were in steady communication with every radio jockey on the planet!

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 01-21-2010 at 11:19 AM
Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
kkug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,646
Write it up nice with all the road numbers so I can do it this summer on my F800GS!
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
One good thing is that both of you started the trip with pre-dirtied bikes. And about the packing, yeah, the less the better. Looking forward to hear about the carnage.
Lion
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 AM   #12
DUC54
Giddy Up!!!

Oddometer: 95
eyes wide open keep it coming!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:30 AM   #13
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
Write it up nice with all the road numbers so I can do it this summer on my F800GS!
Bike4Fun,
Roger that! I'll get with Dan-djaubs and we'll figure which roads / trails we actually ended up on, lengths of legs, etc. etc... Thanks for reading along....................Sean - Dirtbound4Max!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:36 AM   #14
dirtbound4Max OP
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
One good thing is that both of you started the trip with pre-dirtied bikes. And about the packing, yeah, the less the better. Looking forward to hear about the carnage.
Lion
Lion BR,
Yeah, we're both daily bike commuters and as such, the bikes had some residual scruff on'em. Some of that may have also come from the trial run with the bags packed. I live directly across the street from an unofficial dirtbike "Riding Park" and we used it to check our loads. Unfortunately, the ride gave me a false sense of security with my load (126 pounds worth) and yep, you guessed it, I rode home and packed on some more ................DOH!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:56 AM   #15
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,062
A R1200 on Schofield Pass!?

This I gotta see.

Also in regards to packing, repeat after me, "Less is more, less is more."
Repeat ad nausium...
Subscribed.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote