Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #151
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
The stock electrical system is only about a 30watt DC charging circuit and a 45-50watt AC lighting circuit. You will most likely need to go to a straight DC charging system like the TrailTech one for what you want to do.

http://www.trailtech.net/S-8502.html

With that setup you will get 100watts of juice. If you start adding radiator fans and such you may also want to look into a voltage meter so you can monitor the charging system and make sure the battery is getting enough to stay alive.

Ken
I have recently added a spal radiator fan (06 WR450) powered off of the dc side and my battery goes flat within 30 minutes or so of turning the fan on.

Are you saying I could put a rectifier on my unused lighting circuit and possibly extend my batteries life?

I hate having to choose whether to have to kick start or whether to overheat (actually - after enough kicking - I start to boil....)

thanks for the trailtech link
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #152
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I have recently added a spal radiator fan (06 WR450) powered off of the dc side and my battery goes flat within 30 minutes or so of turning the fan on.

Are you saying I could put a rectifier on my unused lighting circuit and possibly extend my batteries life?

I hate having to choose whether to have to kick start or whether to overheat (actually - after enough kicking - I start to boil....)

thanks for the trailtech link

If I remember correctly, max wattage output is only achieved at very high RPMs...higher than most people rev their bikes for prolonged periods of time (the factory manual has reference to this, but I don't have it in front of me). Your battery charging needs most of the DC output to stay healthy, so your radiator fan is really causing the battery to get practically no charge.

You could potentially put a rectifier on your AC circuit and run the fan off of it, but then you'd have no lights. In your situation you'd really want to run a straight DC stator with a voltmeter on the charging system so you could monitor if your battery is getting enough juice. You could then put the fan and/or lights on a switch and regulate power consumption based on what the voltmeter is telling you.

I was going to go this route on my WR before I brought it to Saudi Arabia, but I wanted to see what the bike ran like in stock trim at 40C and above before I went through the hassle of adding a new stator and the fan.

Nest of luck to you.
Ken
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #153
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
If I remember correctly, max wattage output is only achieved at very high RPMs...higher than most people rev their bikes for prolonged periods of time (the factory manual has reference to this, but I don't have it in front of me). Your battery charging needs most of the DC output to stay healthy, so your radiator fan is really causing the battery to get practically no charge.

You could potentially put a rectifier on your AC circuit and run the fan off of it, but then you'd have no lights. In your situation you'd really want to run a straight DC stator with a voltmeter on the charging system so you could monitor if your battery is getting enough juice. You could then put the fan and/or lights on a switch and regulate power consumption based on what the voltmeter is telling you.

I was going to go this route on my WR before I brought it to Saudi Arabia, but I wanted to see what the bike ran like in stock trim at 40C and above before I went through the hassle of adding a new stator and the fan.

Nest of luck to you.
Ken
thanks for the response
I've just changed the coolant to 75% water 25% antifreeze, stuck in a jd jetting kit and ordered a new agm battery. I'll ride it this weekend and see if all that helps but it looks like that 100w kit will be the 'final solution'

cheers

Mark
Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #154
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,690
Thumb

I just bought an 08' WR450F a couple of weeks ago. To replace my 06' DRZ. Best upgrade "mod" ever!!

I just discovered this thread. Looks like I've got a good bit of reading ahead. Glad to find a group of folks putting some big miles on the WR. Mine's a BLAST, but needs a bit of taming for the road. I think my main problem is the TPS needs attention. Also, my fuel milage is pretty low. Hopefully I can tweak the bike a bit to improve that.

Good to find the WR family.

free/online Motorcycle Repair Course-
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #155
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,090
How much weight can the subframe hold? I was eyeing pro moto and cycleracks. I want to ride 2-up with camping gear

Needs to do tthis

Thinking this should work

n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #156
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
My buddy put that rack on his WR450. It should do wonderful for you purpose of riding two up and stowing luggage.

Having said that it looked like a wart on the bike, like a F1 rear wing gone haywire but it worked to carry luggage more importantly. It also acted as crash bars when binning the bike as the rack took a lot of abuse. Which may be a point of contention with the rack if it transfers a lot of the crash stress directly to the subframe.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #157
OcoeeG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30

SO who has more info. on the 2012? I am looking at the wr250r but I would love to have more power. Is this WR the bigger brother of the 250 we have been waiting for?
OcoeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #158
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
FWIW, our guide had no issue with his WR450F at Dakar in '09 - was a 2007 IIRC.

It had a pissload of hours on it already - and we did more then. The bike was set up as a long range, cross country dirt tourer. Range predicated the large tank; wasnt nearly as unwieldy as I'd figured - but suspension was sorted. Handled altitude fine.

Did have a support truck - so no luggage (not like I had much) and when we pullled maintenance on all the bikes throughout, we had what we needed. Easy enough to prep out most of that need. Still, trip proved to me the use boxes we put bikes in are pretty arbitrary. Some are arguably better suited for unsupported travel than others - but you can make anything work.

For you guys looking at the electrics - is there someone out there for Yamahas like Dale Mazerow is for KTM? For that matter Dale might be the guy to ask.

Alacrity screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 05:27 PM
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #159
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,782
a sad day, a young country guy bought the WR450F today and i wanted to turn him down. says he revs his bikes till the valves bounce, uses sprockets till the chain is slipping over curved teeth and so on...

it's a bummer, being a one owner 2006 that's been looked after well. she's been great as a dirtbike / light adv bike and the new 2012 model was very tempting but they still haven't put a sixth gear on it. so i've defected to the berg fe570 but will always have fond memories of the WR....

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #160
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

The FE570 is a sweet bike. You'll be buying lots of rear tires with all that power.

It handles great, but is a bit tall and has a very firm suspension. My buddy that bought one a few months ago just ordered a lower seat & lowering kit for his.

Have fun on you new Blue bike.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #161
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
The FE570 is a sweet bike. You'll be buying lots of rear tires with all that power. It handles great, but is a bit tall and has a very firm suspension. My buddy that bought one a few months ago just ordered a lower seat & lowering kit for his. Have fun on you new Blue bike.
actually i'm well past 6 foot tall so found the berg way too small, had to push the bars forward and up heaps, lower the pegs, raise the seat, dropped the forks in the clamps to raise the front end etc. it's not quite enough but heaps better, even if it looks a bit like a chopper now.

love the power curve on it, i'm actually getting good tire wear by not taking it over 6000rpm or so. it still flies along but with good traction all the way. i loved the WR and the berg. just feels like a perfect WR.... imagine if yamaha decided to put a sixth gear in, bored and/or stroked the WR to somewhere between 530 to 560cc. i'd buy it in a flash.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #162
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,285
Just picked up a Yz426 from a friend to use as a playbike. The Africa twin is competent but heavy and not really what I wanted it for.

Biggest issue with the 426 is lack of tanks. 3.4gal is too small and doing a rear tank would be too expensive in addition to the front.

Would I be able to slap a 6gallon on from a steel frame 450? I cant see that they are that much different.
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #163
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 219
cant be done without welding and a heap of carry on

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
Just picked up a Yz426 from a friend to use as a playbike. The Africa twin is competent but heavy and not really what I wanted it for.

Biggest issue with the 426 is lack of tanks. 3.4gal is too small and doing a rear tank would be too expensive in addition to the front.

Would I be able to slap a 6gallon on from a steel frame 450? I cant see that they are that much different.
I have a 426 and my boss has an 06 steel frame wr 450 and i have had his long range tank for a while you would have to cut the dip-stick on the top off the frame, and by memory weld a cap on it, this would prove troublesome as there is nowhere to put oil in the motor. The later models had the dip stick on the side of the frame and a filler on the motor I think.

AND you would have to customise a seat as well

I have a clarke 3.3 gal tank and I have a baja designs rear tank 1.2 gal and this is great combo with this setup I can get around 100 to 105 miles with a sensible throttle control and as low as 85 miles going nuts in the wet.

http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=4_42_48

http://www.clarkemfg.com/yz400f-9899...gal-p-229.html

hope this helps

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #164
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post

I have a clarke 3.3 gal tank and I have a baja designs rear tank 1.2 gal and this is great combo with this setup I can get around 100 to 105 miles with a sensible throttle control and as low as 85 miles going nuts in the wet.

Geeeez! I thought 30 mpg was bad.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #165
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
It has been done but you have to do the full yz450 body swap. This is a 426 with the 6.6 tank on it. No idea who made it. I was going to do this but plan on getting a wr450 instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post

Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote