Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #241
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
Can anyone recommend a source for .52kg fork springs for an 04 WR450F ???

Eibach doesn't import the .52 anymore and nobody else seems to make them that stiff.

RaceTech frsp 4444552. I can see about getting you a set if you're still in need.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #242
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 977
check out the exhaust mods mentioned here.[/QUOTE]

great...thanks for this link.

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #243
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
I'm down in Costa Rica and looking at replacing my moto with a 08 wr450f.
The bike has a FMF pipe installed (has insert) and I am concerned about it being to loud. I do not want to cause unnecessary attention. Any feedback????
I want to be able to cruise through the small community slowly and quietly.
jimmy,

What FMF pipe is installed? The "Q" series is pretty quiet but the other pipes can seem pretty loud. You mention that your pipe has the "insert" does that mean it has the quiet insert or the spark arrestor? Depending on the pipe you have there may be a quiet insert available. I have an FMF Speed exhaust with the spark arrestor on my 07 WR450 and it is by no means quiet.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #244
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
jimmy,

What FMF pipe is installed? The "Q" series is pretty quiet but the other pipes can seem pretty loud. You mention that your pipe has the "insert" does that mean it has the quiet insert or the spark arrestor? Depending on the pipe you have there may be a quiet insert available. I have an FMF Speed exhaust with the spark arrestor on my 07 WR450 and it is by no means quiet.

- Ken
I just installed an FMF megabomb header and Q4 exhaust on my WR450, it is not that loud, meaning I don't feel bad starting it in the neighbourhood and riding to wherever. FMF quotes 94 dB sound level for this exhaust and the header alters gas flow out of the cylinder which also helps quiet things down, so the combo is reasonable for in-town use.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #245
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Hi WR lovers... Here's mine '12 with so much as 30 rh. I'am so in love with it and so are my friends who all ride EXC's. I guess that says a lot. Being 6'4'' i'am kind of still searching for the best pegs-bar mod. I'am waiting now for the 2'' Rox risers to push the bar little bit further fwd, and if that is not enough, i'll do the pegs mod. Back here in Croatia, WR comes with all the crappy law imposed bs, so i had to uncork it first, and i did get rid off all the extra weight -horn which i found useful crossing the city to get to the dirt.
Somebody asked about the clutch...well it's not plush as the hydraulic ones, but on my S10 it is more stiff,and it is hydraulic, so i guess i'am use to it. I don't see it as a big issue.
Starting up... i call it a " 3 chance starter"... If it doesn't start on first one, by the third press it will! And that is only when the engine is hot. In the coldest of the cold mornings it starts at glance. Still have to try different maps, but i'am just to lazy... "ride more, care less" kind of guy.

Question for you guys... This "natural" color IMS tanks...are they transparent? Can you see the fuel level trough it?
IMO the black one would be less conspicuous, thus better looking, but if u can see trough...i'am sold.

I might want to try a taller seat... Where should i look for it?

Tnx. If u have any questions...just shoot.

T-cosmic screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 02:38 AM
T-cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #246
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer: 200
Yes, the natural tanks are translucent enough to see the fuel. Here's my newly acquired '07 WR450F with 3.6gal Clark tank. Haven't figured out total mileage I can get with it yet, but will find out soon enough. Got a rally race coming up soon and it's unclear where the refueling points are.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...psd039775c.jpg

'81 KZ1000 (resting in pieces)
'01 WR426F
'07 WR450F
hiawassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #247
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,908
T-cosmic,

I really like Seat Concepts. http://seatconcepts.com/

They offer new pads & cover, which you staple to your OEM seat pan. It isn't hard to do & save you a good bit of money, especially so on shipping to Croatia.

They offer them in tall versions, and can do any type of fabric combination you like. I went with their stock WR450 colors in the gripper fabric and really like it.

I've seen them do contrasting thread colors, like orange thread for KTMs which looked great.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #248
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
T-cosmic,

I really like Seat Concepts. http://seatconcepts.com/

They offer new pads & cover, which you staple to your OEM seat pan. It isn't hard to do & save you a good bit of money, especially so on shipping to Croatia.

They offer them in tall versions, and can do any type of fabric combination you like. I went with their stock WR450 colors in the gripper fabric and really like it.

I've seen them do contrasting thread colors, like orange thread for KTMs which looked great.
Tnx for the info. I think i saw a pic of the new WR with SC seat somewhere in this thread. I'll write them a mail to figure out the shipping cost.
How about the comfort? Any improvement??

Old 01-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #249
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
Tnx for the info. I think i saw a pic of the new WR with SC seat somewhere in this thread. I'll write them a mail to figure out the shipping cost.
How about the comfort? Any improvement??

The SC is a dream come true, for an aching butt. This was the second one I've bought. I had a Suzuki DRZ400S, and the stock seat on those is much worse than the stock WR450 seat.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #250
doger300
kiwi adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Are adventure/road use WRs prone to 5th gear failures?

My 05 WR450 has lost 5th gear. The shift lever works but the gear fails to select. My research on the subject (on the net) suggests that it is a fairly common failure on WRs - especially on bikes that have been adventure/road ridden - i.e. with a lot of running in 5th gear. My bike has travelled 13,500km - much (most?) of it in 5th gear.

The failure is due to wear in a selector fork and the engagement dogs on a couple of the gears. The repair involves spitting the cases to replace the worn parts.
doger300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #251
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by doger300 View Post
My 05 WR450 has lost 5th gear. The shift lever works but the gear fails to select. My research on the subject (on the net) suggests that it is a fairly common failure on WRs - especially on bikes that have been adventure/road ridden - i.e. with a lot of running in 5th gear. My bike has travelled 13,500km - much (most?) of it in 5th gear.
bugger. mentioned on this thread earlier, i adapted an old TE610E cush drive hub for adv riding after reading about WR gearboxes on the road.

i also geared it high enough so that at around 55mph i could use either 4th of 5th to spread a bit of the load between the top two cogs for road or long dirt roads. i had an old SR500 thumper (no cush hub) that chewed out its fifth gear at around 12000 miles with lots of highway use so was aware of the issue.

gearing the WR up left first gear too high for gnarly sections so got a rekluse auto clutch to take care of that.
B1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #252
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
I was running 15-45 with motard tires on my old 05. I never had gear box issues.

My new 06 has very few miles on it. I plan on doing a cush or the yfz clutch basket.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #253
doger300
kiwi adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I put the YFZ clutch in mine, but not until it had travelled 12,000km, so it may have been too late to make a difference. However, it appears to be a selector/engagement issue rather than a gear tooth fatigue/failure problem so I wonder whether a cush drive or clutch would avert the problem.

The cushion clutch makes it noticeably smoother at cruising speeds though - so is worth doing from that standpoint.
doger300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #254
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by doger300 View Post
I put the YFZ clutch in mine, but not until it had travelled 12,000km, so it may have been too late to make a difference. However, it appears to be a selector/engagement issue rather than a gear tooth fatigue/failure problem so I wonder whether a cush drive or clutch would avert the problem.

The cushion clutch makes it noticeably smoother at cruising speeds though - so is worth doing from that standpoint.

dogger,

How much did the parts cost & how long did they take to install ?

I don't really need "one more project"..., but it sounds like a worthwhile mod, especially if you plan to keep the bike long term.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #255
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Guys do you use any kind of disc guard on the 2012? I would like to buy one for all the rocky stuff i'am riding, but i just cannot find anything that fits. Any suggestion?? Tnx