User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #316
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,433
Cush hub

Fitted cush hub today to my 2006 WR450F, a bit smoother on the road and less clunky on the down shift. Got a Talon Hub, Stainless Spokes, Excel Rim made up. Comes with all the new bearings, seals, spacers fitted, also complete set of sprocket and disc mounting bolts. Built by John Titman Racing.

BygDaddee screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 02:04 PM
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #317
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Took mine for a spin...

Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #318
Macsplace
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey BygDaddee that Cush Hub setup looks sweet. How much heavier is it than the stock hub /wheel assembly ?
Macsplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #319
kawazukiman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
WR450f's come compliance plated from the factory for Aus, there are some US imports that do not but very very rare. I imagine making a non aus compliance plated one road legal would be difficult, but nothing that money couldn't do. They are very popular here and many for sale, might be better of just buying one
Good to know thanks BygDadde! I can get one here new for $6,499 US and in oz price is around $13,000 so it's worth bringing them over since we'll be getting two.
kawazukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #320
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

I never weighed it apart from the fact it felt heavier when carrying it. I would say its 1-2 kg heavier at a guess, but that's only a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsplace View Post
Hey BygDaddee that Cush Hub setup looks sweet. How much heavier is it than the stock hub /wheel assembly ?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #321
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Seat Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhooked View Post
What's the best choice for an aftermarket seat?? Going on a trip to Colorado soon and I need a seat that won't try to split me like a piece of firewood!
I've always installed Corbin seats----until now! I ordered the less expensive seat from 'Seat Concepts" and love it. You get their foam and the cover----you have to staple it to your base after peeling off the OEM foam. A normal spring loaded stapler wont work----neither would my electric stapler. So I picked up a cheap air stapler (about $20) from our local hardware store and it worked like a charm. Great seat----I didn't even think about the seat during the last trip of 97 miles ---Man! 97 miles across the mountains and the seat never even entered my mind-----that ought to tell you something.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #322
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

If you look back a few posts you will see B1 with a home made job. I just fitted the seat concepts wider foam and cover to my pan. Blue sides black gripper top looks just like original except its wider at back half. I have same one on my 690 and pretty happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
I've always installed Corbin seats----until now! I ordered the less expensive seat from 'Seat Concepts" and love it. You get their foam and the cover----you have to staple it to your base after peeling off the OEM foam. A normal spring loaded stapler wont work----neither would my electric stapler. So I picked up a cheap air stapler (about $20) from our local hardware store and it worked like a charm. Great seat----I didn't even think about the seat during the last trip of 97 miles ---Man! 97 miles across the mountains and the seat never even entered my mind-----that ought to tell you something.

BygDaddee screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 10:13 PM
Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #323
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,276
Looks great Big Daddee. Nice shots Cosmic. What kind of bearings did your Talon hub come with? I got a RAD cush hub fully built but it came with crap All Balls chinese bearings that blew out in 6 months, catastrophically during a desert race.

I replaced all the hardware and bearings with SKF bearings.

New mirror setup. small convex on the left and reg mirror on right

n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #324
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,943
n16ht5,

I like your chainsaw carrier. Looks simple & effective. What's the pink thing, & why didn't you use wing nuts on it & the ax? How is your saw secured?

Your daughter looks happy back there.

I took my daughter for a little ride today, but she's almost 15 now & I had to bribe her with BBQ for lunch. It was across the county & we took the backroads both ways.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #325
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Checking the bearings is on my radar but not yet, I even went to the point I got them to give me the bearing and seal numbers and qty's that where in the hub so I didn't have to pull it apart. I'll keep a close eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
Looks great Big Daddee. Nice shots Cosmic. What kind of bearings did your Talon hub come with? I got a RAD cush hub fully built but it came with crap All Balls chinese bearings that blew out in 6 months, catastrophically during a desert race.

I replaced all the hardware and bearings with SKF bearings.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #326
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

WR450F almost complete

2006 WR450F - Fitted a Talon Cush Hub, 15/50 gearing, might drop to 47 or 48 but undecided yet, 2.8 gal Clark Tank (10.6 ltr over 200k), Seat Concepts cover and foam, Tool Fender Bag, some bar risers. 12v power socket. I've got some frame protectors in the shed to go as well. I'll see how I go doing a bit of light adventure riding on it and to keep some k's down on the 690.

BygDaddee screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 04:38 AM
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #327
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,821
Looking good Paul. My RAD came with SKF bearings in it.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #328
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

I really did want to check the bearings out but couldn't be bothered pulling it apart, so I got the part numbers and next time I take the wheel off I'll check the bearings and grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Looking good Paul. My RAD came with SKF bearings in it.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #329
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Mountain bike?

I wonder if a new 2012 WR450F might make a better mountain bike than my current 2011 YZ450F, specifically in the steep, rocky San Juan moutain passes in the Silverton, Ouray, Telluride area (note, I have not had my YZ in the mountains yet but have been kicking the idea around).

One item that appeals to me is the electric start on the WR - we were recently in some spots where kicking the YZ would be pretty tough.... I hear the power on the WR (uncorked of course) is less brutal than the YZ, of course the WR is heavier - so many questions!

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #330
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Coming from learning on big heavy old bikes, to my Dr650, and recently my Triumph Explorer, my wr450 does feel like a mountain bike to me.

Not a ton of trail riding yet, but enough to get a decent feel for it. As a woods bike, by far best ive ever had. This rips now that its opened up. After JD jet kit and appropriate mods, runs incredible. Starts first kick when cold, and even after hot nearly instant hitting the starter button.

Ran into a few problems with it, need to get those taken care of before I get much more riding in. Forks are leaking, and now oil is seeping out the clutch actuating lever on the top of the motor.

My uncles familys place in PA, has a closed road running next to it. Younger cousins frequented riding that as they weren't old enough to ride on the backroads yet. A couple times ran my DR through there, and remember it being a handful with that heavy of a bike with stock suspension.

Ran it again this May on our annual spring trip. Yami tore that up like it was a country back road. Bike just wanted to run harder and faster. Felt like nothing on that bike. I was amazed that was the same trail.

Although, I have come to realize, its not much of a dual sport in stock form. Most of the older guys I ride with are pretty content with riding the dirt roads a town or 2 over for ice cream. That's tore the knobby on there a bit, couple of the 55 mph stretches were running it pretty hard, etc.

All stuff im sure you guys know already. Im looking to gear it up some to cruise 55 comfortably. 15-47ish seems pretty common? Seems like would be comparable to stock gearing and 45 mph. I believe that is still geared lower than my DR650 was, and has more power/lighter/etc.

Tires? Had Shinko 700's on my DR and really liked them for all around riding and got decent life. But I would like something just a hair more aggressive.

I like the Michelin T63, and the Pirelli MT21. Both seem to be more aggressive than like the 700 style tire, but more rounded and streetable than a squared off knobby. I don't need full on knobbie(dot or not), but would like to be able to handle some light trail riding. Couple others, but they seem to be built more towards bigger much heavier ADV style bikes and are way more expensive.

Hopefully find a cheap wheel on ebay or such for a quick wheel/gear swap for different ridiing. Or eventually save the money for a cush hub and build a wheel.

Most of my trail riding seems to be rocky, roots, and loose. Ill probably stick with the stock gearing till they wear out. Might go up a tooth or two on the back for strickly trail riding. Like 13-52, and think I might try a trials tire as they seem to excell in those conditions vs a knobbie.

BygDaddee seems to have pretty close to what I want for some lighter dual sporting.

15-4x gearing
3+ gallon tank
better seat
small gear bag
cush drive

Trail riding the bike seems damn close to perfect as it now. I have en exhaust to put on still pick it up just a tad. Power already is awesome. Cant ask for much more. Bigger tank and seat would both be a plus even trail riding. Possibly adding some better lighting would benefit both trail riding and dual sporting too.

Those that have tried a trials tire on the back, how well does it hold up on those sections when you just let it rip? Just WFO, let her eat kinda situations? I love technical riding, but there are those times when you hit that wide open section and hit it fast and hard as you can like mx id expect.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making

ZZ4Blazer screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 07:22 PM
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote