Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #181
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ronnie
What is wrong with that picture Roland?

There's nothing wrong with bike taking a rest once in a while, but that's not what happened, is it?
Oh, I wasn't talking about the bike! The background!!!
Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 02:39 PM
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #182
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Stopped for a break once into Colorado. Met a painter in the park. Patrick Zoller. Nice work! I want to see the finished product Pat!

Poudre Canyon Rd 14.There are such great camp spots along these awsome roads in Colorado.

Ah, the places & things you see on these travels. Cool!

This brass horse was pretty excited about my steel horse. Yee-Haa, me too!

Rocky Mountain National park

Got to Denver with 1 day to spare to make sure the storage arrangment works out.
In the morning with storage all set rode the Lariat loop to Lookout Mountain just above Denver.

A residence on the Mountain. Can you see the 3 deer lazing
in the yard?
[/

Rode to Nederland for lunch. This place was awsome! The most fragrant & flavourful microbrew I've ever tried. Plus great ribs. Yum!

Last nite friday. I fly home Saturday morning. Being in Denver I looked online for a bar with some live country & western entertainment & found this, http://www.grizzlyrose.com/ the
Grizzly Rose. Cool place.
Great trip & again though nice to get back home. I do like the balance. & I do love my Tolerant wife. Thanks honey! (Ya I'm suckin up.)
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #183
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 347
Mount Rushmore in the background behind your dropped bike?

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #184
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 347
I want to ride the Lariat loop on a supermoto!!! (Or a bicycle, tricycle or on roller skates. That route looks like fun!)

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #185
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 307
What's wrong with the picture?

The picture of your bike taking a rest looks like the Euro V-Strom as the gear shifter is on the wrong side (plus your naidanaC eriT bag looks strange).

The Mt Rushmore pictures have also been flipped 180 degrees.

Otherwise everything looks great! Great report, great pictures!

Get back home soon - the Mohawk Inn meetings start again next week

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #186
wyostrom
Better be ready

Oddometer: 31
Roland, Another great ride report and pictures. Where next?
Don
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience."

"Life is a limited time offer... Live deliberately. Ride often."

K6 DL650 VStrom
'95 DR350
'72 Norton Commando
'59 Triumph TR6
wyostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #187
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM
The picture of your bike taking a rest looks like the Euro V-Strom as the gear shifter is on the wrong side (plus your naidanaC eriT bag looks strange).

The Mt Rushmore pictures have also been flipped 180 degrees.

Otherwise everything looks great! Great report, great pictures!

Get back home soon - the Mohawk Inn meetings start again next week

Bob
Well observed Bob I like to throw stuff like that in, see who is paying attention
Thanks.
Home now, working on Fly ride 10. Gotta sort my Gzillion pics to Best Of. You'll recognize some.
Mohawk next week would work . Away again week after.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #188
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyostrom
Roland, Another great ride report and pictures. Where next?
Don
Thanks Don.
I'm already back from Fly-rd 10 & will be starting that report soon. Gotta get my Gzillion pics organized for posting the Best Of.
Back to Salt Lake next week , finish Phoenix, Vegas or San Diego???

Hey by the way your signature line quoted below is right on!!!

"Life is a limited time offer... Live deliberately. Ride often."
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:49 AM   #189
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Rollin
I like to throw stuff like that in, see who is paying attention
So is the pic of you on the steps of the cabin with the family reversed or another 180degree flip ? (either that, or your wearing your T shirt inside out to get another day out of it, or I need new glasses)
Fantastic journey Roland. You are living the dream.
Mike
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #190
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
So is the pic of you on the steps of the cabin with the family reversed or another 180degree flip ? (either that, or your wearing your T shirt inside out to get another day out of it, or I need new glasses)
Fantastic journey Roland. You are living the dream.
Mike
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #191
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Cool2 Fly-ride 10. Colorado & Ridin the Red in Utah!

Fly-ride 10. Colorado & Ridin the Red in Utah!
My dream to do Monument Valley WooHoo!

As usual, bike maintenance first.
Hotel parking lot.
Changing the front tire just picked up, this was ordered the week b4 via an online search from home.
Balanced the rim before putting the tire on so this can just stay in place even thru future tire changes.

Recovered my Dynabeads from the old tire to add back in once new tire was on.

Installed the new tire. Bead would not set. OK, I'm ready for that now. From last trip I had brought a ratcheting strap with me for just this purpose.
Plan B was to try to blast it with air from one of those little Co2 canisters via my backup pump.
Plan C was using lighter fluid to blow the tire on & hopefully not up. Eeee!
Luckily the strap worked. Yaya! Another notch in my adventure experience belt of know how.

Well I also wanted to change the oil & had 3 litres of oil & a new filter ready. Found out my bash plate had shifted & there was no way I could remove the drain bolt. Tried to remove the filter. Wouldn`t budge. Aaugh!
Well here is another point where i have discovered just how determined I can be. I hate to give up, gotta be a way.
OK, got it! Lean Suzi over on her side & pull the filler plug. Tip er over a bit more, voila 2 liters of oil drained into a plastic bag. Put in the new oil, pour the old oil back into the now empty bottles & done for now.
I don`t report on all the problems, issues, challenges I`ve actually had along the way as there just isn`t enough time for all that. Certainly all a big
part of the adventure i feel. Like last trip after dropping the bike & my back brake coming off shortly after. Spent 2 hrs on the side of the road to deal with.. I still need to bleed the back brakes & replace the ABS cable. Also still need to replace my right front signal light.
I could detail all these challenges at some point in the report if people are interested???

OK off we go. As you can see things are already getting pretty cold in the higher elevations of Colorado. I expected this & so had to just skip much of Colorado. If you do want to see more of Colorado I did 10 days of offroad there last summer. Awsome! & all in my report, link below my signature line.

Rode thru Aspen & a little ways up Aspen mountain ski area.

Colorado National Monument. Spectacular
!

Lunch with a view.

Independence Monument

Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #192
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Cool2

Approaching one of my favourite places on this Earth. Moab.

This is just so cool!

Accomodations in Moab for this weekend are totally booked as this was a long weekend for Utah(ians?) & the weather is perfect. Great for camping. I had planned on camping here anyway.
Lots of great camping available in this area. I wanted to be as close to Moab as possible however as I don't cook.
I had gone back & forth on road finding most of these local sites were full. It was getting close to dark now as well.
Fortunately Peter a fellow rider who was camping with his wife Linda in their RV flagged me down & offered that I could set my tent up in the vacant tent spot on their site. Awsome, thank you so much.
I get set up quick just before dark. Peter & Linda then offer me Beer & dinner. Very nice! Very nice people, thank you again.

Peter, Linda & Rockin Rollin. Hello Peter, Hello Linda. It was a real pleasure meeting & spending some time with you. Thank you so much for your hosptality.

So here is a cool thing about where i was camped, right across the river from the Hole in the wall where the Poison spider offroad trail goes up to. I was there on the other side last year, when I rode that trail on my dirt bike. You can ride across that arch it's probably ~ 12ft wide.

So I included some pictures of that spot from last year when I came here.
On the top of this pic you can just see a laneway coming off the road below & a tree just to the left of it.
My camp spot is just to the left of that tree.

You can see the camp ground just across the river.

Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #193
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Saturday I found a trail to the Dead Horse State park. Great views along the trail.

Came up to a very challenging up hill. (Well, challenging for the Strom that is.) Quick stop to have a look & get pic. Went for it up the right side. My right foot came off the peg & was dragging back under the peg making me stop with my skid plate just up on the ledge I needed to get up. Drat!
Well lucky guy that I am, even though[I had seen no other riders yet, 10 seconds later I hear a bike behind me. Beauty! Here comes a rider rippin up the hill. I lean to the right to give him room & he makes it to the top & stops 2 more riders, 2nd one makes it up. 3rd rider makes it up to beside my back wheel. Well that makes me feel a little better, however if I hadn't been in his way he may well have made it fine. He recovers gets going again & makes it the rest of the way. Good guys all stopped at the top & came back dow n to help me.

Here are my rescuers. Thanks guys. Sorry but I can only remember 1 name that was Steve who was the first up, & pictured on the right.
If you stop by
here guys please reply hi.

Here I am at Dead Horse point.
Dead Horse Point State Park is one of Utah's most spectacular state parks. The view from Dead Horse Point is one of the most photographed scenic vistas in the world. Towering 2,000 feet above the Colorado River, the overlook provides a breathtaking panorama of Canyonlands' sculpted pinnacles and buttes.
Millions of years of geologic activity created the spectacular views from Dead Horse Point State Park. Deposition of sediments by ancient oceans, freshwater lakes, streams and wind blown sand dunes created the rock layers of canyon country. Igneous activity formed the high mountains that rise like cool blue islands from the desert below.
The legend of Dead Horse Point states that around the turn of the century the point was used as a corral for wild mustangs roaming the mesa top. Cowboys herded them across the narrow neck of land and onto the point. The neck was then fenced off with branches and brush. One time, for some unknown reason, horses were left corralled on the waterless point where they died of thirst within view of the Colorado River 2,000 feet below.

This picture is to the immediate left of above. 1/4 down from top middle is Thelma & Louise point. Where at the end of the movie they launched off a huge cliff which we probably were to assume was the Grand Canyon.

Right side of pic above, look close & here is what is there. Below Dead horse point.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 11-04-2010 at 02:48 PM
Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #194
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

This picture is from Canyonlands & shows part the White Rim Trail which i rode last year.

So again as i didn't report on last years Moab ride, here are some pictures of the White Rim trail. That was such a great & picturesc ride.

The switchbacks of the Shaefer trail.

Last year with Bob & Thomas

This year. Met a fellow Canadian &ADVer Johnny who now resides in California. Hey Johnny!

Johnny & James. James is a movie producer currently working on an adventure movie riding the Trans America Trail. Sounds like it will be a real class
production. Git er done James I wanna see it.
Rode the Shaefer trail with Johnny & James.

Darkness desended upon us 1/2 way across.

On returning to Moab we had dinner at Eddie McStiff's Restaurant & Brew Pub. James picked up the tab. Thanks James. You helped make my weekend. Free camping, free beer & free dinners.

& a rescue.
Thank you my new friends!
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 08:13 AM
Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #195
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Great stuff Roland!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote