Oddometer: 1,348
Been waiting..

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #347
Derwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Anxious for more inspiring pics, whenever you can get to it.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #348
flea biker
flea biker

Oddometer: 22
You are my inspiration, please keep them coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flea
flea biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #349
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 494
Been subscribed since after last years RDV...Even though I haven't been to the RDV, being so close to home I had friends there so I was watching that thread and somehow got to your Fly-Ride report from that. Loved the awesome pics so I subscribed. Your report makes me want a Wee-strom even more Thanks for sharing
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #350
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Talking Repairs Complete ready to ride. Motivated to report!

Hey I'm flying back to Phoenix next week. Ride Colorado & New Mexico.
Poor Suzi has been locked up & lonely there since spring while I've been sidelined for repairs/maintenance.

High time to update this report!!!
There hasn't been any riding since very early spring.
I had to change my riding plan for Panama. Plan for last winter was Central America to Panama. I had the bike all prepped ready to go. I had been trying to find storage in Panama to no avail. Checked Google, had tried a few posts for suggestions on Horizons Unlimited and so far have not got any leads so that remains a question.
Reviewing the plan along with circumstances at home (Lily's brother Mike was terminaly Ill and I didn't feel good about going away for a longer period of time away. Then most especially if he were to pass away, which he did in march. Mike, may you rest in peace.) I also had some health issues (I required some repairs). The timing was not right & I was not ready. My health concerns/repairs were scheduled for correction. (I hope!) I have a Heart condition & surgery was scheduled for end April. I also had a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in my left knee & had surgery scheduled end of June for that. It would be nice to have these fixed up first. !

I also felt I really need to do more research on CA. Security & Deseases/Inocculations is a big concern.
The multitude of border crossings is a big deal & very time consuming as well. Then also having to do them again coming back. I felt maybe I should think about continuing to South America at that point. I also came upon the realization of just how big & more so long Mexico is. I wanted to be sure to have enough time for this trip to see the major sights without having to rush, there is still so much of Mexico I have not seen yet.

Around the middle of December I went to the motorcycle show & met John who owns "Riders of the Sierra Madre" tour company running motorbike tours in Mexico. He is a native Ontarian who now resides in Mexico. Super nice guy. He offered me storage at his place near Guadalahara. Looking at the awsome tour he offers http://www.ridethesierra.com got me very interested in exploring that area.

April 28th I had a surgical procedure to correct Atrial Fibrillation of my heart. This was a cronic condition I had lived with under stress for 15 years.

I was home after just one night in the hospital but first nite home I kept waking up unable to breath and am very hopeful it has now been corrected.
Did get out dirt biking 30 days after my surgery and that put me back into Afib time will yet tell as it has recurred twice after the only 2 times I have
gotten on my dirt bike this summer. Doctor had told me that should not have been a problem and can't explain why. I believe it may have been the vibration
or perhaps was it, I was just so excited to be on the bike again. So I've given up dirt biking for this year. I'm pretty bummed out about that.
Lot's of turmoil this year.

Anyway I did get to Mexico and it was great, so let me share some of that ride.

So Suzi was in storage in Phoenix where I began. Rode into Mexico via Nogales. Crossing the border does not even involve a stop unless you pull in to declare something. Down the road ~ 20 Km is the stop to get a visitors permit and a "Carnet de Passage". A temporary permit to allow the motorcycle in & your guarantee that you take it back out & not sell it in the country. A refundable $400 bond is held on your credit card.

The Bond is paid here.

You also need separate insurance in Mexico as your home policy will not cover. This was available here but i had already bought online.

First place I stopped was along the Sea of Cortez, San Carlos, gorgeous spot!

Don't see much wildlife along the road in Mexico but you could run into Cows Horses, Sheep, Goats, etc at any time. It's especially dangerous to ride at night,. even cars with no lights.

You see sites like this all over Mexico.

Here is Suzi resting in front of the hotel.

Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 09:34 AM
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #351
ROBBLE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
go

Go Roland! Glad you're back...
ROBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #352
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
What he said! ^

Good luck and ride safe Roland!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #353
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Talking Mazatlan

Hey thanks guys, good to be back & I can't wait to get away again next week, so as usual now i am in catch up mode.
Gee just like it used to be back in school, not doing the project till the deadline and under pressure. I think it's called procrastination.

So Mazatlan was next major stop.
Great place. I stayed in Old Mazatlan & felt like I was in the French Riviera. Real cool!

Was looking for a hotel & as i passed by one I hear 'ADVer'. Jeff a fellow ADVer let me know this was the place to stay. Just pull in thru the front doors & into the courtyard. Alright! Thanks Jeff!
La Siesta Hotel. Great place. Oceanside room with balcony for $50 per nite. YES!
I should have got a picture of the place from the front but some how didn't. Here is a shot from inside the courtyard looking out.

You saw the Police & Military going by all the time, ready for some serious action. Should I feel extra safe or extra concerned?

Fellow ADVers from Oklahoma. Scott, Jeff, Dale & Rob. Hi Guys. They are from Oklahoma, have been riding Mex 3 times & love it.

The courtyard. Great secure parking.

Jeff doing maintenance on the bike.

Beautiful Bronze statues in Old Mazatlan.

The boys exiting the hotel & heading out fo San Blas

Yayaa!
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 05:39 AM
Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #354
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Just outside of San Blas

Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #355
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

The real Mexico

Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #356
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Puerto Vallarta

It was frustrating trying to find accomodation in PV. Rough, greasy & busy, real (& round) rock roads made me a little nervous as well.

Found out there are a lot of Gays come to PV. A whole section espcially caters to them. They fly rainbow flags there. I found this out after checking out this one hotel. I could tell the clerks were gay right away and just as I walk up to the desk another guy eyes me up & down as he walks up from the hall in just a towel. I question the clerk about rates which were high & he asks me "Do you know what kind of hotel this is"? He then gave me the lowdown. I hightailed it out of there & headed for the other end of town. I made a stop under a light at a small plaza as it was well after dark now. I wanted to
check my guide book. I ended up speaking to a few people there who told me of a good & cheap place I could stay. One guy jumped on the back of the bike to show me where. I just had to promise to bring him back there. Well I got a reasonable room for only $30 dollars a night. Great consdering it was very close to the beach and the strip. The bus also came right past the door. This was great because I parked Suzi in the landladies Kitchen & it was difficult to get in so I wanted to leave it there till i was ready to head out again. I stayed 2 nights.The beach & the strip is huge so I made good use of the bus service.
So here is the Den mother Bridget, nice lady.

That is one beautiful place!

Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 07:01 PM
Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #357
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Cool2

Traveling Mexico there are street vendors everywhere. Stopping to eat at these is usually quite good and the people are generally very friendly and welcoming. My feeling was I was honoring them by stopping at their local. A great experience.
I stopped here for lunch because i could see it was busy so I figured the food should be good. It was! & cheap.

Mid afternoon I passed by a watermelon stand. I though a few slices would be nice & refreshing so I turned around & went in. There were 3 ladies attending the booth. They told me they don't sell just slices. The whole melon was only $2 but would have been way too much for me to eat on my own. So I said I would buy it them if they would share it with me. Well they really liked that idea. One lady then cut & spiced it up & pressed lime overtop. Alright! watermelon Mexican style. We shared the melon & had a hoot joking around. One of the woman could speak english and could translate. She also wanted me to stay overnight. She was heartbroken when i turned her down. Oh I they love my blue eyes.

Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #358
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Cool2

Page too long - Bump
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 03:06 PM
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #359
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Page too long - Bump
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #360
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Continued
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!