Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #121
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Well it's monday morning I go outside to load up the bike, first thing I notice is a flat rear tire. Crap! Then... Whoh!!! Check out my, well used to be ADV sticker!!!

Checked my tire... 3 holes. Bad things happen in 3's.
If you look closely in the pic you can see my 3 plugs, the one on the right is obvious the other 2 are side by side at the bottom of the pic, just above the gravel.
ADVENTURE!!!

Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #122
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Well I 'm back on he road after my morning discovery, heading back to Yosemity to do the Tioga pass & go up to the high view at Glacier point, neither of which I was able to do last trip due to snow in the high elevation.
I just love it when your riding, come around a corner to a view like this. Beautiful! Unfortunately pictures can never do the experience justice.

Passed by lake Tahoe on the way. No pictures.

I always love the rock formations you get out here.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #123
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Coming into Yosemity National Park in California

"Half Dome" in the distance.

The views from Glacier point. Magnificent.

This picture would have been great if this guy had not been in the way!

I really love Yosemity! Spectacular!
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #124
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Heading back to San Francisco I went via Santa Cruz. This is the famous Boardwalk amusement park & Beach. Lots of beach volley ball being played.

The famous pier. You can drive out there. It goes out about 1/2 a mile. there are a multitude of businesses espcially restaurants. I had dinner out there.

A real california "Woody"

Along the coast at Santa Cruz heading north

Santa Cruz Fi... Well you can see for yourself.

Back to San Francisco today & I fly home tommorrow.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #125
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Thumb

So here I am back in San Francisco, last nite of this trip, having dinner and and a fastastic evening with 2 other awsome ADVers. Jean-Luc & ZOA (Miriam).
Lady first: Miriam is a beautiful warm & adventurous Italian woman from Italy. She shipped her BMW R100gs motorcycle to Argentina & has been on the road for about 18months coming up north thru South America, Central America, Mexico and now North america. Her ultimate destination is Alaska. She has had quite the adventures. Many of them unfortunately involving problems with her bike. Great thing is she is actually capable to work on it herself!!! Her main talent however is making friends,she is an especially good cook & has traded off staying with people by cooking sumptuous meals for them. One of which I was the fortunate recipient of. Here is her Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460121 It was a real pleasure to meet & talk wih you Miriam I wish you all the best.

As I had already mentioned in a prevoius entry Jean-Luc was largly my inspiration for this ride. He's a crazy French dude with a huge passion for life,
living in San Francisco. An awsome guy. If you haven't seen his thread "Chasing Summer" it's Alaska to Panama & beyond with a ton of adventure along the way.
He's got an a great personal writing style, & amazing pictures. Check it out: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260655 Fantastic! I was reading along with him when he was posting every few days while he was on the actual ride. Oh & his pictures are so good, that actually led me to buy a new camera b4 this trip. Ordered it online & had it delivered to his place. Picked it up there at the start of this trip.
I spent the first & last nite of this trip at his place. Also rode his KTM950, nice but wow it's high! That is definetly to me the nicest sounding bike out there.
Jean-Luc thanks so for putting me up, all the great information, the help with camping gear & the wonderful dinner & evening. Oh & it was great to meet some your local friends,Josh, Dirk, Eduardo & Jeff over some fine local brew. Oh & I will never forget that Spirited night ride on the hills of San Francisco.

Well there is the end of another awsome Fly-ride west trip.
Next trip will be back to San Francisco & head for the BMW national rally in Redmond Oregon. Then head to Montana for Adventure rider West Fest. Finish in Calgary Alberta.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #126
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Oddometer: 2,232
Nice pictures Roland

Thanks for your kind words, I was myself very impressed by your high spirits and the way you tackle all those logistics issues to "leave the dream"! This month of July was really fun with several word travelers stopping by, swapping stories, beers and good food .

Looking forward to the next leg of your trip!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #127
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer: 592
Great RR

Fantastic pictures! You do have an eye.
Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan ... my internal dialogue was a full on harangue. The Buddhist call this dialogue “the monkey mind” well my monkey mind had a brand new tire in its cage and was whippin’ it around... -Vermin, The Grapes of Rat

kluts screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 11:44 PM
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #128
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Rollin
Well it's monday morning I go outside to load up the bike, first thing I notice is a flat rear tire. Crap! Then... Whoh!!! Check out my, well used to be ADV sticker!!!

Checked my tire... 3 holes. Bad things happen in 3's.
If you look closely in the pic you can see my 3 plugs, the one on the right is obvious the other 2 are side by side at the bottom of the pic, just above the gravel.
ADVENTURE!!!

Hi Roland, What's going on with the sticker?

Did you run over a spike strip or what?

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #129
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Thanks for the compliments on the pics guys. I'm lovin this new camera & it's super zoom & features. I still need learn how to use all the features better. Unfortuately I had some confusion on some of the settings and so a lot of pics were taken with a low setting including the one at your place Jean-Luc. Can anyone recommend a good book on photography & making the most of all the optional manual settings? Jean-Luc you're a master photographer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn
Hi Roland, What's going on with the sticker?

Did you run over a spike strip or what?

GhostsGhostsGhosts
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #130
Dutch Connection
Dutch Connection

Oddometer: 5
Talking Awesome -Keep it coming

Glad you're home safely ! Great pic's and script. Always enjoy your total experiences but am in a state of jealously of course !! Ridng up the Bruce to Tobermory across and around Maniloulin doesn't compare but it's been a great summer ! See ya soon
Dutch Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #131
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Rollin
.... I still need learn how to use all the features better. Unfortunately I had some confusion on some of the settings and so a lot of pics were taken with a low setting...
Being an old school 35mm shooter, I still find myself reading the 5,000 page (well it seems like it-- maybe it's the 16 languages it comes in) manual that came with my relatively cheap point and shoot Canon. I call it a PhD camera-- "Press Here, Dummy".

Read the manual through a chapter at a time with the camera on and try some settings. You have a good composition eye, and that comes from a guy who's had way too many art and photography courses. Keep up the good work. Still wish I could remember to set mine on multiple shot firing while in action.
Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan ... my internal dialogue was a full on harangue. The Buddhist call this dialogue “the monkey mind” well my monkey mind had a brand new tire in its cage and was whippin’ it around... -Vermin, The Grapes of Rat
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #132
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Connection
Glad you're home safely ! Great pic's and script. Always enjoy your total experiences but am in a state of jealously of course !! Ridng up the Bruce to Tobermory across and around Maniloulin doesn't compare but it's been a great summer ! See ya soon
Thanks John. Well at least your getting out
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #133
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts
Being an old school 35mm shooter, I still find myself reading the 5,000 page (well it seems like it-- maybe it's the 16 languages it comes in) manual that came with my relatively cheap point and shoot Canon. I call it a PhD camera-- "Press Here, Dummy".

Read the manual through a chapter at a time with the camera on and try some settings. You have a good composition eye, and that comes from a guy who's had way too many art and photography courses. Keep up the good work. Still wish I could remember to set mine on multiple shot firing while in action.
My manual is computer based. I'll print off the pertinant pages at home and take them with me to experiment. Thanks for the feedback Jim.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #134
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Well if you don't know I am behind on reporting but trying hard to catch up.
Flew back to San Francisco. Got Suzi outa her 2nd floor closet.

Went up hwy 5 this time vs the pacific coast highway to make time. Redwoods park.

Oregon coast only saw a beautiful bit of it & headed inland.

Passed this dude enroute.

Hung with this wild bunch in Grants Pass Oregon

Crater Lake, Oregon. It is actually the crater of a blown out Volcano. Spectacular!

Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 09:03 AM
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #135
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Got to the BMW national rally in Redmond Oregon. 7500 riders. It was in the fairgounds. Tents & activities everywhere. Seminars, shows, demonstrations and a multitude of vendors on site. You could get new suspension or tires on your bike right there. Bought a new highvisibility jacket which you'll now see in the pictures. It ran from Wed evening to sunday morning. There was so much going on right there, the bike never moved. there was also a beer garden and Live music which started pretty early each day & included several bands playing till ~ 1AM. I really enjoyed the weekend. Met & spoke with a ton of interesting people.

Got really busy by Saturday.

Met Glen Heggstad "Striking Viking". For those who don't know, Glenn was kidnapped while riding thru Colombia a # of years ago. He managed to escape with his life (not Bike) & subsequently wrote a book about it called "2 wheels through terror". I haven't read it yet but definitely plan to. He has continued to ride the world and just completed another book called "One More Day Everywhere: Crossing 50 Borders on the Road to Global Understanding". That one I actually just ordered.

Below is Ralph in the forground and his saviours Steph & Jan. Super nice & very interesting couple that I met & became friends with. It was jan's 70th birthday on Saturday.
When we where packing
up on Sunday I mentioned my route to them & they told me I would be going very close past their place. So why don't I stop by. I said I didn't want to promise but if there was enough time I would love to do so.

This is a lava field that I rode thru west of Bend. It was huge.

Oregon is beautiful & the colour of the rivers had a beautiful greenish tinge.
Oh & check out the new sticker on my bike.

Stopped by at Step & Jans, beautiful place right on the side of a mountain. You actually have to negotiate a switchback going up their driveway.
Jan was a King crab fisherman in Alaska & had a lot of great stories, also of Steph right there at his side. The old pictures he had were classic fisherman

with the big white beard. Cool!
Jan & I went out for a day ride, the day after I arrived.

They have been all over the country 2 up with trailer behind.
It was really nice staying with them for 2 days. Beautiful location & property. Beautiful home. Beautiful people.
Thanks Steph & Jan.

Heading to Darby Montana now for the ADVrider West Fest.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 09:00 AM