Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #31
canridertj
CANRIDER

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by totomoto View Post
This is the area where four German tourists died including 2 kids. They attempted to cross Mengel Pass in a Minivan (yes, Minivan) going west, realized it wouldn't be feasible, decided to turn around via Anvil Canyon, which used to be a connection to Warm Springs Road. They got stuck in Anvil Canyon and tried to walk out towards the south in the hope of getting to the China Lake Naval Weapon Station. Their remains were found 13 years later. A lengthy report about the circumstances and search can be found here:
http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/s...alley-germans/
It also includes detailed and fascinating descriptions about the landscape, topography, and the remoteness of this area. It clearly is a stark reminder about how unforgiving the desert can be and how a small mishap or a bad decision can quickly turn into the worst. So yes, don't go solo, bring appropriate equipment and experience, be prepared for being able to survive for a few days, and hope for the best.

I'll have a read of the article this weekend.....

thanks

Terry

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man
canridertj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #32
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Great report! Thanks for sharing!
outlaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #33
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjj1 View Post
Thanks for the info.....the running shoes make a lot of sense..would never have thought about that..I'm planning on a 2.5 day training session with RAWHYDE and a 2 day trip with them as well ino the mojave desert in September this year....this will help with seeing what the desert is really like....and of course what the riding is like too......I have extra gas can to carry but Death Valley looks extrememly remote...what did you do about fuel?

Terry
There is a gas station right next to the furnace creek lodge. Good restaurant, pool, nice rooms at the lodge as well. Stayed for 5 day of ridding on my 640A a few years ago.
Plenty to see.

Thanks for bringing this report back up to the top.

Desertsurfer, good read, I thought you were getting into big trouble.
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #34
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
What is wrong with your camera?
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #35
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by totomoto View Post
This is the area where four German tourists died including 2 kids. They attempted to cross Mengel Pass in a Minivan (yes, Minivan) going west, realized it wouldn't be feasible, decided to turn around via Anvil Canyon, which used to be a connection to Warm Springs Road. They got stuck in Anvil Canyon and tried to walk out towards the south in the hope of getting to the China Lake Naval Weapon Station. Their remains were found 13 years later. A lengthy report about the circumstances and search can be found here:
http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/s...alley-germans/
It also includes detailed and fascinating descriptions of the landscape, topography, and the remoteness of this area. It clearly is a stark reminder about how unforgiving the desert can be and how a small mishap or a bad decision can quickly turn into the worst. So yes, don't go solo, bring appropriate equipment and experience, be prepared for being able to survive for a few days, and hope for the best.
I just spent the last couple of hours reading this. I know I am a fairly slow reader but it was very detailed and like some sort of detective work. Great read! It really is unfortunate how what started as a great vacation can lead to such a tragic ending.
outlaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #36
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws View Post
I just spent the last couple of hours reading this. I know I am a fairly slow reader but it was very detailed and like some sort of detective work. Great read! It really is unfortunate how what started as a great vacation can lead to such a tragic ending.
I just sucked into that as well. The author is a great writer and fascinating story. Well worth the time to read.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #37
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
I just sucked into that as well. The author is a great writer and fascinating story. Well worth the time to read.
Me, too.

Great example of scientific methodology. Sorta creepy to want to read it, too. Felt bad for those folks, and I'm far less likely to ride solo.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #38
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Don't ride through Death Valley solo

I've been going to Death Valley about once a year since '07. I'd heard about the German tourists but didn't know much about it. Like the rest of you guys, I read the piece and, MAN, what a chilling account.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #39
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
My fuel supply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjj1 View Post
I have extra gas can to carry but Death Valley looks extrememly remote...what did you do about fuel?
Terry
I studied this route over the course of many years prior to actually riding it. I had calculated the mileage between all the fuel stops and figured I always had no less then half a tank.

I was planning on entering DV at Goler wash and filled up at Trona. On this trip my KTM 950 had stock fuel tank with a range of about 120-125 miles. I think I had gone 80 miles. I brought several maps including a very detailed one "Southern California Backcountry Trails" which has mileage at each fork. I found this extremely helpful as there are strange turns up in Goler and into Mengal.

I preran this route in a 4x4 and would prerun it again in a 4x4 before riding my bike as I've heard this section is washed out much worse.

I've heard of people asking for the large propaline coffee bags at Starbucks to use as temporary fuel containers and fill them up last minute to strap up in a drybag.

There is gas at Furnace Creek in the center of DV, also at Stovepipe Wells. There is no gas at Scotty's Castle.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #40
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Bad compression...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
What is wrong with your camera?
I loaded the photos in a few software programs to reduce the size... and it definitely crunched them. One was from the scanning process of the prints as they were 35mm, not digital.

Live and learn.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #41
OffRoadCruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
I loaded the photos in a few software programs to reduce the size... and it definitely crunched them. One was from the scanning process of the prints as they were 35mm, not digital.

Live and learn.
I know this report is 3 years old but is there any chance that you can post the original pictures?

We have lots more bandwidth now and I know I would really like to see the pictures in their original resolution if possible.

Carl
Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #42
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post

Live and learn.
35mm? Really? You are a rare breed.
And, I might have missed it but was there a conclusion to the mechanical problems?
And, in conclusion, let me find the right emoticon.
Awesome!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #43
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Info on the mechanical problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
35mm? Really? You are a rare breed.
And, I might have missed it but was there a conclusion to the mechanical problems?
And, in conclusion, let me find the right emoticon.
Awesome!
The early 950 carbed models had a fuel overflow cannister that would fill up when the bike bounced around alot, creating fuel tank back pressure and when the fuel to splashed out of the fuel tank overflows. And the fuel would back out through an overflow tube on to the ground. It also backed up into the carb from this. I'm pretty sure this is the simple yet correct way to explain it. There have been several factory re works... removal of the fuel cannister, adding a fuel vent line connecting both fuel tanks. And then some have done the flapendectomy... which is removing a rubber seal in the fuel caps.

The problem I had with the fuel overflow was not a serious issue. But it was upsetting to have these issues on such a new bike.

And within a week after my DV ride my voltage regulator/ rectifier went out taking the battery with it. I believe this was due to several issues from this ride. One being that the outside temperatures were over 110 degrees on this ride. And secondly I was traveling very slowly through the passes, washes and tight canyon exits. There wasn't enough air circulating the heat off the engine and the voltage regulators are succeptible to over heating.

Since then, I've done alot to reduce the heat off the motor. I changed over to Engine Ice Coolant, I added a second auxillary fan and lower temp. thermo switch and I replaced the stock radiator guard with a more open guard. All of these have certainly helped, however, the bike still runs hot but not often and not where damage could occur.

Even though I posted this ride report three years ago, the trip was taken around 2006.

I still happily own the same '04 1/2 KTM 950 and absolutely love it. It has never, to this day, left me stranded. And although I find less time to do long trips as I've gotten older, I've still managed to do a fortunate amount of adventure touring with it. This last year in September of 2012 I took three weeks and rode from Northern California to Bend, Oregon and back. And I periodically do a ride I'd written a ride report in the day trippin section titled "Destination Imitation Mediterranean" that I'm very fond of.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #44
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Rustic pics man - gives the RR a different feel for sure.

I would agree with you in one respect - Do NOT ride Death Valley solo without extra tubes!!! Not sure what flat fix would even do for a pinch flat in a rock garden.....

nice job,
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #45
canridertj
CANRIDER

Oddometer: 158
Eek pics

where are these pics located?

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man
canridertj is online now   Reply With Quote