User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #151
intotheabis
High on life!

Oddometer: 594
Stand

Got mine today, looks very well made and much more compact than I originally thought.
I will give her a try tonight.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #152
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by intotheabis View Post
Got mine today, looks very well made and much more compact than I originally thought.
I will give her a try tonight.
Thanks!
Thanks intotheabis, it's compact enough pack out of the way but the best part is when "somebody else" has a flat you whip out the Trail Stand and get right to the supervising....."well there's your problem".....it's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it

Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #153
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Yay - mine is finally here! Smaller and lighter than I thought, but perfect for the job!

Thanks Steve!It was worth waiting for. Now, if I could just get the DR to start, I could go out and get a flat somewhere in the boonies!
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #154
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Question How to raise front wheel (DR650)?

To the Suzuki DR650 owners...how are you folks raising the front wheel off the ground? My skid plate doesn't have the holes in it as found on many KLR's and such.
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #155
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep View Post
To the Suzuki DR650 owners...how are you folks raising the front wheel off the ground? My skid plate doesn't have the holes in it as found on many KLR's and such.

Hi M1Jeep, looking at the pics above it appears the frame transitions from a double cradle to a single cradle behind the pipe. I would try and see if the cradle of the Trail Stand would fit in there and support it that way. I believe it is tall enough but it might be close. I'd have to try it to see.

The other thought is to drill a small hole .25 dia + in a forward location, you could drill on one each side to balance out the look if it bugged you.

Do you have a pic of your bike looking at the front skidplate/frame area you can post?
Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 03:12 PM
Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #156
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

I'll post a pic this evening after work. Thanks Steve.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #157
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I'm not sure who made my engine guard/skid plate but I was under the impression it was stock, and it has two holes under the front mounting point.

I think they might work to hold the front end off the ground on the DR650.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #158
jghix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
trail stand

Just sent in order. Going to be a lot handier than finding the right rock or stick.
jghix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #159
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

I would probably drill a hole 3/8 in. hole in one of these loacations if it would not work in the Y of the front of the frame. It might work in the large hole but it might be to far inboard to be very stable, you will have to try it and judge for yourself. When lifting the front wheel stability is always increased by preventing the rear wheel from rotating counterclockwise around the bikes kickstand.

Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 03-16-2011 at 06:10 AM
Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #160
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
I would probably drill a hole 3/8 in. hole in one of these loacations if it would not work in the Y of the front of the frame.

Good suggestion but...

That's ok if you're using the stand on your own bike, and are able to drill a hole ahead of time, but in the interest of finding out if this will work on the trail when I'm lending my Trail Stand to someone who hasn't had the foresight to drill a hole in either of those locations, I'm going to try the stand on one of those original holes tonight.

Just for the sake of curiosity, if nothing else...
Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #161
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Steve, I didn't get home until late yesterday evening and didn't get a chance to take a pic. I've been reading the follow up posts and will go ahead and take the plate off and drill a few holes in it as a lifting point. Thanks again.

-Rich

Quote:
I'll post a pic this evening after work. Thanks Steve.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #162
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Steve, I didn't get home until late yesterday evening and didn't get a chance to take a pic. I've been reading the follow up posts and will go ahead and take the plate off and drill a few holes in it as a lifting point. Thanks again.

-Rich
No problem at all M1.
You want to locate a hole the furthest forward and outboard that you can while still leaving enough material for support. I would not get any closer to the edge than about 1 inch just to be safe and you need some room behind it so the cradle of the Trail Stand doesn't contact the engine cases. Also I would probably wait until you get a Trail Stand to get an idea where the best spot will be.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
Old 03-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #163
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Good suggestion but...

That's ok if you're using the stand on your own bike, and are able to drill a hole ahead of time, but in the interest of finding out if this will work on the trail when I'm lending my Trail Stand to someone who hasn't had the foresight to drill a hole in either of those locations, I'm going to try the stand on one of those original holes tonight.

Just for the sake of curiosity, if nothing else...
Hi Emmbeedee, your correct sometimes you have to get creative out in the field with a bike that doesn't have a good spot to support. I've always been able to figure out something. Sometimes it's not a real stable point and what you do is hold the bike steady while the front wheel is pulled and reinstalled. Then of course you let the Trail Stand hold the bike while the flat is being fixed. One of the best ways to stablize a bike for removing the front wheel is just to put a foot on the right side of the rear tire on the ground, that stop the bike from wanting to rotate around the kickstand.

Like I state in the instructions, all bikes are different and you have to decide what will work safely and what won't. I've always been able to figure something out but it's not fool proof, like any jack stand of course.

Here's a pic with a very good spot for a stand to lift the front wheel for reference

Cagiva Gran Canyon
Old 03-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #164
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Well the left hole (looking from the front of the bike) in the engine guard works just fine to hold the DR650SE front wheel off the ground. I had no trouble getting it up on the stand, and shook the bike as if I was taking the wheel off and it was stable.

The back brake was locked; you might be able to see the green bungee cord holding the pedal down, wrapping around the bottom of the frame to the other side of the bike. I wasn't able to find a way to use the velcro strap to hold the brake, but I've always got a bungee around so that's good enough.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #165
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nice pic's Emmbeedee
Yep since most bikes are different in that area lifting the front will vary. As long as you are happy with the stablility that is what is important. I see you discovered that having the bikes kickstand elevated with the board puts more downforce on the stand and adds to stablity. A flat rock will do the same in the field if necessary on some bikes.
Cagiva Gran Canyon