User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #31
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,112
Thumb V-Strom Lift Pics

I enlisted an assistant and took some pics today. And yes indeedy, the mighty Trail Stand is plenty strong enough and long enough to hoist the moose-like V-Strom with excellent stability.

For both the front and rear lifts, the pin was in the fifth hole from the top, and the bike was secure and stable. For the rear hoist, we used the velcro strap to lock the front brake.

The rear:

This is much more stable than it looks, since the inner part of the widget at the top of the stand is up against the gusset under the swingarm, like so (you may want to tilt your head to the left and imagine you've crawled under my bike) I didn't think to try it under the swingarm spool, but that probably would have worked too.:

And yes, the rear tire really is off the ground. We tried the stand using the footpeg, but that didn't work, and the exhaust interfered with using the frame. Also, on a V-Strom with a top box, the footpeg seems to be a little too far forward to make a good point for hoisting the rear wheel -- using a point further back is much more stable.

Now for the next event, the DL1000 front end clean and jerk, using the skid plate as the lift point for the stand:

Note that my assistant didn't really get the stand all that straight. The bike was still nice and stable, and it didn't hurt the stand a bit. I probably should have at least put the bike in gear (thought of that later, derp), but no disasters today.

Also, one really nice detail is that when you put the stand together for storage, you just screw the foot in a tiny bit by hand, and it takes up all the slack so nothing rattles. That's very thoughtful design, folks.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."

bwringer screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 08:37 PM
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #32
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
During a ride last week one of the guys in the group had a flat right away. He was on a KLR with a center stand, so getting the rear wheel off was no problem. I don't have a KLR or a center stand, made me think how hard it would be to repair a tire if there are no rocks, logs etc around. Decided I better order the stand. Ordered Saturday, received an email the same day (seemed like within minutes saying the order was shipped) I thought sure, maybe the info has been sent to the shipper, but shipped...no way. Well I received the stand in the mail on Monday...unbelievably quick service.

The stand is very nicely made - quality piece. I haven't actually tried the stand out yet, but from reviewing this thread I have no doubt it will work just fine...here's to hoping I never have to put the stand to use, but it will be good to know I have just in case.
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #33
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ
During a ride last week one of the guys in the group had a flat right away. He was on a KLR with a center stand, so getting the rear wheel off was no problem. I don't have a KLR or a center stand, made me think how hard it would be to repair a tire if there are no rocks, logs etc around. Decided I better order the stand. Ordered Saturday, received an email the same day (seemed like within minutes saying the order was shipped) I thought sure, maybe the info has been sent to the shipper, but shipped...no way. Well I received the stand in the mail on Monday...unbelievably quick service.

The stand is very nicely made - quality piece. I haven't actually tried the stand out yet, but from reviewing this thread I have no doubt it will work just fine...here's to hoping I never have to put the stand to use, but it will be good to know I have just in case.
Thanks for the order OKDQ!
I can't always get them out that quick but if at all possible they ship the same day, if I cant do that next day that the USPS is running.
The stand will even help if you have a centerstand by holding up the front wheel if you have a flat front, and of course if you have a centerstand and your buddy doesn't it let's you "supervise" instead of holding the bike up
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #34
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
Thanks for the order OKDQ!
I can't always get them out that quick but if at all possible they ship the same day, if I cant do that next day that the USPS is running.
The stand will even help if you have a centerstand by holding up the front wheel if you have a flat front, and of course if you have a centerstand and your buddy doesn't it let's you "supervise" instead of holding the bike up
Well, I was in Big Bend the same time as OKDQ and I now have first hand knowledge as to how the stand works. I had two flats on my KLR in two days. I have never had a flat on any of my bikes but was sure glad I had your stand. I have a center stand but still used your stand to stabilize and get the KLR higher off the ground which made the flat repair so much easier.

OKDQ and I will be at the Flint Hills Stampede but let's hope we don't have to try out your stand.

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #35
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnowball
Well, I was in Big Bend the same time as OKDQ and I now have first hand knowledge as to how the stand works. I had two flats on my KLR in two days. I have never had a flat on any of my bikes but was sure glad I had your stand. I have a center stand but still used your stand to stabilize and get the KLR higher off the ground which made the flat repair so much easier.

OKDQ and I will be at the Flint Hills Stampede but let's hope we don't have to try out your stand.
I forgot you guys were headed to Big Bend....glad to hear no significant issues like a few years back (of that we do not speak) a flat is no big deal if your prepared for it.

I'll see both you guys at the Stampede, they have talked me into do a Field Repairs Seminar Friday evening...fix a flat and how to deal with other issues that might come up so you can get back home with your bike kind of thing. What to carry with you for tools and such. I don't pretend to know it all but somebodies got to do it.

Snowball will you be a Eureka Springs this year?
Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 03-13-2010 at 11:34 AM
Old 03-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #36
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
I forgot you guys were headed to Big Bend....glad to hear no significant issues like a few years back (of that we do not speak) a flat is no big deal if your prepared for it.

I'll see both you guys at the Stampede, they have talked me into do a Field Repairs Seminar Friday evening...fix a flat and how to deal with other issues that might come up so you can get back home with your bike kind of thing. What to carry with you for tools and such. I don't pretend to know it all but somebodies got to do it.

Snowball will you be a Eureka Springs this year?

You bet, I have a reservation next to Uncle Dave. 19 more days

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #37
SprocketTX
Bull in China Shop

Oddometer: 137
Did we ever learn if it works on the KTM 690 Enduro? I saw the post and offer of a return and all. Inquiring minds need to know...

Nice to see it will work on my pachyderm-esque V-strom 1000 though...
SprocketTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #38
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprocketTX
Did we ever learn if it works on the KTM 690 Enduro? I saw the post and offer of a return and all. Inquiring minds need to know...

Nice to see it will work on my pachyderm-esque V-strom 1000 though...
I believe that post your referring to was for a 690 supermoto, I traded several pm's discussing it but I don't think he place and order. Like I said previously if it works on the 950 Super Enduro I would think it would work on the 690. As long as there is a place on the foot peg mount for the cradle to sit and not slip it will work. As with all bikes a skid plate with a hole in the right front is necessary for lifting a front wheel. Does the 690 foot peg mount look like the one on the SE950 below?
Cagiva Gran Canyon
Old 03-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #39
SprocketTX
Bull in China Shop

What, like a foot peg? Yeah it does...

Well, I just ordered one so we'll all know for sure...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #40
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprocketTX
What, like a foot peg? Yeah it does...

Well, I just ordered one so we'll all know for sure...
Great! It will be on it's way tomorrow USPS 2-3 day priority
Thanks for your order SprocketTX!
Cagiva Gran Canyon
Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #41
Zugg Zugg
Total Gear Whore

Oddometer: 390
Ordered....

Going to Junction in April and Big Bend in May. I'll be glad to have it, but hope I won't need it..
Zugg Zugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #42
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugg Zugg
Going to Junction in April and Big Bend in May. I'll be glad to have it, but hope I won't need it..
Just printed your shipping label as I'm typing this, consider it on the way, USPS 2-3 day priority too of course. Some friends of mine went to Big Bend a month or so ago, I'm meeting up with them in a few weeks, I'm looking forward to their report.
Thanks for your order Zugg Zugg! I do appreciate it!
Cagiva Gran Canyon
Old 03-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #43
SprocketTX
Bull in China Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugg Zugg
Well, that means there will be at least two of Steve's stands at TAR in Junction then...

Hopefully, neither gets used...
Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #44
SprocketTX
Bull in China Shop

In short, the Trail Stand works on the KTM 690 Enduro…

All in all, it’s a simple, solid tool that should make trailside tire repairs a whole lot easier. Beats the heck out of locating a rock/log, etc. Wrap included velcro around the front brake, turn the bars left, stand on the right, lean bike on kick stand and slide Trail Stand in place (your technique may vary). Easy...

Glad I bought it, would buy again. No affiliation, financial incentive, etc. Just a happy customer…

Only design suggestion I’d make would be some type of tether for the pin, top “hook”, and maybe run it through a hole in the “foot”. Would make it a lot less likely to lose the very pieces you need to do the job. Oh, and a bigger diameter foot perhaps? Maybe make it folding to save space?

A bit exaggerated (the rear at least), but the pics below show where I hooked it on my bike just to see how it worked. While I wouldn’t want to hang off the bike, it was surprisingly stable.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #45
sTE610vE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the post and the pictures using the Trail Stand on your 690!
Another place you might try when lifting the rear wheel is under the shock linkage, I've put there on my husky and it was very stable. That should let you place the stand with the foot flat on the ground which helps stability. Using the front brake lock strap really helps the stabilty like you mentioned.

I appreciate the feedback on the foot and cradle, it is a trade off between packable size and function. You could use the strap to hold the foot and the cradle together when packing it separated, or hook the hole in the cradle thru the eye of the pin before inserting it thru the tube and rod. I will give it some thought, thanks again for your order and the ideas!
Steve
Cagiva Gran Canyon