User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
LuckyTiger OP
KLRMARI

Oddometer: 27
USA by KLR in 70 days

Hey gang, this ride started on April 18th. I have covered the eastern states and am just now turning west. After crossing Texas, a large portion of this trip will be spent in Utah, Colorado and New Mexico exploring national parks. Then, the plan is to ride the whole Pacific rt 1, bop over to Glacier National Park, the Bad Lands and Black Hills, then home to Maine via any interesting route.

I don't think that I will post text and photos here, because I am already doing that on my blog. I will post links to recent posts and excerpts, or something.

Anyway, read away, offer your critiques and advice's and enjoy!

BLOG:
LOG.JEREMYNILES.COM

Below is a map of my trip so far:

Here are a few pictures to wet your appetites:

My bike ready to go

Brooklyn

Gettysburg wine country

Shenandoah/Skyline Drive

Blue Ridge

Typical camping situation

NC

FL
LuckyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
10jeff11
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Man I am definitely following this one. I really like that luggage rack you rigged up. Looks like a nice clean loadout. Have you been exclusively camping, or also staying in motels along the way?
10jeff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #3
LuckyTiger OP
KLRMARI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10jeff11 View Post
Man I am definitely following this one. I really like that luggage rack you rigged up. Looks like a nice clean loadout. Have you been exclusively camping, or also staying in motels along the way?
Thanks! I'm really happy with my load out so far, I may swap the straps for shorter ones with buckles soon.

As for camping, yes. Just camping and friends and family, who I have scattered all over.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 4,142
Love the hammock tent. How do you keep the bugs off?
Old 05-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Balanda
on any sunday

Oddometer: 85
The old KLR looks immaculate and well set up too! How is that seat arrangement working for you? It certainly looks sumptuous. Can you find somewhere to sling the hammock each night? Looking forward to your updates.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:04 AM   #6
gungpasuruan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
this gonna be amazing RR........keep goin
Old 05-03-2015, 04:33 AM   #7
BuffaloStapler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
In for this one! Looks like a great ride, and nice setup!
BuffaloStapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
jeffjbmw
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 874
If you are crossing NM on Rt 60....(VLA is an attraction) give us a PM!

Read my blog: http://jeffszen.blogspot.com/
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
scooter_kenny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I'm in (a fellow KLRer)
Old 05-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 863
Use the Tent Space and Camping List to find inmates along your route who have local knowledge of places and roads not to miss and a free shower/washing machine to tidy up now and then.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869519

These 70 days are going to help shape your outlook on life and people for the the rest of your life.

Safe travels and stop and say Hi when passing thru Nor-Cal.
www.visitlodi.com

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
LuckyTiger OP
KLRMARI

Thanks guys! In Lafayette, LA at the moment at a cool hostel called The Blue Moon Saloon. I know I said "hotel budget zero," but this place is more of a destination than a comfy sleeping arrangement. Besides, staying here costs less than a day of fuel.

I got in last night around 8:30 after slabbing it 350+ miles from Navarre, FL. 350+ because I dinked around for much of the morning looking for gators in the bayou. No luck.

I took today to explore a bit and do some much needed maintenance, and will be leaving in the morning headed North, contrary to my original plan to cut across Texas. Ill bang a left in Arkansas and head towards CO via Oklahoma. I decided that I would rather see some mountains and new states rather than slog it across TX.

Maintenance today included a valve clearance check. The bike's first ever as far as I know, and well over due at 10,800mi.

Everything looked to be in spec, but the left exhaust valve was right at its lower limit of .006in clearance, the right was close at .007in. Should I plan on shimming my valves in a thousand miles?

Here's the scene at the hostel. I'm not sure I would plan on being able to disassemble your bike here like this, it just happens to be a particularly quiet Sunday. Normally folks would be starting to file into the attached bar/venue by now @6pm. I do however recommend this hostel to ADV riders. $19 for a night that includes a great live show on Weds, Thurs, Fri & Sat + a drink ticket. What more could you want?

Thanks!

**disclaimer: I will likely borrow language from this post in my upcoming blog. I hope you don't feel cheated.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #12
Golden Chapati
Adventurer

This looks great and what a neat looking KLR you have. I fancy doing the USA soon, maybe by bicycle maybe by motorcycle. LuckyTiger what do you think, and any other Americans here, about wild camping in USA?

It easily done i.e. easy to find places that no one will bother you at night, and how is it generally received by people? I ask because I just spent a year in South America and wildcamped most of the time. I enjoy it and of course it saves money too!

Cheerio!
Golden Chapati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #13
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyTiger View Post
Thanks! I'm really happy with my load out so far, I may swap the straps for shorter ones with buckles soon.

As for camping, yes. Just camping and friends and family, who I have scattered all over.
Nice, looks really good! Subscribed
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
Unstable Rider
Moto Fotografist

Oddometer: 2,626
in.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
LuckyTiger OP
KLRMARI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Chapati View Post
This looks great and what a neat looking KLR you have. I fancy doing the USA soon, maybe by bicycle maybe by motorcycle. LuckyTiger what do you think, and any other Americans here, about wild camping in USA?

It easily done i.e. easy to find places that no one will bother you at night, and how is it generally received by people? I ask because I just spent a year in South America and wildcamped most of the time. I enjoy it and of course it saves money too!

Cheerio!
Well none of my campsites so far have been "official," so yeah, go for it. My next few will be in national forests i think, those are free and nice. I have yet to encounter a land owner, so I haven't heard any opinions there. I have had two amiable encounters with police: one on the stoop at the dollar-store/church and one on the beach in Florida. They seemed understanding