Looks rubbish ;)
UK Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
AdamAbel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funners
I have a big Ortleib bag like Adam's but I wanted the ability to keep wet tent/bivvy bag away from my sleeping bag etc should it rain hence the seperate bags, it also meant I could open my panniers without having to unload.
I kept my tent/bivvy in the bag and my doss bag in a pannier.
The lids came off no worries with the bag in place still, unless I wanted FULL access but after an initial reorg there wasn't much call for that as the larger items were in the bag.

The ortlieb is about ten years old and showing a few signs of wear. I might replace it in a year or two.
AdamAbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #18
AdamAbel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Jimbo
Looks rubbish ;)
Aye, Muzzy would have hated it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAbel
Prompted by Gravel Seeker, I thought it was time for a written RR.
There's a couple of threads on here with some vids we made, but as we have 1000+ pictures between u.......

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #20
AdamAbel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Tuesday, more tight roads, mixed with gravel, mountian passes, hairpins, hairpins on gravel, and as we made our way north to Trondhiem we could see an immense thunderstorm in the distance, I stopped to put my water proof liners in my riding gear and it proved to be a good move as 5 miles later the heavens opened, just as we hit another dirt section....it's fair to say that we were filthy by the end of it
At a coffee stop we decided that we would look for a hotel in Trondhiem to avoid the weather and set off looking for one.
I pitched up in the reception looking like a Paris-Dakar reject covered in grey filth from head to foot, they never even batted an eye !
the only slight hiccup being that it took 3 goes for the bloke to undertand the difference between "twin " room" and double , Adam nearly had to sleep on the floor !
Trondheim is a funny mix of very modern glass and stainless buildings cheek by jowel with proper old world Norwegian buildings, once we found the town proper it was a very intersting place to walk about.
We left the Hytte bright and breezy after a good night's kip in beds.

There was lots of gravel roads today, and more high level views.
I'd been a tad cautious on the gravel the previous night. I only started trail riding three years ago, and TBH at 5'8" the GSA felt a bit of a handfull on the loose.
Chatting to Guy (a far more experienced trail rider) over a vodka or three at the Hytte tho saw me following his advice this morning. "Just ride it like you do your WR250!"
Suffice to say the pace was considerably higher.

We skirted Lillehammer, and as we were enjoying the gravel stuck to the back roads paralleling the E6 North to Valebrua
http://www.gulesider.no/kart/?spraak...6tab%3Daddress
We then headed NorthEast over Ringebufjellet towards Atna

Not many pics on the gravel for some reason.....

As we continued North towards Trondheim the scenery got greener as we dropped to a lower level for the most part. The roads also got bigger and straighter for a while, giving Guy a chance to practice his on the fly shots...

We then took the 219, 27, 29 up to the E6 to Oppdal and Berkak
We stopped here (somewhere) on route for a fill of the tanks and the bellies...

For the most parts the roads were bigger on this section, and we had to watch our speed around the more built up areas. Norway has very strict and very costly speeding laws. Out on the open road it was never an issue (we only saw a couple of police vans the entire trip) but it pays to be cautious near the towns.
If I am honest I found this stretch a little boring (it was pleasant enough, just not the stunning scenery we had been subjected to in the mountains). I don't like main roads, but we wanted to get to Trondheim and needs must. As such I didn't take many photos, so the next batch are all Guy's.

Somewhere near Berkak we turned off onto more gravel and tarmac back roads. It was between here and Trondheim that we got caught in a BIG downpour, which turned out to be out only rain of the trip.
Not too many pics from this section, as we were head down going for it trying to get avoid/get out of the rain.

We eventually got to Trondheim and found a hotel in the city centre. Guy went in to see if they had any room while I waited out with the bikes.
And waited. And waited. And waited....

I was roasting in the mid afternoon sun and getting more than a tad irate tbh, and when Guy eventually reappeared the first word he uttered was simply "don't" as he knew I would be fuming.

Turns out something was lost in the translation and it took three attempts to get a "twin" room with two single beds rather than a "double" room with one bed for two. Now I'm a squaddie and will sleep anywhere with anyone, but apparently Guy wasn't up for it.

Not that our "twin" noticeably had 2 beds mind.

Mr's Funners assures me he will never bridge a three inch gap tho.

After a quick shower each, where I noticed the results of the midge attack on the first night:

We headed out for a wander around the older part of Trondheim.

We took loads of pics of the various styles of buildings and the old docks. I will just stick em up for the most part as I don't know what half of them are...

Apparently this is a camera obscura....

It was at this point we realised that we were a tad starving, and it was getting late, so we found a Pizza Restaurant (Pepe's Pizzas a few pics back) on the riverside. We ended up with two garlic bread, two large Pizzas and two cokes, and it cost 63.
Here's Guy looking at the bill.

Mine was shit too.

After we'd eaten we wound our way back through more of the old city to the hotel.

We came to the Catherdral.

Like I said, i don't do religion, but I like gargoyles so did a lot of this.

And with that, we hit the hotel....
Old 01-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #21
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
That's great ! Some really good shots. Good to hear you got wet there aswell

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #22
AdamAbel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Wednesday not quite so early a start, and we headed towards Kristiansund, Alesund and the Altlantic coast, where yet another type of terrain, much more rolling and the mist coming in over the sea, gracefull arching, curving bridges and over all to quickly really, worth the effort of going tho !
Next was "Trollstigen" a sinuous piece of tarmac draped over a rocky hillside and a roaring tourist trade at the top !, again, more impressive than words can convey, even photos don't do the place justice it was that good we had to ride back down and do it all again !
Next, Geraingerfjord which was breathtaking, very pretty and stunning scenery.
That night we "wild camped" just down from a frozen glacial lake at around 740 meters altitude(2428 feet), a nice camp fire, tea made and off to sleep again in Bivvy bags under the stars....well, twilight anyway, we were now so far North that it didn't really get dark at all just a kind of twilight around 2 am before the sun came back up again !
This was a day I was REALLY looking forward to. The Atlantic Road, Trollstigen Pass, Geiranger and wild camping. What more could anyone want?

It took us a while to get going in the morning. There was no rush tho, we would get to where we got...
The bikes on the pavement outside the hotel (with a couple that had also stayed the night there) after retrieving them from the secure underground parking a block away.

From Trondheim we took the 704 and E39 to Buvika, then dropped onto the old coast road for a while, before dropping onto more gravel back roads near Vormstad for the run down to Rindal, Surndal and the ferry across Halsafjorden. The main E39 to the ferry was closed, but we were happy on the back roads anyhow.

We paused for bacon butties, but my shite pizza from the night before was, well, shite. so Guy ate by himself.

As we approached the ferry this fella was skiing along the road.

He was a fair way out (couple of miles) and whilst we were there he must have done a good ten miles back and forth. Nutter...

Once on the other shore we headed to Kristiansund, to catch another ferry across Bremnesfjorden. They are building a tunnel across, but despite what the latest Zumo mapping says, it's not ready yet!

We filled up in Kristiansund, and I felt up to some food by then.

Then headed down to the ferry across to Kjerkvagen.

Unfortunately when we got to the Atlantic Road it was shrouded in sea fog, so despite still being a fun ride, it was far from at it's most spectacular hence there's not any photos (there's some video footage floating about tho so I will get that up later). Oh well, next time...

If you aren't aware of what it is, it's basically a series of bridges between small islands linking up part of the coast.
Without it the drive around on the mainland takes ages, whereas the Atlantic road is a stunning twenty mins in good weather. A search of You tube will show some decent videos of it.

From there we turned inland for the start of the long run back south for the second half of the trip. We followed the 64 down to Andalsnes.

From Andalsnes we turned onto the 63 to ride the most excellent Trollstigen (Trolls ladder) Pass.

What an utterly fantastic place. Racetrack smooth tarmac, glorious hairpin bends and views to die for. Literally if you keep an eye on them too long.
A definite highlight of the trip, if not quite my favourite....

From Trollstigen we carried on South on the excellent 63 towards Geiranger.

We snuck down the old road past a tunnel just North of Geiranger.

Before dropping into the stunning Geirangerfjord.

From Geiranger we carried on South East past the shore of Breiddalsvatnet, before turning onto the 258.

The road here turned to gravel for the long climb up onto Strynfjellet, and what a fantastic road it was. The sun was in our eyes as it was late and dropping down to the horizon, so as well as a great fun ride up into the cold cold ski area we were looking for somewhere to camp. We found a great looking spot, but after a few moments there it soon became apparent that it was crawling with midges, so we carried on past the ski lift and down the hairpins until we found this magical place.

After a feed I took a bath in the stream, Guy wussed on that, and then we settled down for the night by the fire (luckily the spot's previous occupants had left a couple of log) with a a bottle of vodka.

By far my favourite memory of the trip.

Night all.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
TBird1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
The scenery in Norway absolutely blows me away! I don't know how you guys get any riding done. But the roads look so good, I'm surprised you stop at all for photos. However you manage it, don't stop!
TBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #24
AdamAbel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird1
The scenery in Norway absolutely blows me away! I don't know how you guys get any riding done. But the roads look so good, I'm surprised you stop at all for photos. However you manage it, don't stop!
We didn't tbh. There were hundred mile stretches where I was just enjoying it too much to stop.
The helmet cam came in handy for me then. Guy took lots of the pics on the fly.
The places with obvious viewpoints we stopped, but the likes of Trollstigen were ridden twice, once to have a play and once to get some photos.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #25
AdamAbel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Unfortunately when we got to the Atlantic Road it was shrouded in sea fog, so despite still being a fun ride, it was far from at it's most spectacular hence there's not any photos (there's some video footage floating about tho so I will get that up later). Oh well, next time...

If you aren't aware of what it is, it's basically a series of bridges between small islands linking up part of the coast.
Without it the drive around on the mainland takes ages, whereas the Atlantic road is a stunning twenty mins in good weather. A search of You tube will show some decent videos of it.
Did I say 20 mins? I meant 4 mins.
Guy's footage, once it's processed:
Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #26
Bowes
Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 214
Excellent Stuff

Great stuff lads!

I'm gonna have a look at one of those Lumix cameras - need to buy a new one. Thanks for the info

This is a brilliant experience from behind a computer to surf the scenery of Norway, vids are a great interlude. Making some notes on your route.

The mozzies are not for the faint hearted - Bugger of a job for the wife's to clean the bikes when you got back eh?

Offroad Riding - Lap of Oman for Mary 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416409

The 8th Wonder of the World Discovered in Oman: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476324
Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #27
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,206
Great RR...

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #28
AdamAbel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowes
Great stuff lads!

I'm gonna have a look at one of those Lumix cameras - need to buy a new one. Thanks for the info
Its got just enough setting to mean it isn't totally point and shoot if you don't want it to be, but it "iA" setting seems to take care of most situations. Best thing is tho not only does it have a BIG zoom (for a compact) but the lens is also quite wide angle so it can fit some big scenery in it.

Quote:
This is a brilliant experience from behind a computer to surf the scenery of Norway, vids are a great interlude. Making some notes on your route.
I will post up the .gpx files at the end.

Quote:
The mozzies are not for the faint hearted - Bugger of a job for the wife's to clean the bikes when you got back eh?
With that and the crap from the gravel roads on the wet day, I suppose I better wash it sometime.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #29
AdamAbel OP
Adventurer

I'm afraid I am going to have to take a small break from this for a while as I am doing an Open University course and my next assignment is due in 10 days so I'd better target my efforts towards that for a bit. Back soon tho....

In the meantime a wee parting gift...
Quote:
It was at this point that we reached the first gravel road on the trip.
In the first video above you see me riding it from Guy's onboard footage as the first clip of action...
It was the white road here:
Fantastic if you are ever there....
These pictures are from the bridge we pull up at at the end of that clip.
Here's the full clip of this road. No sound off Guy's setup unfortunately so stick your favourite track on.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #30
aukanmeister
OTC#824

Oddometer: 86
You passed not far from my home. I'm sure we met on the road, because I did a lot of these roads with a couple of other english guys just about those days
Your narration is exellent! you are making my norwegian heart proud:)
OTC#824 Riding Konrad
aukanmeister is offline   Reply With Quote