Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
speedtrials OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
vstrom tail rack vs. happy trail tail plate

Hi Guys,
Can you comment me on using a top box on a happy trails tail plate vs. the OEM tail rack on a vstrom? The new happy trail rack work with either so I'm not sure which route to go.
Thanks!
speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
what topbox? Givi?

I've mounted Givi to the stock plate, the old style HT rack, and the new HT plate. They all work fine. It's no big deal- if you were comparing placing a dufflebag on the three surfaces, there might be a difference.

One advantage of the HT plate is you can choose to place your topbox further forward or further back than the stock location.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
speedtrials OP
Adventurer

I'm mounting a happy trail top box, so no special mounting plate will used. Just screwing it directly.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,211
I guess it depends on what top box you're talking about. I have a Givi top box mounted on a standard Givi mounting plate attached to the stock tail rack. Works perfectly.

If you're using a Givi box, use the Givi plate....using a Happy Trails box, use the Happy Trails plate, a Touratech box, a Touratech plate...ect.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
speedtrials OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru View Post
I guess it depends on what top box you're talking about. I have a Givi top box mounted on a standard Givi mounting plate attached to the stock tail rack. Works perfectly.

If you're using a Givi box, use the Givi plate....using a Happy Trails box, use the Happy Trails plate, a Touratech box, a Touratech plate...ect.
There is a happy trail "tail plate" ( http://www.happy-trail.com/Suzuki-DL...0-V-Strom.aspx ) that can be used to replace the OEM vstrom tail rack. A top box can be attached to either. While there is an optional happy trail 'quick release latch' ( http://www.happy-trail.com/Happy-Tra...Top-Boxes.aspx ) for their top boxes, I will not be using it and instead will be attaching it directly to either the OEM tail rack or the happy trail 'tail plate'.

BTW I should clarify that I have the happy trail SU racks install which allow me to either keep the OEM tail rack or replace it with the happy trail 'tail plate'.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
on_the_edge
Goat Herder

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtrials View Post
There is a happy trail "tail plate" ( http://www.happy-trail.com/Suzuki-DL...0-V-Strom.aspx ) that can be used to replace the OEM vstrom tail rack. A top box can be attached to either. While there is an optional happy trail 'quick release latch' ( http://www.happy-trail.com/Happy-Tra...Top-Boxes.aspx ) for their top boxes, I will not be using it and instead will be attaching it directly to either the OEM tail rack or the happy trail 'tail plate'.

BTW I should clarify that I have the happy trail SU racks install which allow me to either keep the OEM tail rack or replace it with the happy trail 'tail plate'.
Whoops, disregard. I just read your last sentence.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

Oddometer: 288
Buy the HT top plate and hardware. Taking off the OEM tailrack saves an unbelievable amount of weight.
Nnordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
speedtrials OP
Adventurer

Sounds like a good reason to go with the HT plate. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnordsman View Post
Buy the HT top plate and hardware. Taking off the OEM tailrack saves an unbelievable amount of weight.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

You will be very pleased when you pull that OEM plate off.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnordsman View Post
what, six pounds? It doesn't transform a porky tall streetbike into a skinny dirtbike or anything.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
what, six pounds? It doesn't transform a porky tall streetbike into a skinny dirtbike or anything.
I did not say it would. It weighs better than 6 pounds, and the weight is mostly up top.

Thanks for your input.