User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
ktm33b OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Opinions needed/ 05 VSTROM PURCHASE?

Bike has 14,600 mi, sw mototeck black hardbags and top case, engine guards, gps mount bar, 50% tread on tires, factory suzuki gel seat and newer chain. The seller is askin $5300. Blu book dealer value is $3880 for 05 with 11k on the odo. After looking at the 800gs this is looking like a better $ option. My plan is to mod it with springs, skidplate , bars, handguards and more aggressive offroad tires. I figure about $800 in extras. Is it worth it? Will the boke still hold value after a couple years and 20k more on the odo? Whataya guys that own the bike think? Thanks for any input. Are there any problem areas I should look at on inspection?
ktm33b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
If "West Coast Wasteland" is the West Coast of the continental US, it's about $2,000 to $1,500 than I'd pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm33b View Post
Bike has 14,600 mi, sw mototeck black hardbags and top case, engine guards, gps mount bar, 50% tread on tires, factory suzuki gel seat and newer chain. The seller is askin $5300. Blu book dealer value is $3880 for 05 with 11k on the odo. After looking at the 800gs this is looking like a better $ option. My plan is to mod it with springs, skidplate , bars, handguards and more aggressive offroad tires. I figure about $800 in extras. Is it worth it? Will the boke still hold value after a couple years and 20k more on the odo? Whataya guys that own the bike think? Thanks for any input. Are there any problem areas I should look at on inspection?
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Lomez
Yea...Sunday too

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm33b View Post
You should be able to do better. IMO, you should be able to find such a bike, with the cases (Givi?) for $4k.
Lomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
steve68steve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
If it's the 1k, 2005 was one of the crappy ECU years. I don't think the 650 was affected.

My Vee is a 2005, bought with around 11k on the odo, IIRC. No major problems (besides the ECU, which I just live with for the moment), but 14 or 15k mi is the first valve check, and the Stroms commonly need an adjustment at the first check (and often never again). Not a hard job on the 1k.

It's more street-biased than dirt by a long shot, IMO, and stock brakes and suspension are unsatisfactory for many.

Don't know about that price - I paid ~ $5000 for mine a few years ago, from a dealer. The 1k's are higher MSRP than the 650's, but I the dealer I bought from couldn't give the thing away. Sat on his floor for a year. The P.O. (also an inmate here) traded it in for a 650 Strom.

stromtroopers.com and vstrom.info have more info than you could read in 20 lifetimes.

'12 Glee
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I just realized it's a 1000, not a 650.

I retract my previous answer - but it still sounds a bit high.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
steve68steve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Forgot to mention, if you don't know about Stroms:

Lots of Stroms out there with well over 100k miles on all original parts. The terms, "bullet-proof" and "reliable" come up a lot re: the engine.

Like any bike, they have their quirky issues, but AFAIK, there's no "KLR doo-hickey" or "BMW final drive" - type big issues to be afraid of.

The 650 has less quirks than the 1000. Besides the ECU in certain years, the 1000 also has a noisy clutch basket and isn't the smoothest shifting trans ever devised. Supposedly the sprocket hubs are misaligned with the counter sprocket by 2mm. Some dude sells a modified spacer to correct.

If I won the lottery, I'd have a 1200GS, Tiger, Super Tenere..... Failing that, when my bike dies I'll get another Strom. A good value for the price, IMO.

'12 Glee

steve68steve screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 12:23 AM
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Lomez
Yea...Sunday too

Oddometer: 255
Don't fear the ECUs on 1k 'Stroms. Get a PCIII and be done with it. Used to have to keep it above 4k rpm. Not any more! Smoooooooth.
Lomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
darkshadow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Do you plan on doing any off-pavement riding? If limited then the 1K will be fine. But if you want to do lots of it then you should consider the 650. Its much easier to handle when it gets rough. my .02
darkshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Ive ridden a 1000 Strom a fair amount,a few issues with dragging bottom in corners,wobbling full lock tank slappers when fully loaded at speed,suspension needs work like all cheaply made bikes.
Their an ok bike if your not too concerned with getting a dualpurpose bike,mine was like a hooked whale if ridden off road at all.
Their personality is just like a toaster or fridge,an appliance that is pretty reliable. I always kept mine covered so visitors wouldnt have to look at it.