Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Chubber OP
I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer: 555
June in the Hill Country, TX. How bad is it really?

I live in Orlando and ride during June. I'm thinking of riding out there and spending two weeks riding around the Hill Country, most likely spending time in both Austin and Fredericksburg. My family will be in the cage, so we will do some things together, but I'll usually ride in the mornings or when they go on shopping trips or to amusement parks. I don't mind the heat while riding and humidity is only a problem if stuck in city traffic, but I was wondering about how often I can expect rain and what times of the days.

For example, in June in Orlando it's hot in the afternoon, around 92-95, but it rains very heavily every afternoon between 3:30 and 5:00, but is usually cooler and clear in the morning and later at night. Is it fundamentally the same in that part of Texas? Or different?
Chubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
maximus_flavius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
It really has to be experienced. Afternoons usually feel like a hair dryer running all over over your body.

It's unbearable in the afternoons. You can usually ride a few hours, starting early in the morning til 11 or noon.
maximus_flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 1,361
June in the hill country is nicer than in Orlando. Warm, but not as humid. It may get hot, or it may be in the 90s. Warmest weather is later in the summer. Rain will be possible, but not daily.

Climate data says average temps are 72/92 and 4.33 Inches of rain during June, and 69% sunshine. Extreme temps are 52-108 F.

I would not hesitate to plan a ride in the area in June.

(Full disclosure, I live in Dallas, but everyone in Texas has affection for the hill country - Austin has become over-populated because everyone wants to move there.)
NewToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:45 AM   #4
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,395
With you being from Fla you should have no problem with the Texas heat. What you will appreciate is the beauty of the Hill Country and lack of traffic that your not use to. I've been visiting the Hill Country for 20 years and never get tired of exploring it. Have you seen the commercials for Texas where they say it's like a whole different country? It really is. Some Texans say it really really is. ....
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 744
Just as hot, but not as humid... usually. The 4-5 inches of rain that the Hill Country gets in June comes in the form of a handful of late afternoon thunderstorms during the month that dump 1-2 inches each. The 30 days of June may result in only two or three days of short lived heavy rain. Don't cross swollen creeks during times of high water, period. If tropical weather comes in from the Gulf expect several days of unpredictable, often heavy weather, but you know how that goes.

The Hill Country is a big area stretching from I35 west to a line from Uvalde to Junction to Lampasas. The area between Austin and Fredericksburg can have some pretty bad traffic, especially around Canyon lake. It's not uncommon on a Sunday to ride a couple of miles, wait two light cycles to pass an intersection then ride another half mile just to do it over. Lots of great riding, just give some thought to when traffic might be heavy near the metro centers.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #6
Chubber OP
I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer: 555
All great replies, thank you. Just what I was looking for. Because I'll be with the fam in the cage a few days with bad rain won't be a problem, I just didn't want to ride out there for two days just to encounter daily thunderstorms like here in FLA.

Thanks again.
Chubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
You will be lucky to see any rain that time of year. As Texans though, we sure could use some more rain. The best of the Hill COuntry is around Kerrville and SW of their. Ranch Roads 335,336 & 337 are not to be missed. The Frio River will cool you off even in summer. Check out Luckenbach around Frederiksburg, lots of bikes and COLD Beer. Priceless.

Be sure to check out some Texas BBQ. Salt Lick outside Austin is one of my favorites. Opies outside Dripping Springs is good as almost ALL BBQ in Austin is very good. Followed with a cold LONE STAR and you can be a Texan for a while...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 28,868
There's a difference between June and July / August. June is warm, but bearable, generally. July and August, in the afternoon, are pure hell.

I wouldn't hesitate to go in June.

July / August? Unless you're at a hotel with a/c from 2pm till 6pm.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
So many weenies! Just plain embarrassing sometimes.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
So many weenies! Just plain embarrassing sometimes.
I'm sitting here chuckling but IIRC it was late June, 2012, when my outside heat-o-meter recorded 126F. Fortunately, I was ~100mi north, out of gas alongside US69, where it was only 106F.
garfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #11
ucwinters
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Like other have said, you should be OK in June but July and August can get really warm. As a rule, we have low humidity here in the hill country as opposed to areas like Houston and east Texas. Plenty of nice roads, twisty w/ scenery to ride. Just be aware of the deer - they're out all times of the day and night.
Enjoy your time here in Tejas!
ucwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #12
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 1,089
Not so bad

Just drink a lot of fluids to hold shape and avoid becoming a pizza. Last summer June was not too bad. First 100 degree day was not until July. Nice riding there too.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #13
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
I'm sitting here chuckling but IIRC it was late June, 2012, when my outside heat-o-meter recorded 126F. Fortunately, I was ~100mi north, out of gas alongside US69, where it was only 106F.
You need a new heat-o-meter. Bad.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #14
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,414
Trick I use in the Hill Country for hot weather riding is a full face saturated with water and ride with the visor down and vents open. Can you say evaprotive cooling?
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 744

Taken a couple of weeks before the Bastrop Complex Fire.