ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #331
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,918
Plan A and B

IMPORTANT AND PLEASE READ...

There’s a 20-30% possibility it will rain late Saturday or early evening, so here’s PLAN A and B:

PLAN A – Clear sky and no rain

Ride as planned to Carrizo and lunch in Pozo, and if we determined that Hi Mountain Rd is closed, I would prefer to turn around and take E. POZO RD. This way, we doubled our dirt miles, approx total of 180, and we get the chance to take Soda Lake Rd (straight line dirt super highway) on our way out (Elk Horn is the winding and hilly dirt road we’ll take on the way in). This route will take us closer to Los Angeles and away from the forthcoming rain.

For those who live in near hw101, the obvious choice is W. POZO RD. which will take you north towards hw58 and hw101.

PLAN B – Hazy sky and no rain

We stay in Carrizo, forget Pozo since we don’t want to be too far in and then get caught by the rain. Carrizo has enough dirt miles which can easily fill in our need. Then sometime mid day, we can go to Taft for cheap but good mexican lunch, then to return to Carrizo and do the rest of the stuff. Most of the road is easy and very easy, however, those who want some challenges (not exactly for nOObs); there’s a secret route (same one WW was talking about) Dave can lead you there as long you keep it a secret. Part of it is privately owned and gated, so you know the drills.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will be in Soda Lake puttering around and will meet with the rest of the group at the entrance sign to Carrizo near HW 166.

IF we ever see rain coming, jump on Soda Lake Rd and head out east to HW166. On the way home, it’s your choice, either take HW166 to Maricopa to FW5 (easiest and quickest) or take the same route we took on the way up back to Ojai (fun and scenic).

we can do a similar ride like this one: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=carrizo+plain

Those who want more dirt riding, there is Quatal Canyon, lots of BIG woops! Not easy, but I did it slow on my 640A. See pdpete's post!#329

any suggestions?...

NSFW screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 04:17 PM
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #332
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

here's a link showing aerial view of carrizo and the preferred route

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1207710846

road leading to taft from carrizo

possible place for lunch if we stay in carrizo

Old 01-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #333
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpete
Joel It doesnt look like you guys will have alot of xtra time but if you go up Quatal Canyon (DIRT) off 33 just befor Ventacopa it comes out at Cerro Noroeste rd then you ride the nice twisties down to 166 right at Soda dry lake rd
Have Fun
That cannot and will not be tolerated. The ride must proceed
EXACTLY as outlined and at EXACTLY the pace of the slowest rider.

I was intending to lead people who were interested over Quatal and continually got shot down.

I will not be able to lead tomorrow unless breakfeast takes as long as usual at the Deer Lodge. I anticipate arriving late at the Deer Lodge.

Can't pick upy bike until 8:00 a.m. Due to unforeseen circumstances. At best I'm thinking 8:45 for me at the Deer Lodge. If you FFs are done eating or close to done we'll either catch up or do the loop in reverse and meet you at Pozo Saloon.

Please, if for some reason we arrive at the Deer Lodge after you leave and the restaurant feels obliged to charge the group for my 2 cowboy omlettes rest assured. I have already obtained exact change and will repay you at Pozo when we meet up.

WW
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #334
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Not What I Had in Mind

[QUOTE=h8chains]IMPORTANT AND PLEASE READ...

There’s a 20-30% possibility it will rain late Saturday or early evening, so here’s PLAN A and B:

Sorry Psychic. That Route was not at all what I had in mind. I was just going to do some offshoots from 33 and nearby roads and secret bars.

There is credit card only gas near mcKittrick. If this turns out to be out and back the same route to/from Pozo gas will definitely be an issue. I'd suggest riding back over Pozo Rd to 58 and then either enjoy the great road that is 58 after Carrizo or heading back into Carrizo and going over Hurricane to McKittrick. Possible stop at the world famous Penny Bar then get credit card gas and go over Hurricane back into Carrizo. Or we could go North on ??? Creek Rd and cut over some really pretty central Cal land and then come back to 58.

Gas is an issue. Give it some thought.

WW
Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #335
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Cerro Noroeste

Cerro Noroeste is the preferred route back to the 5 from Carrizo if this becomes an out/back ride for western LA area riders.

WW
Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #336
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

maricopa/carrizo/pozo then pozo/carrizo/maricopa

gas may be an issue?

from maricopa to carrizo to pozo, then back to carrizo to maricopa, artboy and i were both on gs, made it back to maricopa. it's exactly 170 miles total. so, if you can't make that distance in 1 tank...bring extra gas. i can bring 2 msr bottles if you want to borrow them.

hopefully if rruuger rides his 640A, then that will take care of all our needs.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #337
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
gas may be an issue?

from maricopa to carrizo to pozo, then back to carrizo to maricopa, artboy and i were both on gs, made it back to maricopa. it's exactly 170 miles total. so, if you can't make that distance in 1 tank...bring extra gas. i can bring 2 msr bottles if you want to borrow them.

hopefully if rruuger rides his 640A, then that will take care of all our needs.
The 170 miles what kind of terrain is that on? I get about 210 to 230 on the road. But I only get about 160 to 190 dirt. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #338
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
The 170 miles what kind of terrain is that on? I get about 210 to 230 on the road. But I only get about 160 to 190 dirt. Ben
most of the dirt roads are like what you see on the pictures on post #2.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #339
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Plan A-B or C I sure there all fun I'm only do'in breakfest then I'm off for
a hot lap
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #340
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Thumb Plans A, B, and C

The current conditions are pretty good out here right now. I rode up the Elkhorn Grade on the way home from work, expecting to see some sections of mud, yet it was quite dry. The odds are good that we will stay ahead of the storms. If we make the Pozo Saloon, there is a pavement route out of there. I will haul 2 gallons of extra gas in case it is needed.

I may eat breakfast at ¨The Place¨ in Ventucopa, and meet all of you at the Ozena fire station on 33 south of Lockwood Valley Road. When is the estimated time of arrival for this small army at Ozena and Maricopa?
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #341
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
Quote:
thanks eric for saving me the headache!

BREAKFAST LIST

Light Breakfast
  • daz&shy

French toast and coffee
  • rinconrider
  • regulator
  • windrat
  • spafxer
  • yzlvr

Quesadilla and coffee
  • 8)H
  • sopascat
  • randyM
  • peanut g
  • bmwdon

Chili Omelet and coffee
  • johngil
  • ti-d-bowl
  • nowwhat
  • techtown

Bacon & Eggs and coffee
  • artboy
  • riddler990
  • ben
  • buenfeelings
  • t.barstow

Cowboy Omelette and coffee
  • lonestar2112
  • mrG’s bud
  • wallywhirled
  • ww’s evil twin

Trout Omelette and coffee
  • mrG

will order in the morning
the rider
biggiefalls

please see if it’s correct and PM me if i messed yours up!

bring exact change or round off to the nearest dollar.

thanks!
Joel,

I'll be adding coffee to my order. I will have $25.00 Any extra is for the tip. Can't wait!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #342
Yzlvr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpete
Joel It doesnt look like you guys will have alot of xtra time but if you go up Quatal Canyon (DIRT) off 33 just befor Ventacopa it comes out at Cerro Noroeste rd then you ride the nice twisties down to 166 right at Soda dry lake rd
Have Fun
I like that Pete!
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #343
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669
The current conditions are pretty good out here right now. I rode up the Elkhorn Grade on the way home from work, expecting to see some sections of mud, yet it was quite dry. The odds are good that we will stay ahead of the storms. If we make the Pozo Saloon, there is a pavement route out of there. I will haul 2 gallons of extra gas in case it is needed.

I may eat breakfast at ¨The Place¨ in Ventucopa, and meet all of you at the Ozena fire station on 33 south of Lockwood Valley Road. When is the estimated time of arrival for this small army at Ozena and Maricopa?

thanks dave for the latest update! i'm pretty sure the FFs will be happy to make it to pozo. this is the best deal in the west even we don't make it through hi mountain.

after breakfast, i would think we will be ready to hit the road between 10-10:30 am. from deer lodge to lockwood valley is 36 miles or 30 minutes. whoever riding in front must keep an eye for your bike.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #344
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,534
Quote:
\ 36 miles or 30 minutes. whoever riding in front must keep an eye for your bike.

bwahahaha...the first rider my be there in 30....last rider...around the 90 minute mark....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #345
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzlvr
I like that Pete!
you can make it to maricopa just behind the group if you go that way
but you will need to haul ass last year I was pull'in in to maricopa as the group was leaving
Lot's of good jump's on that road... not for nOOb's

Windrat screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 09:10 PM
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote