ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #406
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669
Put a big tank and 15/42 gearing and your XR650L and it would work great on a ride like this. Or maybe even your Husky SM? Those are ¨Big Bikes¨ to me.
No, I want to keep both bikes as is, the SM is my ACH breakfast run bike, and the XR is set up just right for me. I can't see riding either bike for 400 miles!

I've been poring over what bike to get next and was leaning towards a 250 kart track tard or a KX500 for dez riding, but I already have those bases covered with existing bikes, so I'm thinking I need a bike with longer legs to do some Anza Borrego, SD and longer adv rides like this one. That way, I'll have a bike for all of the rides that I want to do!

LOVE the pix!
CR250R
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #407
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
keep the tradition and i have a proof....

yeah, good day and a perfect weather with lots of FFs... mike, we should get together and do another big bike ride again.

i was just trying to see what's the underbelly of the pig so i put it to sleep. it was uphill and didn't put my weight on the front (after 3 months of rehab, i forgot how to ride... ), then as i try to make the turn, the front tire washed out.

really lucky i didn't get hurt, but dang bmw, everytime it get's dropped even a gentle one, it cost $200 in parts...
Joel,

I am changing out my windscreen to a GSA model I bought. If you need my old GS screen PM me.

Bob

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #408
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl999
No, I want to keep both bikes as is, the SM is my ACH breakfast run bike, and the XR is set up just right for me. I can't see riding either bike for 400 miles!

I've been poring over what bike to get next and was leaning towards a 250 kart track tard or a KX500 for dez riding, but I already have those bases covered with existing bikes, so I'm thinking I need a bike with longer legs to do some Anza Borrego, SD and longer adv rides like this one. That way, I'll have a bike for all of the rides that I want to do!

LOVE the pix!
What do you think about the ktm 640 adventurer? I was thinking about one on my ride home yesterday. I am on fence right, either get a new bike or put some cash into the xr650l. My top choices right now ktm 690, 640a and f800. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #409
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
What do you think about the ktm 640 adventurer? I was thinking about one on my ride home yesterday. I am on fence right, either get a new bike or put some cash into the xr650l. My top choices right now ktm 690, 640a and f800. Ben
Ben,

Sorry if I was riding a bit close on the 101 last night. After it got dark, I could not see that you had a headlight at all. I know that my HIDs were very bright, trying to shine some light on a FF.

Bob

F*CK CANCER
Old 01-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #410
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova
good to see you guys (and girl) for our annual Ojai to Pozo ride-- what a beautiful day in the Carrizo wilderness! Next time i want to motel it somewhere in SLO to be able to explore the Pozo area without having to rush back home the same day . . .

Btw, i rode 34 miles after hitting reserve on my 4 gallon IMS tank coming back through Soda Lake Rd last night, and still have a lot of fuel left in those shrouds hanging below the petcock!

hey dan, now you brought it up, if we can get a good amount of interest, let's make it an annual even!......

after riding 300 miles to pozo moteling would have been a better way to end the day. jon thought of it, but i'm more worried about getting caught by the sat night rain and sunday storm in SLO. tried to be logical to an illogical weather forecast.

next year, SLO motel it is. then spend the following day cruising 101 and hw1 on the way home.

after gathering all the riders from l.a., we hit the rode at 8:10am (sorry jim)

the 11 roxford boys rode to santa paula

bmw or ktm, it didn't matter. it's a big bike ride..

the gas station was packed with FFs; there are more waiting in ojai..

damned mighty shiny 990s

nowwhat airing out!.....

soon we abandoned the gas-smelling gas station..

santa paula under a gorgeous sky

downtown ojai

made it to deer lodge with plenty of time to spare. this is the only day in the restaurant's history where the adv bikes out numbered the harleys.

the brokeback gs8 has a special parking space

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #411
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112
Joel,

I am changing out my windscreen to a GSA model I bought. If you need my old GS screen PM me.

Bob

thanks bob, i keep a spare windshield in my garage for the inevitable.......

if you're not using that little plastic thingy that hold the shield to the headlight chassis, i will take it.

Quote:

ben, for the most bang for the buck...the 640A is hand's down winner. i did the baja and cedric ride on mine and didn't even worried about running out of gas.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #412
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
thanks bob, i keep a spare windshield in my garage for the inevitable.......

ben, for the most bang for the buck...the 640A is hand's down winner. i did the baja and cedric ride on mine and didn't even worried about running out of gas.
Joel,

The most wize one. I had not thought to keep a spare. I am going to have to keep the old one for a spare for when my GS goes to sleep.

Bob

F*CK CANCER
Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #413
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
My 690 is good for about a 300 mile day but that's not with the stock seat
With the right gearing it is good for 65 to 70 all day (plenty left to pass )
the gs800f and a xr400 would be a nice pair.. no matter how much you spend one bike it can only do so much
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #414
fxdlmatt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112
Ben,

Sorry if I was riding a bit close on the 101 last night. After it got dark, I could not see that you had a headlight at all. I know that my HIDs were very bright, trying to shine some light on a FF.

Bob
I was glad you were running with us. With the tail light on my KLR out and the headlight pointing too far down b/c of a bent bracket, I was glad to have some increased visibility.

--Matt
fxdlmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #415
Tech Town
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Got in at 1pm today after camping in santa ynez. got caught in the rain for about 30 mins coming out to santa barbara. great ride.
Tech Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #416
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdlmatt
I was glad you were running with us. With the tail light on my KLR out and the headlight pointing too far down b/c of a bent bracket, I was glad to have some increased visibility.

--Matt
Matt,

No problem. Glad to ride with you.

Bob

F*CK CANCER
Old 01-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #417
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 904
Just got home

I'm home now.

After Pozo, I rode over to Morro Bay for the night. I camped at Morro Strand State Beach. It looks like they are closing the park due to the incoming weather. The rangers were making sure everyone was leaving today and they told the campground host that he would have to pull out his RV.

There was mostly light rain on the way back to OC. Nothing major.

I'll post my pics later.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #418
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
All great choices, but I was wanting something inexpensive, low maintenance, and plentiful parts supply. So, I'm leaning towards the Kawi Versys, that bike would fill my needs perfectly.

I want something larger than a single with a large gas tank, but capable of light fire road duty. I think a Versys with Avon Distanzias would be perfect for what I need, I already have enough single cylinder bikes!

But, I'm in no hurry and will take my time, I have a good stable of bikes to keep me entertained as it is.
CR250R
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #419
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
hey dan, now you brought it up, if we can get a good amount of interest, let's make it an annual even!......

after riding 300 miles to pozo moteling would have been a better way to end the day. jon thought of it, but i'm more worried about getting caught by the sat night rain and sunday storm in SLO. tried to be logical to an illogical weather forecast.

next year, SLO motel it is. then spend the following day cruising 101 and hw1 on the way home.

I like the idea of making this a 2 day ride, camping would be fine with me.....

the long ride home in the dark wasn't much fun
Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #420
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat
I like the idea of making this a 2 day ride, camping would be fine with me.....

the long ride home in the dark wasn't much fun
ADV riding... and comon sense how's that work
I'm impressed Go Cathy Go
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote