ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #421
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat
I like the idea of making this a 2 day ride, camping would be fine with me.....

the long ride home in the dark wasn't much fun
I don't like riding in the dark at all, hit freeway debris like a chunk of truck tire tread and watch out!

I use to have a Kawi Concours and did a LOT of sport touring around Cali and the western US. We always called it a day at sundown, grabbed a shower, clean clothes, dinner, drinks and party time!

NorCal has some awesome roads and the scenery is stunning! The 49er area, Mount Shasta and Hwy 36 come to mind! Not to mention Lake Isabella, Kennedy Meadows, etc in the local area.
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #422
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat
ADV riding... and comon sense how's that work

adv riding is pretty much expect to deal with all the elements and hardships. without those it's just motorcyling.....

Quote:

yeah, night riding is an entirely different matter. at least you realized your limits and next time you can choose your path.

last night i tried to keep a steady speed of 60 most of the time for that reason.

it's only the crazy l.a. weekend riders who came up with the full moon ride and call it fun!......... even tougher, some guys did the 2 mountains full moon ride....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #423
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,260
Quote:

Carrizo has a couple of pretty neat campgrounds.. not much used at this time of year. Could be a good idea, with a couple of us local-yokels around to haul in wood, supplies, food, etc.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #424
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

waiting for food; and another obligatory pictorial for nw... btw, what happened to regulator?

greg's harley riding friend thinks that's one funny salute

jon's not very happy here.... .....preordered his breafast the night before just to see one of the FFs eating his food...................
Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #425
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking
Carrizo has a couple of pretty neat campgrounds.. not much used at this time of year. Could be a good idea, with a couple of us local-yokels around to haul in wood, supplies, food, etc.

very tempting walt...

let's wait and do it when they open hi-mountain (i hope)....

while the FFs are drinking beer, i rode to the pozo entrance of hi mountain and it's confirmed!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #426
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
very tempting walt...

let's wait and do it when they open hi-mountain (i hope)....
yep.. maybe a Springtime redux of this ride
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #427
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
oceano dunes is a nice place to camp also.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #428
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

the ride to maricopa

hw33 - lots of curves

dave true to his words...came on time, waited for us and brought gas for whoever runs out

? unknown rider, ben and tim

randy, chris, and bob pulling in

a rider from o.c.

nice harleys in the mix

jon won't get off the saddle so eric can't beat him to the punch again...

heading towards where the sky is clear

the conga line

the usual stop in maricopa; the only thing that changes is the gas price

more pics tomorrow, smug experiencing sunday traffic.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #429
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Wait.

You guys got in the area and the gate was closed so you are going to try again in the spring?

Strom is back on track and so am I

Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #430
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Town
Got in at 1pm today after camping in santa ynez. got caught in the rain for about 30 mins coming out to santa barbara. great ride.
nice you were able to stretch your weekend adventure...

i see 2 matts made it home safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM
I'm home now.

After Pozo, I rode over to Morro Bay for the night. I camped at Morro Strand State Beach. It looks like they are closing the park due to the incoming weather. The rangers were making sure everyone was leaving today and they told the campground host that he would have to pull out his RV.

There was mostly light rain on the way back to OC. Nothing major.

I'll post my pics later.
i guess the stormed forced you to home then....hey randy, wish i have at least half of your adv spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
Wait.

You guys got in the area and the gate was closed so you are going to try again in the spring?

Strom is back on track and so am I

hope to See Super Sue....great, you healed up pretty quicly.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #431
peanut_gallery
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Thanks Joel for setting this up, it was a lot of fun, and it was nice to meet the rest of you FF's.
And I think those GS's just like to take naps cause mine decided to to the same thing in about the same spot.

It was a long day and other than that black suv on the 101 that decided they needed to exit even if that ment they had to drive over me, it was an uneventful ride home.

Thanks again Joel, looking forward to next time.

There is a natural human reluctance to abandon ones entire life and start over somewhere else - Jeff Lindsay
peanut_gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #432
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Question Ojai - Carrizo - Pozo Annual Ride

It is starting to sound like some of you want a little more of this stuff. Well as Walt mentioned, you might want to check out CEDRIC III. This is an epic..... well read last year´s CEDRIC II Ride Report.
It includes all the stuff we rode Saturday, plus the good stuff.

If you want a camping ride up here, springtime or fall is better. Joel has hit three good days out here, on the last threee winters, but it is 50/50 on decent riding. We get below freezing most nights, after Thanksgiving, and a lot of fog.

In the Spring, you could make a longer trip from Ojai by heading east after the Ozena Fire Station (where I met the ride group). You have access to some good roads and trails between Lockwood Valley Road and the Hungry Valley riding area. Then down Cerreo Noereste to the Carrizo. When it is dry, some of the more challenging roads can be ridden by big bikes. Two decent campground out here: The KCL (just off from Soda Lake Road), and The Selby (this is the one that the ADVrider crew helped work on during Public Lands Day 2008). The Selby has incredible views of the plains. On the second day head to Pozo, eat lunch, High-Mountain should be open, and you could be back south at a decent hour.

And any time you want to head up here on your own send me a PM if you have any questions about conditions.
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #433
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
waiting for food; and another obligatory pictorial for nw... btw, what happened to regulator?
Here I be! Met some great people and had a good time riding with Windrat! Next year maybe I'll be able to add a Big Bike to the stable but untill then... I'll just have a good time trying to keep up!

"I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you!."
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #434
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669
It is starting to sound like some of you want a little more of this stuff. Well as Walt mentioned, you might want to check out CEDRIC III. This is an epic..... well read last year´s CEDRIC II Ride Report.
It includes all the stuff we rode Saturday, plus the good stuff.

If you want a camping ride up here, springtime or fall is better. Joel has hit three good days out here, on the last threee winters, but it is 50/50 on decent riding. We get below freezing most nights, after Thanksgiving, and a lot of fog.

In the Spring, you could make a longer trip from Ojai by heading east after the Ozena Fire Station (where I met the ride group). You have access to some good roads and trails between Lockwood Valley Road and the Hungry Valley riding area. Then down Cerreo Noereste to the Carrizo. When it is dry, some of the more challenging roads can be ridden by big bikes. Two decent campground out here: The KCL (just off from Soda Lake Road), and The Selby (this is the one that the ADVrider crew helped work on during Public Lands Day 2008). The Selby has incredible views of the plains. On the second day head to Pozo, eat lunch, High-Mountain should be open, and you could be back south at a decent hour.

And any time you want to head up here on your own send me a PM if you have any questions about conditions.
dave, i'm IN on cedric III....................................as long not in conflict with the assault on tahoe II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator
Here I be! Met some great people and had a good time riding with Windrat! Next year maybe I'll be able to add a Big Bike to the stable but untill then... I'll just have a good time trying to keep up!
duane, i have an xr4 and it's tough on the bod to ride long distances. glad you found another ride otherwise the fun ends when the dirt is gone.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #435
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 894
Here are my pictures

I only took a few pictures on Carrizo Plain and my pics at Deer Lodge came out unfocused. Also I just looked at my helmet cam video and it turns out I put the camera on upside-down. So now I got about 3 hours of upside down video.

Anyways, a few pics on Carrizo Plain.

After Pozo, I split off to head over to Morro Strand State Beach to camp overnight. The fee was $35 for the night. Not a bargain when you consider that Motel 6 in Morro Bay is about $45+tax per night. The campsites have picnic tables and fire pits. There is water and flush toilets nearby. The campground does not have showers, but the campground host said that campers can go to nearby Morro Bay State park, to take showers, if they want.

Here is the campsite in the morning.

If you camp there, the best sites are on the beach side or the bluff side. The campsites on this island, in the middle of the parking lot, are very small.

Morro Rock, the towns namesake landmark, is visible from the campground.

Walking dow to the beach, I saw this guy hanging out.

Manged to sneak a little closer to him.

Closer still, about 30 feet from him.

I had some fun taking pictures of birds on the beach.

Snowy Plovers

Long Billed Curlew

These guys were a trip. They were in a large flock feeding in the surf. They would follow the receding wave out towards the ocean feeding as the went. Then when the next wave came in, they run back toward land, barely ahead of the wave, just like little kids do. Then they follow the receding wave back out again. They moved fast and were hard to photograph.

A couple more pics of the rock.

The dunes on the beach. The perspective for this photo did not work out so well.