Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
DanMac OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Valves were very tight, after fix bike runs lean?

So my 82 xs400J (Dohc engine) started to backfire real bad a while ago. I pulled the valve cover and saw the exhaust valves were tight(about .05mm outta spec). The intake was also a bit tight, so after correcting that they are all on the loose end of the acceptable spectrum.

Right now it starts fine, idles as good as it ever did, and seems to run great except for 2 conditions:

1. WOT -- It doesn't bog down, but it does seem to hesitate. It will slowly climb but it sounds awful while doing so. If I go to about 75% open it runs awesome.

2. Mid range -- Around 5k-6k it has a deadspot. Power just disappears, until around 6k then it starts picks back up and really screams.

This has me thinking its running a bit lean because it is a bit slow to return back to idle.

My question is this:

Could this be caused by a lean condition now that the valves are on the loose end of the spectrum? Also, can someone else confirm that those symptoms are typically caused by lean conditions? I've got great spark, I cleaned out the carbs when I did the valve adjustment but did not change any settings and even rechecked everything(float, jet size, etc), they are correct to manuf. specs. Nothing is modified on the bike.

Thanks so much! :)
DanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,940
This belongs in Old's Cool....not Airheads. Please ask a mod to move you so you can get help from the appropriate people
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
DanMac OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
!

Will do! Thanks :) :)
DanMac is offline   Reply With Quote